Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 03:28 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
If I had some nosey, busy-body pretentious-snob/HOA-nazi control-freak walk up behind me uninvited, while I had my back turned, totally engrossed with something under the hood of my OWN vehicle, in my own garage or on my OWN driveway, just to 'notify' me that whatever I was doing 'goes against' some idiotic by-law or looks 'unsightly' or 'offensive' to the surrounding community, I can tell you that that is ONE unlucky individual who'se day will NOT be ending very well.

Seriously, is THAT how things really are these days, out in 'gated-communities' ?

If so, then I feel NO sense of shame whatsoever, that I am not doing nearly as well as I once dreamed of becoming.

Who the hell really NEEDS that kindof B.S. ? ? ?
My, aren't you hostile. That's how things are in SOME gated communities. But most of the people who buy in them are smart enough to read the CC&Rs that came with their property and rarely have the time or inclination to work on their own cars anyway, so they don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 04:12 AM

426 posts, read 423,798 times
House hunting tip. Skip house where the neighbors had:
1. Hood up. (Working class)
2. Cars parked on the street. (Multi-family)
3. Cars parked in drive way. (Teenagers)
4. Bar window and door. (Dangerous)
5. Roof need of repair (about to foreclose)

Old 03-18-2016, 06:49 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,648 times
Why in the hell would I want to spend time working on my car when there are so many other ways to spend time that are actually fun? I can take my car to the dealership for any work it needs.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:50 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have restored two cars in my driveway and garage, including engine swaps, welding and paint.
Rarely am I as glad I live in a community with an HOA as I am when I read posts like this.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:37 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,245,614 times
I was helping my wife's co-worker check out a used car. when I popped the hood the owner was AMAZED. "wow you really know your way around a car".

Me: "uh, yeah"

Old 03-18-2016, 07:51 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Why in the hell would I want to spend time working on my car when there are so many other ways to spend time that are actually fun? .

For some of us, working on our cars is a hobby. Maybe not the wife's mini-van, but I enjoy spending my Sunday AM's drinking a coffee in the driveway and poling around a bit on my weekend car.

Anyway, to answer the question, I've never noticed neighbors working on their cars, and TBH, I'm not sure it's the neighborhood where I'd see that. It's a more upper middle class neighborhood where people own newer cars that frankly don't need much. You might see someone pop the hood to put washer fluid in, but that's about it. There are also garages in every house, so if someone were to do work, (like myself) it would be inside the garage and out of sight.

I personally wouldn't want to see my neighbor yanking an engine in his driveway and taking 3 weeks to fix it in plain sight of everyone. I expect my neighbors don't want to see it either.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-18-2016 at 08:00 AM..

Old 03-18-2016, 08:06 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,603 times
Modern cars do not really need much servicing. I have probably opened my hood to work on my car with 100k miles 3x. Once for routine maintenance (spark plugs) once for brake job, and once for a failed cord running to the head gasket temp sensor. Quick jobs that likely dont result in the neighbors being worried about me working on my car.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:07 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
House hunting tip. Skip house where the neighbors had:
1. Hood up. (Working class)
2. Cars parked on the street. (Multi-family)
3. Cars parked in drive way. (Teenagers)
4. Bar window and door. (Dangerous)
5. Roof need of repair (about to foreclose)

How stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Rarely am I as glad I live in a community with an HOA as I am when I read posts like this.

My, aren't you the well rounded automotive enthusiast...

I've done complete hot rods and restorations in my garage and driveway, and have done that sort of work FOR my neighbors, who know me as the go to guy when they need automotive issues solved.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:10 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
My HOA doesn't have any restrictions on car repairs but I hardly ever see anyone pop the hoods on their cars in my area. It's a typical middle class neighborhood but I guess people are too busy or uninterested in doing a little wrenching on their own. I feel like I'm in a deserted wild west town when I have my hood open checking stuff or refilling washer fluid.
When I'm checking my oil, etc. I actually do it IN my garage...the garage door may be up or not, since I'm not running the car. Maybe others don't feel the need to be on display or they have adequate lighting inside? ...I get the feeling you may like being "cowboy".

Old 03-18-2016, 09:42 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Only one of my neighbors ever lifts the hood of his cars, and he is very thorough with doing most of his own servicing.

Regarding one of my other neighbors, almost every time that I have the hood up in order to check fluids, or change filters, that guy comes over and asks, "What's wrong with your car?". When I explain that nothing is "wrong" and that I am doing preventive maintenance in order to prevent problems, he gets a very confused look on his face, and then walks away. I think that this neighbor is like one of my former co-workers who could not distinguish between maintenance and repairs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive