Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 01:25 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,552 times

Advertisements

We've got the Blazer, TR6, Skylark, and our Odyssey in our driveway. They're all in good working order, so hoods aren't up often.
dslr18 022 by FordTorino73, on Flickr

There's a guy with a 1965 F100 down the street, and sometimes the hood is up on it, but it's in immaculate shape.
Then there's another guy with a 2nd generation/late model Corvair convertible, also in immaculate shape so the "hood" isn't normally up.

Then there is the "BMW house", with an E34 5 series and an E36 318ti. They just got the E34 up and running again (it was on flat tires in their driveway for months - not that that's a big deal).
dslr27 021 by FordTorino73, on Flickr

We also have multiple places in Augusta, GA and it's just random there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 01:42 PM

639 posts, read 579,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Is that you smakkin your head saying. I could have had a Toyota v8?

Old 03-18-2016, 01:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
I pop the hood once in a while to verify that I have no clue what's in there.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
A lot of folks go to Pep boys or auto parts store parking lot to change oil or do work there. There's a huge trash bin full of car fluid containers.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:05 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
My HOA doesn't have any restrictions on car repairs but I hardly ever see anyone pop the hoods on their cars in my area. It's a typical middle class neighborhood but I guess people are too busy or uninterested in doing a little wrenching on their own. I feel like I'm in a deserted wild west town when I have my hood open checking stuff or refilling washer fluid.

No one would know I'm a mechanic by watching my house. I do 100% of the work in the garage (prior houses), a relatives shop building (current, 3 miles away) or my own shop building (future). You'd never know because you'd never see... no, I don't leave the garage door open either, at least not more than 1'. I can't abide nosey neighbors looking through my garage.

Stop judging people by what you do or don't see.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:07 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
Is that you smakkin your head saying. I could have had a Toyota v8?
No, I'm smacking my head because the "I don't need to check under my hood because I have a Toyota" statement is nothing short of ludicrous. EVERY make of car needs to have its fluids checked periodically between oil changes if the owner wants to avoid the possibility of destroying the engine or the transmission.

I have a friend with a Rav-4, and if I didn't check and replenish his oil 2-3 times between oil changes, he would have blown the engine long ago. Assuming that ANY make of car is totally bulletproof (and not in need of periodic under-hood checks) is so naïve that it is difficult for me to believe any adult would make that statement.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
No, I'm smacking my head because the "I don't need to check under my hood because I have a Toyota" statement is nothing short of ludicrous. EVERY make of car needs to have its fluids checked periodically between oil changes if the owner wants to avoid the possibility of destroying the engine or the transmission.

I have a friend with a Rav-4, and if I didn't check and replenish his oil 2-3 times between oil changes, he would have blown the engine long ago. Assuming that ANY make of car is totally bulletproof (and not in need of periodic under-hood checks) is so naïve that it is difficult for me to believe any adult would make that statement.

You think they were 100% serious or kinda kidding making a point. Just like the op, is he talking about people filling there washer fluid, or is he asking if anyone works on there car anymore?

Old 03-18-2016, 03:21 PM

So what is the point? some people are in there home rebuilding there computer or finishing there basement. people decide when and where to save money by doing projects themselves based on what there comfortable doing or comfortable paying for. I will never work on my car again, use to do it all. Now I'd rather pay someone. My time is more valuable to me then always saving 30$. I love how people on here ALWAYS ridicule people for not working on there cars. Some of them may be operating on someones brain instead.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
My HOA doesn't have any restrictions on car repairs but I hardly ever see anyone pop the hoods on their cars in my area. It's a typical middle class neighborhood but I guess people are too busy or uninterested in doing a little wrenching on their own. I feel like I'm in a deserted wild west town when I have my hood open checking stuff or refilling washer fluid.
Mine does, or I'd be digging around under my hood a lot more than I do. If I had a clean garage, I'd probably take care of most of the basics. For now, tho, I've decided to let the pros do it except for fluid checking and some other basic troubleshooting. Thankfully, my Accord has been good to me for the past 19+ years.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:52 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
You think they were 100% serious or kinda kidding making a point.

I can't say for sure, but there are definitely people out there who never bother to do any under-hood checks between oil changes, and then they are appalled when their engine self-destructs. And, there are people who think that Toyotas are somehow immune from mechanical and/or electronic problems.

So, whether the OP was serious or not, I can guarantee you that there are people out there who would say the same thing that he did, and they would be deadly serious.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive