Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:25 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times

Advertisements

I open the Hood every week or so. It has become a routine maintenance thing to check that everything is fine. Coolant level, Oil level, Tire Pressure, Battery and I try to clean the Car. Regular maintenance of Car helps me to prevent big bills at Car mechanic shop. If my neighbours do not like me opening the Car hood, well I cant help it. Maintenance works at Home, appliances, Car, Utilities should come naturally to people. This iphone app generation knows nothing about the thrill in opening the hood of the car.

Last edited by munna21977; 03-18-2016 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 08:27 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Thankfully, new cars require very minimal maintenance that can be taken care of by someone else while I spend my time doing other things.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:34 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Thankfully, new cars require very minimal maintenance that can be taken care of by someone else while I spend my time doing other things.
Yeah too bad they don't require minimal payments every month. I don't mind doing infrequent repairs on my used vehicles. I do mind $250+ a month coming out of my bank every month for years and more expensive insurance.

Everyone is different though some people like popping open the check book every month and others like looking out the window at a paid off vehicle that needs occassional repairs.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:47 PM

104 posts, read 108,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Pop the hood? I bet 99% of the population these days doesn't even know how to open the hood let alone do anything under it. Don't you know the cell phone zombies of society have an app for that? It's right under their breathing app, eating app and sleeping app.
Ha, ha. No joke. I just found out about "Instagram". Apparently it is in vogue to take a picture of your food and post it online before you eat it. Maybe Dr. Nakamatsu is more famous than I thought!

Old 03-18-2016, 09:18 PM

486 posts, read 842,791 times

Old 03-18-2016, 11:54 PM

388 posts, read 536,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
If I had some nosey, busy-body pretentious-snob/HOA-nazi control-freak walk up behind me uninvited, while I had my back turned, totally engrossed with something under the hood of my OWN vehicle, in my own garage or on my OWN driveway, just to 'notify' me that whatever I was doing 'goes against' some idiotic by-law or looks 'unsightly' or 'offensive' to the surrounding community, I can tell you that that is ONE unlucky individual who'se day will NOT be ending very well.

Seriously, is THAT how things really are these days, out in 'gated-communities' ?

If so, then I feel NO sense of shame whatsoever, that I am not doing nearly as well as I once dreamed of becoming.

Who the hell really NEEDS that kindof B.S. ? ? ?
Oh please.
In that situation, the ONE unlucky individual with a bad day would be you.
You would have been the one that decided to live in an HOA community, and thus would have to follow the rules... whether or not you want to act like a tough guy about it.

Now I assume by your response you don't live in an HOA community, or one that has strict rules about car repairs... so you wont be faced with that situation.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:26 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
And from your response, sounds as if you'd like to 'try' me. Not a good move, considering that a fair-amount of time and money was spent on my training at Macdill, not all that far from you. Gotta be careful who'se feathers you ruffle, Bunky.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:55 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
And from your response, sounds as if you'd like to 'try' me. Not a good move, considering that a fair-amount of time and money was spent on my training at Macdill, not all that far from you. Gotta be careful who'se feathers you ruffle, Bunky.
Oh, puhleez!!
It is obvious you have never encountered an HOA or CCRs. If/when you do, you will soon learn that in a confrontation over the rules, you will lose, the Board will win, nearly every time. You WILL follow the rules, or sell out and move! But, having lived in Wyoming, I know that such communities are the exception, not the rule, so you can be forgiven for not knowing what you are talking about.
As for your training and advice, do you know for sure who you are mildly threatening? I would guess NOT! For all you know, he could be better trained and meaner than you are or could ever hope to be!
Yes, "Bunky", ya gotta be careful who's feathers you ruffle!
As for me, I am a Vietnam veteran, and a retired Seabee (Construction Mechanic First Class).
But, I am also old (74), so I avoid smartaleck tough guys like you.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Well, I don't live in a middle class neighborhood, but there are 2 gearheads I know of right off the bat.

The first is my neighbor across the street. He owns a cab company and has tons of cars (classic, collector, performance, off-road stuff, huge RV, etc). I'll sometimes see him wrenching something.

The other one is my neighbor on the street behind me. I don't know what he does for a living (even though our kids hang out from time to time), but he spends pretty much all his time off fixing up cars (classic sports cars and Mercedes) and then selling them to get another project.

Neither violate HOA rules bc pretty much all the houses have 3 (or more) car garages and circular driveways and I know that my cab company neighbor has a separate facility somewhere else for storing all his toys.

I used to like to do stuff with my cars back in the day, but I popped the hood of my most recent acquisition and the whole thing is totally covered with plastic...i was like, 'Hell with this." Haven't bothered going back.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:14 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
I top off my washer fluid, check oil, and check tire pressure inside my garage usually. I've changed headlight and tail light bulbs.

The door is rarely up when I do those things, so neighbors would not have a clue. Likewise, I have no clue what neighbors do in their garages either. Nor do I care!

All oil changes and other maintenance is done by others. I have better things to do with my time, and I would much rather pay someone else to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive