Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 04:03 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times

Advertisements

For the mechanically inclined opening the hood and checking is a normal part of being a car owners.

For the non mechanical opening the hood is like an Atheist opening a bible, there are things in there that are meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 04:06 PM

104 posts, read 108,201 times
Since we have not got this American "credit" thing down yet, we rent.

Everyone here has their hoods up everyday. Most cars here do not drive and people share rides and drugs...

Old 03-18-2016, 04:30 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
I don't pay enough attention to the neighbors to know whether or not they ever open the hood of their cars.
I open mine now and then.
We do not have an HOA. Good thing, too! I am an Amateur Radio Operator. An HOA board would have apoplexy if they saw the 48 foot antenna tower I am going to install this summer!
Not to mention the pickup in the driveway, the 32 foot motorhome beside the house (soon to be in the driveway for the summer), the street legal ATVs that we frequently ride around the neighborhood, the 7 X14 trailer and 5X8 trailer that are parked out back, and the fact that the neighbors and I leave our trash containers out by the road all the time, for OUR convenience!
I even roll my Shopsmith out of the garage onto the driveway, and convert wood to noise, sawdust, and chips!
We sold the horses, though. We got tired of hauling hay, and when it went over $5 per bale, well...
the neighbor, however, has five at last count. He has had as many as eight.
Another neighbor now has only two, down from 5.
We all like our little rural community.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:50 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Pop the hood? I bet 99% of the population these days doesn't even know how to open the hood let alone do anything under it. Don't you know the cell phone zombies of society have an app for that? It's right under their breathing app, eating app and sleeping app.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
So what is the point? some people are in there home rebuilding there computer or finishing there basement. people decide when and where to save money by doing projects themselves based on what there comfortable doing or comfortable paying for. I will never work on my car again, use to do it all. Now I'd rather pay someone. My time is more valuable to me then always saving 30$. I love how people on here ALWAYS ridicule people for not working on there cars. Some of them may be operating on someones brain instead.
For people who enjoy maintaining their vehicles and fixing cars it has nothing to do with saving money. It's about being self sufficient and feeling pride of fixing a problem without relying on someone.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:33 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
I have not looked under a hood in maybe 15 years, never needed to.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I have not looked under a hood in maybe 15 years, never needed to.
You pay a mechanic to?

Old 03-18-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
You pay a mechanic to?
Once a year for an oil change, other than that, never needed a mechanic.

I have not used a mechanic other than for oil changes and one brake repair in over 20 years.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Once a year for an oil change, other than that, never needed a mechanic.

I have not used a mechanic other than for oil changes and one brake repair in over 20 years.
I have been doing all my own work since 1997 and i pop the hood on my vehicles at least once a week just to look and fill windshield washer fluid etc..

Popped the hood two days ago to check the oil and good thing i did because the coolant overflow tank had a slow drip leaking from the hose. Cut the end of the hose back a few inches and reclamped it now it's not leaking.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I have been doing all my own work since 1997 and i pop the hood on my vehicles at least once a week just to look and fill windshield washer fluid etc..

Popped the hood two days ago to check the oil and good thing i did because the coolant overflow tank had a slow drip leaking from the hose. Cut the end of the hose back a few inches and reclamped it now it's not leaking.
My oil change includes topping off the fluids.

My cars have not broken down enough to spend money on tools to do it my self. My oil change is around $35. My apartment does not allow for oil changing in the parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive