Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I don't think they are talking about the car reliability, I would assume they are talking about the power delivery(power grid).
noi was referring to the cars themselves. when you add stuff to the car, there are more things that can break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 10:59 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
I have gotten in a few hybrids and never really notice any power issues. I was able to get to 85 near eagle pass without any problems and stay at it.. not sure why people think they are less power? But your calling gas cheap? I remember paying 10 bucks and fill up the tank, and some can remember 5.. but 2-3 a gallon aint cheap.. highway robbery. Should never cost more than 25 to fill up a tank period, if they want the economy to survive. If it hits the magic 3-4 a gallon, you can repeat the 20xx bubble for sure. Back to the point.. i have gotten in a volt and a tesla before and man those things got power.. u just tap it and they take off like a race car.
This is silly. Adjusted for inflation, gasoline prices are currently below their historic average.

Energy companies expend tremendous resources searching every region of the earth to locate, extract, refine, and deliver fuel to within a few miles or less of wherever you live, and after all that they'll sell you enough of their product to shove your 3,500 pound car a mile down the road for all of 10 cents, and you think that's highway robbery? If you think you're getting off, go do your own oil exploration and refine it into something that will power your car without gunking up your motor, bring it back to your home, and put it in your car.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
This is silly. Adjusted for inflation, gasoline prices are currently below their historic average.

Energy companies expend tremendous resources searching every region of the earth to locate, extract, refine, and deliver fuel to within a few miles or less of wherever you live, and after all that they'll sell you enough of their product to shove your 3,500 pound car a mile down the road for all of 10 cents, and you think that's highway robbery? If you think you're getting off, go do your own oil exploration and refine it into something that will power your car without gunking up your motor, bring it back to your home, and put it in your car.
Yes, gas is cheap. Consider that when I bought my first new car in 1973 it cost $2,500 and gas was 40 cents. The last new car I bought was $25,000, and that was discounted from $32k, so over 10 times more. That would put gas at $4 now with the same inflation, yet it's still under $3, or 25% less.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:50 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
So with the cost of batteries going down and more power, why arent car makers going hybrid across the line? You would think with solar in the south, you have lot of hood and roof space for electric cars or charging the batteries.

Because electric is breathing into their necks. Someone just announced development of a battery with 3 times LiIo capacity, what will raise electric range way past hybrids. So why bother? The very moment they will figure a 500 mile electric with $25K price tag, what is not that far away, hybrids go boink.
What manufacturers ARE doing is doing electric. You simply don't see many of them on the road yet.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:12 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What manufacturers ARE doing is doing electric. You simply don't see many of them on the road yet.
IMO, by about 2030, EV's are gonna get real, real serious.
The first affordable long range EV just hit the street, so it's still a couple of generations away.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:02 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
The advantage to hybrids is mostly in-city stop and go driving. On the highway, a conventional engine and transmission is about as efficient, without the cost, weight, complexity and space penalties of hybrid technology. Hybrid vehicles are not the Swiss Army knife of the automotive world.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Thats what the previous administration tried, if Gas went to $5 gal they would have been very happy, they had their foot on Americas oxygen tube.
They're gone now. I believe there is more oil in the US than anywhere in the world, including the mid east.

I use lithium power tools, they are awesome but the technology is still not there ...yet.
When the technology comes of age they wont need to offer incentives.
The previous administration drove oil prices very low to put the squeeze on Putin's imperial ambitions. Russia depended on oil and gas revenues to fund their army. The current administration is much happier at the prospect of a resurgent Russian empire. Expect gasoline prices to continue to creep up as the Obama/Kerry deals are abandoned.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:13 PM

17,307 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
I have gotten in a few hybrids and never really notice any power issues. I was able to get to 85 near eagle pass without any problems and stay at it.. not sure why people think they are less power? But your calling gas cheap? I remember paying 10 bucks and fill up the tank, and some can remember 5.. but 2-3 a gallon aint cheap.. highway robbery. Should never cost more than 25 to fill up a tank period, if they want the economy to survive. If it hits the magic 3-4 a gallon, you can repeat the 20xx bubble for sure. Back to the point.. i have gotten in a volt and a tesla before and man those things got power.. u just tap it and they take off like a race car.
Inflation...look into it. Invest to protect against it.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:28 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
This is the reason, we simply do not WANT hybrids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eid_t67VK3Y

I've driven a hybrid (Prius) and it was like driving a bumper car at the amusement park. Nothing beats 8 cylinders and lots of HP ! The automakers realize it and build cars to fill that need.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:48 PM

17,307 posts, read 12,251,233 times
There are a few cases where the hybrid is actually faster than the non-hybrid version of a car. Like the current RAV4. Then you've got things like the hybrid NSX at the extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive