Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 09:29 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Have you read through this thread? Yes, the self parking feature is frivolous. But people are complaining about AC and airbags. Folks don't want ABS. I guess they enjoy having their brakes lock up in the middle of a skid.
If you know how to brake properly, the ABS is not necessary. I have ABS in my truck, and it has come on fewer than 5 times in 12.5 years. In NONE of those instances was it actually needed. Quite the opposite—when the ABS comes on it alarms me and I ease up on the brake.

If you feel comfortable driving in braindead mode, so be it. But those of us who put first priority on driving (not phoning, texting, swatting loose dogs, screaming at kids, gawking at yard sale signs or accidents) might prefer that ABS be optional, not standard.

In other words, the point we geezers are making is that such technologies should not be forced on buyers as standard equipment. They should be choices selected by the buyer.

If they want to offer the option of an in-car pizza oven, I don’t care, as long as it is only an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 09:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,737 posts, read 58,090,525 times
What gizmo would you like to see in your next car?

Crank windows
Manual door locks
NO electronics
NO plastic
Definitely NO SPARK plugs!(no ignition system) (Got rid of the need for that item in 1976)

Old 11-25-2017, 10:45 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
What gizmo would you like to see in your next car?

Crank windows
Manual door locks
NO electronics
NO plastic
Definitely NO SPARK plugs!(no ignition system) (Got rid of the need for that item in 1976)
That’s basically a horse and buggy.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:53 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
If you know how to brake properly, the ABS is not necessary. I have ABS in my truck, and it has come on fewer than 5 times in 12.5 years. In NONE of those instances was it actually needed. Quite the opposite—when the ABS comes on it alarms me and I ease up on the brake.

If you feel comfortable driving in braindead mode, so be it. But those of us who put first priority on driving (not phoning, texting, swatting loose dogs, screaming at kids, gawking at yard sale signs or accidents) might prefer that ABS be optional, not standard.

In other words, the point we geezers are making is that such technologies should not be forced on buyers as standard equipment. They should be choices selected by the buyer.

If they want to offer the option of an in-car pizza oven, I don’t care, as long as it is only an option.
Geezers are the ones who need it the most. Those are the people backing into cars and driving away completely oblivious. They need to learn to let the robots do some of the work since those synapsis aren’t firing like they used to. Everybody gets distracted or tired. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:15 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
How about a list of the gizmos we'd rather have removed as standard equipment because we don't want them, will never use them, don't want to pay for them, and don't want to deal with them when they malfunction and produce a warning light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
agreed. i dont need crap like traction control, ABS braking, GPS, etc. give me something like my 64 falcon, with perhaps cruise control and EFI, and keep the crap out.
these are good technologies for sure,and i do hope they make it to the public.
Some of those items you don't want are required by law these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I wish we could just go back to ordering a vehicle with only the features an individual needs/wants...I would gladly be willing to wait a few months for a vehicle meeting my exact specifications (or at least relatively close).
You can still do that, but be prepared to pay more than you would for a car with all of the options. Car factories are optimized to produce cars with a standard set of options. Making changes interrupts the flow, and costs the manufacturer more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I would like real bumpers and no airbags. Something like a 1932 Ford coupe with modern engine and brakes.
"Real" bumpers are dangerous to the driver and to anything the car hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Tachometers are useful for stick shift drivers.

They should be standard equipment with manual trannies and optional with automatics.

I once had a truck with stick shift and no tach. Did not “need” it because I was experienced with manuals, but it is definitely helpful.

AND for any car, the tach allows you to add information if troubleshooting. For example, you notice that a certain noise or malfunction occurs at xxxx to XXXX rpms.
Get an OBDII reader. It will let you see the freeze frame information for any issue that turns on the check engine light, and will show the RPM, fuel pressure, etc, etc.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The old timers in this thread are funny. It's 2017. Who complains about AC, airbags, power windows, or cruise control. These are not frivolous extras.
People who wish they could still buy a Model T.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:31 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
People who wish they could still buy a Model T.
I suppose the top speed of 45 mph would be all right for some who never drive the freeway. But the hand crank start would bother most of them.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Lol, it is like some people just woke up one day in 1982 and said "I will never like anything new past this date" and called it a day.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:01 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,035 times
some things I would love to have
-rain sensing wipers
-power retractable hardtop
-keyless entry and push button start
-seat heaters
-HUD with night vision
-level 5 autopilot

Manual transmission will soon be dead and I think I'll be ok with losing that option.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:41 PM

604 posts, read 856,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
HUD. It's been around for ages. But never really caught on. I find it extremely helpful when you have the tach displayed.
Earlier this year I spent several months working in Germany. My rental cars were equipped with a HUD. I loved it! I also loved driving on the Autobahn. Germans take driving more seriously than we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive