Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 07:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,734 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, it is like some people just woke up one day in 1982 and said "I will never like anything new past this date" and called it a day.
Actually, 1962 would be ok.

Most options (ac / power windows / ps / pb / ...) + fairly safe and capable high (enough... 130+) speed vehicles were available by then.

We had fully electric vehicles + plug in parking in all our USA factories by 1976.

We’ve come so far

My 50 mpg free fuel vehicles will easily exceed any USA speed limit and do so for 500,000 low maintenance. Miles. Works for me for the remainder of my 40+ more yrs of driving. Quite low cost / mile (under $3, including all operating costs, as well as Cost of vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 07:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, it is like some people just woke up one day in 1982 and said "I will never like anything new past this date" and called it a day.
This happened to me in 1990 when I was able to buy a SAAB 900 TC equipped with everything I wanted and nothing frivolous. Nice car, plenty fast enough, great handling and well appointed sensible interior.

I would be perfectly happy to buy that exact same car brand new today...perfectly happy.

The "old" folks just realize how very nice a much simpler car can be. LoL

Old 11-25-2017, 08:17 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Geezers are the ones who need it the most. Those are the people backing into cars and driving away completely oblivious. They need to learn to let the robots do some of the work since those synapsis aren’t firing like they used to. Everybody gets distracted or tired. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying.
Geezers have the maturity to know it is time to stop for the night. And to not text or cell-phone while driving.

Some younger people’s brain synapses (yes, synapsEs) never did fire correctly and still don’t.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:20 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Some of those items you don't want are required by law these days

You can still do that, but be prepared to pay more than you would for a car with all of the options. Car factories are optimized to produce cars with a standard set of options. Making changes interrupts the flow, and costs the manufacturer more.

"Real" bumpers are dangerous to the driver and to anything the car hits.

Get an OBDII reader. It will let you see the freeze frame information for any issue that turns on the check engine light, and will show the RPM, fuel pressure, etc, etc.
Yeah right, read a tiny digital display while driving. The tach provides near-instant feedback on when the noise or malfunction occurs. The OBDII is useful in addition to that visceral feedback, later on.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:34 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I suppose the top speed of 45 mph would be all right for some who never drive the freeway. But the hand crank start would bother most of them.
The hand crank start would be a bonus for these Luddites.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:53 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
This happened to me in 1990 when I was able to buy a SAAB 900 TC equipped with everything I wanted and nothing frivolous. Nice car, plenty fast enough, great handling and well appointed sensible interior.

I would be perfectly happy to buy that exact same car brand new today...perfectly happy.

The "old" folks just realize how very nice a much simpler car can be. LoL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Geezers have the maturity to know it is time to stop for the night. And to not text or cell-phone while driving.

Some younger people’s brain synapses (yes, synapsEs) never did fire correctly and still don’t.
I'm a geezer and I appreciate and embrace all the new technology. I would never want to go back to a 1990 vehicle. Talking on the phone is easy when you have Bluetooth and texting is easy when you have Apple CarPlay.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:10 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Yeah right, read a tiny digital display while driving. The tach provides near-instant feedback on when the noise or malfunction occurs. The OBDII is useful in addition to that visceral feedback, later on.
That was implied. You can't get the freeze frame data until later, anyway, since it's not on one of the display screens most OBDII apps show.

Remember kids, trying to read the little text words in your OBDII app while driving is as bad as texting.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:15 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,050,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
How about a list of the gizmos we'd rather have removed as standard equipment because we don't want them, will never use them, don't want to pay for them, and don't want to deal with them when they malfunction and produce a warning light?
What car do you drive might I ask? The reason why I ask is because when my wife was purchasing her Lexus 2 years ago, there was an elderly customer in there complaining he couldn't "choose" to get rid of all the gizmos he didn't want. On a freakin' Lexus!

Last edited by Remington Steel; 11-26-2017 at 12:29 AM..

Old 11-26-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
agreed. i dont need crap like traction control, ABS braking, GPS, etc. give me something like my 64 falcon, with perhaps cruise control and EFI, and keep the crap out.

these are good technologies for sure,and i do hope they make it to the public.
Welcome to the 21st century.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The old timers in this thread are funny. It's 2017. Who complains about AC, airbags, power windows, or cruise control. These are not frivolous extras.
I was just about to reply with the same thing....lol

Next thing you know they will complain because they can't find any shop that will service their 1980s vehicle that they refused to part with...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive