Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 02:44 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Yes they are, no one needs those features, or TPMS, backup cameras, 'blind spot' warnings, auto parking, the list goes on and on. If you want them go ahead and get them, the problem is it's almost impossible to get a new car without them.

Millennials have no idea what "frivolous" means.
Unless the entire rear end of your car is made of glass everybody needs parking sensors and backup cameras. The only reason you haven’t backed over a 5 year old yet is pure luck, not superpower driving skills.

Blind spot warning should be mandatory. Just relying on everybody being an old geezer who is fully engaged is just wishful thinking.
Is it really that hard to live with a car that tells you your tire pressure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 02:56 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Here we go again. The question, including the OP, is not one of liking or disliking any feature, it is BEING FORCED TO TAKE IT AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT rather than as an option.
It’s standard equipment because either the feds deem it so or it’s so popular it’s economically more feasible to give it to everybody to avoid engineering a one off Luddite-mobile. People afraid of technology usually buy used stuff anyway and auto manufacturers don’t make money on second hand cars.
Safety features are required because we don’t want to pay into your insurance when you find out you’re not as good of a driver as you thought you were or get hit by somebody else. Most people won’t opt for a safety feature if they can save a couple bucks. It’s only after the accident they think it would have been a good idea.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:43 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
No Gizmo's for me, I like to focus on driving and be in control. This is the main reason I don't see myself buying new ever again. My 2005 has the perfect amount of gizmos needed to make my drive comfortable.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
Honesty wouldn't mind a self closing lift gate if I end up buying another midsized SUV but that's just because I'm not tall. Having to forcefully yank it down with the strap and then hurry and get my hand over the back of the door to push it down is pretty awkward.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:39 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,560,991 times
Self alignment technology. Hit a pothole or rub a curb accidentally - then hit a button and go drive it for a few miles while it adjusts itself back to center. That, would be awesome!

Maybe self balancing wheels too? Some loose weight gadget inside your tire that automatically can find the sweet spot for a flawlessly smooth rolling of the tire/wheel, and stays there.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:18 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,155,294 times
In dash Android headunit, with the works, rear camera,Bluetooth, GPS, usb microsandisk reader,all in a 7" screen.

Heated seats, front and back.

Heads up display

Wool fabric seats.

Driver's seats reclining to a sleeper.

Front split bench seats in smaller cars

Column shifter

Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I

Driver's seats reclining to a sleeper.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:43 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,155,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Many cars have this feature already, aka/ full seat recline. Great for road trips when the driver can use a big nap. Also great for couples needing a little space for the business.

The matrix, and element has this feature, a slim twin , for a quick nap.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
A rear facing laser for tailgaters.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:47 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,673,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Honesty wouldn't mind a self closing lift gate if I end up buying another midsized SUV but that's just because I'm not tall. Having to forcefully yank it down with the strap and then hurry and get my hand over the back of the door to push it down is pretty awkward.
I am tall and I've gotten smacked by those self-closing/opening lift gates. Nor do I have the patience to stand there and wait until they close/open. This is another reason that I think a lot of these features should be options and not standard equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive