Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 02:30 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times

Advertisements

Self driving. Completely autonomous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 05:04 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,606,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Agreed. I'd like to remove:

Backup sensors
Tire pressure monitor
automatic climate control
Power windows and door locks
adjustable suspension, steering, and throttle mapping
ABS
automatic headlights and DRL
auto dimming mirrors
rain sensing and intermittent windshield wipers
speed sensing volume on the radio
pushbutton start
automatic locking glove box
navigation system
cruise control
heated seats and steering wheel
etc
etc.
After writing about all of the things that I'd like to remove, I actually though of something that I'd like added:
cooled and ventilated seats.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:11 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
How about a list of the gizmos we'd rather have removed as standard equipment because we don't want them, will never use them, don't want to pay for them, and don't want to deal with them when they malfunction and produce a warning light?
^^^^^^This. Not only is all this technology expensive to buy, it also is expensive to fix when it breaks. Price tire pressure sensors when they go bad. I don't want MFD's, more computers, cameras, radar, auto stopping, self parking, etc. I can drive my car. I don't want computers doing it.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:56 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I would like my next car to have self parking. Parking here is all parallel parking and sometimes it is a pain the $%&#$%
I would settle for windshield wipers that actually wiped the windshield without leaving huge gaps.

RR

Old 11-26-2017, 08:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
After writing about all of the things that I'd like to remove, I actually though of something that I'd like added:
cooled and ventilated seats.
You can get those "Bead-Seat-Covers" <$5 in most Asian countries. (Or for $30 on Amazon or eBay)

*btw: None of my pre 1980's cars have ever been to a fix-it shop, nor do I ever expect them to need to go there.

3m miles in beaters... never towed for repair (yet)... 40 more yrs of driving to be availed that 'opportunity'.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
My next car will most likely be 5 or 6 years from now. I tend to unload cars at 7 to 8 years before Vermont road salt causes problems.

I have a 2015 6-cylinder Subaru Outback. The things it's missing are:
heated steering wheel (now available in the top trim level)
auto folding side mirrors (available in Europe, I suppose they could be bolted on)
Air conditioned seats
Mirror my iPhone and touch screen on the NAV screen

I'd like a fully autonomous car but I'm not convinced it will be ready for prime time in 5 to 6 years.

My girlfriend has a Volvo S-80. I'd like those seats, pleeeeze. I'd also like a much quieter car. The weight to horsepower ratio I have now is fine.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:28 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,674,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm a geezer and I appreciate and embrace all the new technology. I would never want to go back to a 1990 vehicle. Talking on the phone is easy when you have Bluetooth and texting is easy when you have Apple CarPlay.

This is fine, but I'm one of the apparently few people who actually just drive while driving...minimizes the need for much of the active safety stuff (lane assist ect) as well. I'm not implying that new tech is bad for the people who want and will use it but it's mostly fluff to me.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:38 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm a geezer and I appreciate and embrace all the new technology. I would never want to go back to a 1990 vehicle. Talking on the phone is easy when you have Bluetooth and texting is easy when you have Apple CarPlay.
Here we go again. The question, including the OP, is not one of liking or disliking any feature, it is BEING FORCED TO TAKE IT AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT rather than as an option.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:58 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Here we go again. The question, including the OP, is not one of liking or disliking any feature, it is BEING FORCED TO TAKE IT AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT rather than as an option.
Spot on. Just like being forced to buy an auto transmission because manuals are getting rare.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
This is fine, but I'm one of the apparently few people who actually just drive while driving...minimizes the need for much of the active safety stuff (lane assist ect) as well. I'm not implying that new tech is bad for the people who want and will use it but it's mostly fluff to me.
No, get over yourself. I drive. I don't text, I don't talk on the speakerphone, no children, no pets, etc. I drive and I appreciate having additional safety features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive