Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 11:25 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times

Advertisements

Gee, thanks, OP. That was some great information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 11:33 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
In the real world the "speed limit" is the minimum people are expected to drive, anyone who's been out of drivers ed for more than a week can see that. Very few drivers drive as if it were the real "limit", the police don't enforce it as a "limit" even speed cameras don't trigger for less than 12 mph over.

If the speed limit nazis would drive like everyone else there would be fewer traffic problems. The only reason the roads work at all is because everyone agrees to a common set of driving behavior. The 10% who can't think for themselves and must not ever drive over the arbitrary number some bureaucrat selected are the problem.

If the speed addicts would obey the speed limit, there would be fewer traffic problems. The traffic laws DEFINE the "common set of driving behavior", and deciding that YOUR preference should be what everyone does, whether that be ultra slow or faster than the legal speed limit, doesn't increase that common set of driving behaviors but diminishes them.

If everyone drove at or very near the speed limit, as is intended, these issues would not arise.

If everyone obeyed all of the traffic laws, we would, indeed, have "a common set of driving behavior". So you who drive very fast and those who drive very slow, ignoring the speed limit because you don't like it, just as those who ignore the keep right law and other traffic laws, are the ones who initiate the problems, whether you want to admit it or not.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:36 AM

17,298 posts, read 12,228,591 times
You’ve got that backwards. Speed limits are supposed to be set according to common behavior. Specifically what speed would result in 85% of drivers going at/below a specified limit if there was no posted limit.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
You’ve got that backwards. Speed limits are supposed to be set according to common behavior. Specifically what speed would result in 85% of drivers going a specified limit if there was no posted limit.

And once that limit is set, it should be obeyed. 15% of the drivers on the roads today are nowhere near as special as they perceive themselves to be.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:38 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
But if you are ticketed, chances are really good that it was because your speed was NOT reasonable and prudent for the conditions (all those pesky other drivers on YOUR roads, for example, whose vehicles aren't just like yours and whose experience and ability is not as good as you think yours is).
Just stay in the right lane and do you.

But he's right. In Arizona the speed limits are reasonable prudent laws, not absolute. If you got pulled over, it's because the police officer believed your speeding was not prudent.

In AZ, you can get passed by State Troopers while speeding yourself. Happens a lot actually as long as you aren't being reckless. That's right, the police speed right along with everybody else and usually pull over that one guy switching lanes or going faster than everybody else.

Why so many people on this forum demand a nanny state on everybody eludes me. Just live your own life and don't worry so much.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:55 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Just stay in the right lane and do you.

But he's right. In Arizona the speed limits are reasonable prudent laws, not absolute. If you got pulled over, it's because the police officer believed your speeding was not prudent.

In AZ, you can get passed by State Troopers while speeding yourself. Happens a lot actually as long as you aren't being reckless. That's right, the police speed right along with everybody else and usually pull over that one guy switching lanes or going faster than everybody else.

Why so many people on this forum demand a nanny state on everybody eludes me. Just live your own life and don't worry so much.
There’s a difference in geography, population density, and wildlife. Imagine going well above the posted highway speed limit and before you could hit the brakes a deer or moose has entered your path. In parts of the Gulf Coast areas it’s rare but there have been instances of an alligator on the road. By the time you realize it’s there it may be too late. Roads with hills and blind curves are also a speed danger. Sure many sports cars can take those roads at high speed, but you don’t know what’s on the other side of that hill or curve. Take it too fast and you won’t have time to react. Just because the vehicle is capable of such speeds doesn’t mean the driver is capable of handling the machine properly. If you have such a machine and you think you can handle it properly then take one of those high performance/defensive driving courses offeredby some manufacturers. There are private schools that offer similar courses. Go ahead, take those courses.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:55 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
It is more than obvious that many posting in this thread do not know the meaning of the word "Limit".
Limit means a set figure, or amount, that should not be exceeded.
Let me use this as an example of the word limit.

Suppose you ask me for a loan, and I reply, I have a set limit I can loan you, and can't go beyond it.
The limit is $100.
You have risked your chances of getting any money if you demand more than $100, because that is the limit I will loan.

Limit is a set amount, be it money, or the amount a container is capable of holding, or what states say one can drive their vehicle as it applies to forward motion.
Now, what part of the word"Limit" do some of you not understand?

Bob.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:01 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
There’s a difference in geography, population density, and wildlife. Imagine going well above the posted highway speed limit and before you could hit the brakes a deer or moose has entered your path. In parts of the Gulf Coast areas it’s rare but there have been instances of an alligator on the road. By the time you realize it’s there it may be too late. Roads with hills and blind curves are also a speed danger. Sure many sports cars can take those roads at high speed, but you don’t know what’s on the other side of that hill or curve. Take it too fast and you won’t have time to react. Just because the vehicle is capable of such speeds doesn’t mean the driver is capable of handling the machine properly. If you have such a machine and you think you can handle it properly then take one of those high performance/defensive driving courses offeredby some manufacturers. There are private schools that offer similar courses. Go ahead, take those courses.
Well that would be imprudent wouldn't it?

Old 07-15-2018, 12:10 PM

17,298 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And once that limit is set, it should be obeyed. 15% of the drivers on the roads today are nowhere near as special as they perceive themselves to be.
The limit is also supposed to be regularly updated after doing traffic studies so that it always reflects that 85%. So you really think only 15% of people exceed a 55mph interstate limit?

Old 07-15-2018, 12:15 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
My 2010 4Runner is perfectly happy up to 85, which is the fastest I've driven it. Totally stable, and with good handling.

Yeah..no. The 4Runner might handle better than some of the giant body-on-frame pickups/SUVs, but simply isn't in the same league as a good car. I've driven recent 4Runners and the handling required me to make significant speed adjustments relative to my car. A 4Runner is probably safe at 85mph but with less margin for error than something like an Accord. Interestingly, reviews of the latest 4Runner indicate its soft and floaty - not a recipe for evasive maneuvers. I'll give you credit for realizing the limitations of your vehicle and keeping speeds under 85. Its seems that many SUV/pickup owners aren't aware of their vehicle's inferior handling and drive them like they're in a car - a recipe for disaster. Ever wonder why SUVs and trucks have federally mandated rollover warning labels affixed to the sun visor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive