Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 05:52 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,318,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Ford could have sold the previous Ranger forever. Done.
No, they couldn't. You don't get how regulations work, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 10:48 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,615 times
I rode in my wife's uncle's 80s Ranger, and just thinking about it gives me claustrophobia. I we were to have been in an accident they would have been scraping my knee caps out of the glove box.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:52 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No pansie 20 something here. Just a 40 year old who is smart enough to know what works best for him without injecting ego into it.

1. I can only afford one vehicle.
2. Most of my driving annually is back and forth to work in NYC
3. Parking is frequently an issue
4. I have kids and need seats for them.
5. My only towing EVER is one jetski, 8-10 days of the year.
6. I hunt. That’s the ONLY reason I want a bed. I hunt from late-Sept to Dec. That’s only 3 months.

I tried the pickup thing twice: a 2001 Frontier and a 2016 Ram. The Frontier was pretty good for me but a semi rearended me in it. The Ram was a disaster for my lifestyle. Didn’t even make it to hunting season. My father took it thankfully.
Honda Ridgeline sounds like the only bet here since it's really just like the Pilot with a flatbed and it does have 2 rows of seating and it is very comfy in the back. It's not wider than a Pilot. I drive the Pilot in around NYC and it is fine, parking is always a challenge regardless but you should only park in lots and street parking is a big no.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...copying-270371

Old 02-05-2019, 12:59 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
If the Ranger and the s10 were selling they would still be making them but they were not selling and they were not going to keep losing money on something that’s not selling.
To say automakers were "losing money" making small pickups is a false and misleading statement.

Automakers were making plenty of money making small pickups but they claim to make bigger profits producing bigger vehicles, thus the reason they are marketed so heavily.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:53 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
To say automakers were "losing money" making small pickups is a false and misleading statement.

Automakers were making plenty of money making small pickups but they claim to make bigger profits producing bigger vehicles, thus the reason they are marketed so heavily.
They were losing money because they weren’t selling can’t make money on a vehicle that’s not selling enough to make a profit.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:00 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

They were losing money because they weren’t selling can’t make money on a vehicle that’s not selling enough to make a profit when are people going to accept the fact that the original Ranger pickup wasn’t selling anymore not enough people were buying them you are all in a minority when it comes to pickups, full-size is what was selling not just because of a higher profit but because no one wanted the small pickups anymore at least not enough for Ford to make money on.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...ing-the-ranger

Old 03-06-2019, 12:21 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times
https://www.motor1.com/news/307924/f...up-spy-photos/

https://www.motor1.com/news/275911/v...united-states/

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-06-2019, 05:19 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Looks like a reworked Honda truck.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:07 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
No, they couldn't. You don't get how regulations work, do you?
Of course they could.

How long has Nissan been using the same platform on it's small truck?
How long has Toyota been using the same platform on it's small truck?

Add a few airbags. Backup camera, etc. and voila. A modern small pickup truck.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:51 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
They were losing money because they weren’t selling can’t make money on a vehicle that’s not selling enough to make a profit when are people going to accept the fact that the original Ranger pickup wasn’t selling anymore not enough people were buying them you are all in a minority when it comes to pickups, full-size is what was selling not just because of a higher profit but because no one wanted the small pickups anymore at least not enough for Ford to make money on.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...ing-the-ranger
The old Ranger program, even when selling enough for the twin cities plant to be at full production, still lost a considerable amount of money per unit. (On a variable cost basis, too, which excludes company wide fixed cost allocations.) The whole structure of that old program was just broken. Bad plant, bad suppliers, bad cost structure, bad everything.....the minute the CAFE rules changed then the march to "sunset" the old Ranger began. It was not going to help offset CAFE penalties anymore.

This current "T6" Ranger program has been in the works for many, many years. It started selling in other countries in 2011 for goodness sakes, and now we are finally getting it in the US. The reason for that, after the bloodbath that was the last Ranger program, is because all the Ford execs were determined to make sure the Ranger would be profitable if it was ever reborn in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive