Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 12:32 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,167,323 times

Advertisements

Depends on one's needs.

I got both since they offer different advantages, a sporty sedan cannot be compared with a sluggish SUV/truck while a sedan is not good to hauling stuff...

Old 07-06-2019, 12:41 PM

12,463 posts, read 9,550,156 times
For quietness, ride and handling, fuel economy - I prefer coupes and sedans. To have a dog or two in the back, or do some light hauling, I prefer hatchback, crossover wagon or SUV. For hitch mounted carrier or towing, it's SUVs or pickups. I have never broken down and bought a pickup - I don't have enough need for that and the disadvantages outweigh the advantages for me. No one vehicle is right for everyone - depends on your needs, priorities and budget.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:42 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,055,843 times
I have owned many sedans, but probably won't own one again.

Trucks, SUV's and sports cars serve all my needs for fun, accessibility and load capacity.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:57 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
I have no need for a truck bed, but many I know have trucks and never use the bed. They claim it rides better, and today they are just as well appointed inside as sedans. My friend's Chevy Silverado is a rolling technology center including wifi. My preference has ben an SUV with 4WD for a long time.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:25 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
For quietness, ride and handling, fuel economy - I prefer coupes and sedans. To have a dog or two in the back, or do some light hauling, I prefer hatchback, crossover wagon or SUV. For hitch mounted carrier or towing, it's SUVs or pickups. I have never broken down and bought a pickup - I don't have enough need for that and the disadvantages outweigh the advantages for me. No one vehicle is right for everyone - depends on your needs, priorities and budget.
These days trucks and suvs are often quieter and have a better ride than cars, however cars will always have the advantage of better handling due to the lower center of gravity, less weight, etc

Old 07-06-2019, 03:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
I have prefered trucks because I do landscaping, gardening, furniture resto, and camping/backcountry access.

But if someone made a decent economical minivan with 4WD/AWD, good clearance, and a decent towing capacity for a trailer, I would be in line to buy it.

Basically, I like and need cargo space, so a sedan would never cut it as a primary vehicle for me. If I were rich, I would have a car for every purpose. As it is, I need versatility.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:41 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
I really wanted a truck but I settled for a Toyota 4 Runner because it's more practical for me AND it sits up way high.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:45 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
I like vans. Including mini-vans that aren't mini, like the Toyota Sienna, Honda Oddity etc. Gas mileage is slightly better than trucks or SUVs, you can get at the blankets and cooler when taking the family on vacations, great for hauling a Cub Scout pack, etc. I almost never off-road a vehicle, and the van's versatility is great.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:18 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,853,977 times
I have always preferred pickups and the true SUV's based on the pick up chassis since my first vehicle, a 76 Jeep 2 door Cherokee. Then several Broncos and after a trial of a Wrangler and a Caprice, went back to the trucks, this time super cabs with 6 1/2 ft beds. All the comforts of an SUV with interior lockable space plus a useful length bed for handling everything else. Besides, the full size 1/2 tons ride much better and are much more comfortable then any sedan I have ever been in. And they must have 4 wheel drive!

Old 07-07-2019, 03:32 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Sedans used to be known for superior ride quality, but ride quality has gotten much better in SUV’s and trucks in the past 15 years. Sedans generally get better gas mileage. Sport sedans, coupes, and roadsters generally hold the road better and have better acceleration. I think cars almost always looks better than their SUV counterparts.

For outward visibility, it’s hard to beat a high riding vehicle like a truck or SUV. Although some companies chose to negate that advantage with tiny windows and giant blind spots. Trucks generally tow better. If you haul gas lawnmowers and mulch, I’d much rather have a truck. If you haul things that you’d like to keep dry, an SUV is better suited. If you haul a bunch of people, a van or minivan is much better.

If you live in a city where parking is at a premium and spots are small, a full size truck or SUV can be fairly miserable.
For loading kayaks and surfboards and stuff, I’d much rather have something with a lower, more accessible roofline.

For hauling cargo, I prefer a full size cargo van as the loading floor is much lower and you can fit cargo all the way up to the front seats and not have to worry about anything blowing out of the bed.

Every vehicle type has its compromises, you just have to pick the one that has the least compromises for what you plan to do the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive