Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 06:28 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I'm still in the process of getting a drivers license but I usually prefer SUVs and trucks over sedans because I like sitting up higher. Anyone else?
If you are just getting to A to B buy what you like. If you are a "driver", you would need something with some performance/handling and braking. That you can't get in any SUV or pickup. Sure they are fine for what they are, but they suck compared to a good sedan/car. I drive a very high end performance car and it is kind of fun messing around with the dopes in pickups that think they are an Indy driver. I also see those same pickups in wrecks on the side of the road often because they are delusional about what they are driving.

You will get the SUV and just float to place to place. Get poor fuel economy and drive your large brick around. I have a small SUV for run-around crap and city driving/parking in lousy areas. It works well for that and I know I have to drive it slower and give a lot more room because it sucks at everything, but it is my beater even though it isn't a cheap vehicle.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:33 AM

6,365 posts, read 4,193,409 times
It’s a definite trend, for a variety of practical reasons since many auto makers are producing less sedans and more SUV’s in order to meet the demand. It’s a very obvious transition.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:40 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Absolutely.

I've primarily owned coupes or sedans. They're annoying to get stuff in and out of it. Less cargo room and less of what they do have is practical.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:50 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,937 times
I sold my S550 Benz and bought a Z71 Tahoe. Easier to pull my bike to the track. Other than that, dont drive much.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I'm still in the process of getting a drivers license but I usually prefer SUVs and trucks over sedans because I like sitting up higher. Anyone else?
Given the number of people who don't really need more than a sedan but choose an SUV instead, I'd say lots of people are in your camp.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:01 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I really wanted a truck but I settled for a Toyota 4 Runner because it's more practical for me AND it sits up way high.
They are great vehicles and one of the few body on frame SUV's still available in the U.S. In fact that and the Jeep Wrangler may be the only ones left.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:08 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
They all have their dis/adv. So far the most versatile has been a minivan but that's mainly because we are a 5 person family now; sliding doors, low lift height, easy to drive, easy to park, can drop the seats and haul stuff. Our compact sedan was probably the least favorite. For single person, I found the hatchback the best configuration; add a hitch for a small trailer and bikes. I also currently commute in a small convertible; I'm always alone, drop the top on a nice day to take the edge off the commute, depreciate like bricks, decent gas mileage. My first college bound vehicle was a Jeep; easy to fix/maintain, cheap (back then), hauls like a mini-pickup (I didn't have back seats), fun to drive, sucks gas (main issue I had). My convertible and mini-van get the most use. Our SUV sits a lot; not good enough MPG for my commute, not configured proper for 3 small kids w/adults and stuff. So I'm looking to trade the SUV in for an equally used pickup that will be more for hauling stuff (rather than people).

For the OP, I'm guessing single young person.. possibly destined for college. I'd go with a compact SUV/CUV. It is the closest to a hatchback configuration. Gas mileage is going to important for a cash strapped person. Me personally, I'd still go for a hatchback (wagon .. exists?); better gas mileage, lower stance, better driving dynamics, still can haul/secure stuff, seats 4 adults, cheaper better tire selection, lower lift height, easier to park... basically the advantages of a sedan w/ the versatility of a rear hatch for storage. Do not under-estimate the capacity of a wagon/hatchback compared to an equally sized SUV.... SUV tall stance actually make the roof storage less usable. I hauled a bunch of lumber on my little hatchback and proper roof rack. It was a pain on my Jeep Wrangler back in the day.

Last edited by usayit; 07-07-2019 at 07:25 AM..

Old 07-07-2019, 07:26 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
According to the automakers pickups and SUVs are still the top sellers. As sedans continue to slide in sales.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/02/us-a...ck-demand.html

Old 07-07-2019, 07:48 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
I prefer SUVs over sedans every time. Nothing wrong with sedans but I just like SUVs more. I have a whole laundry list of reasons I could share but honestly they’d all be irrelevant to OP. You like what you like and my reasons for liking what I like may not be compelling enough to influence your decision. Find what you like within your means and enjoy it like it’s nobody else’s business!

Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,237,341 times
I have never enjoyed driving SUVs, but I love hatchbacks for their practicality and lack of blindspots. Sedans are increasingly less popular and most people are discovering the impractical nature of a tradition trunk as the immovable deck lid prevents larger items (like a mattress, cooler, large luggage, etc from fitting inside an otherwise spacious trunk. Additionally, modern sedans have increasingly large blindspots thanks to smaller rear view windows, larger C-pillars, and a lack of convex mirrors.

I think my gripe about SUVs is that I've never driving a good one. We have an old 4X4 Duramax with the extended cab and while it drives like a beast, I wouldn't expect it to drive any better than it does because it's a rugged truck. I would be disappointed in the Tahoe/Yukon format thinking it's driving dynamics, suspension, steering, and drivetrain should be more responsive.

On the flip-side, for long distances we prefer our Tesla Model S. While the seats are positioned low like a sports coupe, the minimal vibrations and aerodynamics makes 90mph feel like 60mph (it is so quiet inside). You get to you destination much less fatigued. There's also plenty of storage space in the front trunk and the rear hatchback. You can fit a full size mattress in the back when you put the rear seats down, and fit a couple of duffle bags and cooler in the front.

Perhaps I'm biased because we have 3 hatchbacks and 1 large truck. I just can't see a time when I'd be interested in an SUV. It's just so easy either fitting stuff into a hatchback, on the roof rack, or just through into the bed of the truck. A lot of SUVs have a roof rack option, but it can be an absolute pain loading and unloading when you're only 5'10"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive