Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 09:18 AM

12,474 posts, read 9,560,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have no need for a truck bed, but many I know have trucks and never use the bed. They claim it rides better, and today they are just as well appointed inside as sedans. My friend's Chevy Silverado is a rolling technology center including wifi. My preference has ben an SUV with 4WD for a long time.
The people who say that pickup trucks ride better than sedans, probably haven't owned a quality new sedan lately. Even a unibody SUV with fully independent suspension isn't in the same class IMO, let alone a body-on-frame pickup with a solid rear axle and leaf springs that's sprung for hauling and towing.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:30 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
It’s a definite trend, for a variety of practical reasons since many auto makers are producing less sedans and more SUV’s in order to meet the demand. It’s a very obvious transition.
Of course its all about trends. If a carmaker makes something with 5 wheels and a bubble roof, and the trend is to have one, everyone will figure out new reasons to have a 5 wheel bubble roof. Then they'll say "Ill never by a CUV again because they dont have bubble roofs. Im more comfortable in a bubble roof. I need a bubble roof because my dog likes it." People are only buying the SUV because everyone else is buying them, they look cool and I want to look trendy too. Some people dont even realize that theyre not driving a real SUV, its just a higher body on a car frame. Whatever the next trend will be, everyone will decide they "need" that.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:08 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They are great vehicles and one of the few body on frame SUV's still available in the U.S. In fact that and the Jeep Wrangler may be the only ones left.
I have to say it's fun to drive too. I really like it. I didn't get the third row seating since my kid is grown; and I have plenty of room to haul my two dogs around and I can fit my bike in the hatch too.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times
The moderators need to prohibit pickup/SUV vs sedan threads. Like left-lane blocking threads, there's never a reasonable outcome and everyone just gets angry at each other. Pickup/SUV advocates will never understand sedans and vice versa.

I've owned 6 or so new pickups over the years, the most recent was a 2018 Silverado LT Z71. Admittedly, the F150 would have been a better choice, but neither is even in remotely the same league as my 2014 Taurus SHO for daily usability. I despised the Silverado so much that I replaced it with a 2019 Ford Transit 350 15 passenger van after less than 5K miles. Other than towing, which means absolutely nothing to me, the Transit is far better than the Silverado at just about everything else. It handles better, is faster, holds an order of magnitude more stuff/people, front outward visibility is a revelation, and the Transit has much better steering and chassis dynamics.

The are plenty of use cases where a pickup makes the most sense. A daily commuter (at least not in my area) is not one of them.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Other than a 2 door Maverick family hand-me-down, I’ve never owned a car with a trunk. Everything I’ve purchased with my own money had some kind of lift gate or hatch.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
I just love the freedom trucks and BOF SUVs offer. After buying my first p/u 20 years ago I have never been without at least one or the other in my household. My first 4Runner was purchased mainly as a commuter back when I often took my large dog to work with me...really wasn't thinking at the time that I would be keeping it more than 3-4 years. As it would turn out I have ended up using that truck for everything from spur of the moment boondocking to multiple cross country trips, towing, hauling, moving, offroading, transporting injured wildlife, and so much more without complaint. Simply the best vehicle I have owned by a wide margin...opened the door to so much adventure and eliminated many of the excuses for not getting projects at home accomplished. Recently replaced it with an '18 but still keep it around for towing (v8) and Home depot runs. Yeah, there is nothing special about the driving experience (tho imho 4Runners are entirely comfortable vehicles) but they just allow a person to do so much it's a very reasonable trade off for me.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:47 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Latest figures show, Cars are only 30% of the market today, and SUVs and Crossovers are 47% of the market, which leaves pickups with 23% of the market.

Cars will soon be down to the point companies can no longer afford to build them. Car companies are shutting down car production, and converting their lines to build what the majority of people are buying.

The insurance institute, recently warned if you live in an area with lots of SUVs and Pickups, you should get one instead of a sedan due to the fact you are 3 times more likely to be killed if in an accident with a pickup, or larger SUV.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The people who say that pickup trucks ride better than sedans, probably haven't owned a quality new sedan lately. Even a unibody SUV with fully independent suspension isn't in the same class IMO, let alone a body-on-frame pickup with a solid rear axle and leaf springs that's sprung for hauling and towing.
Many of the older sedans rode better than the ones today. My mother’s Grand Marquis glides over road imperfections like they aren’t even there. To get a ride like that out of a sedan today you have to be wealthy enough to own something like a Lexus LS or Genesis G90.

Your average Altima/Camry/Fusion/Malibu will have a very harsh stiff ride by comparison. Modern low-profile tires certainly don’t help matters either.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:08 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Until 3+ years ago I avoided pickups and disliked SUV's (and still do). But once I got my first pickup (2014 Ram 1500) I fell in love, and recently upgraded to a 2019 Ram 1500. Love the Hemi, love sitting above traffic, love the spaciousness of the crew cab, and love the utility of the pickup bed. The '19 Ram rides like a car, and is very nicely appointed.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:17 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The insurance institute, recently warned if you live in an area with lots of SUVs and Pickups, you should get one instead of a sedan due to the fact you are 3 times more likely to be killed if in an accident with a pickup, or larger SUV.
Yep. Some of us have nearly bought that T-shirt. My Accord had the rear trunk area nearly severed by a full-size Dodge Ram in an unmarked county road intersection a few years ago. I was told by the fellow who ran over me that his Ram required no repairs probably due to the heavy brush guard he had on the truck.

I've driven full-size trucks since that accident.

Last edited by Beretta; 05-28-2022 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: pic removed by OP request
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive