Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 03:14 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times

Advertisements

Miata. As the acronym spells out, it's always the superior choice. For everyone.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:17 PM

5,675 posts, read 5,887,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Miata. As the acronym spells out, it's always the superior choice. For everyone.
Except that it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. And no, its not for everyone, nor a superior choice for anything but teenagers and old guys who are looking to hook up with someone other than their wife.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:33 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
I’ve only driven SUVs for 20+ years. Minivans before that but I had 11 kids; only the three youngest are left at home now

Anyway, I like the option for the three-row seats & I live in Colorado at 7,000 ft elevation, so I definitely want the 4-wheel drive.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
I don't tailgate, so don't care how high I sit. I prefer a sports car with a comfortable driver cockpit.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:07 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The people who say that pickup trucks ride better than sedans, probably haven't owned a quality new sedan lately. Even a unibody SUV with fully independent suspension isn't in the same class IMO, let alone a body-on-frame pickup with a solid rear axle and leaf springs that's sprung for hauling and towing.
Rural people need a pickup for hauling and towing. The rental outfits won't even hook you up with a 14' tandem axle unless you are driving a 3/4 ton.

Once you have the utility vehicle, the next stop should be something that's fun to drive, like the Civic Type R.

If you don't need to haul, forget the pickup and buy the Honda.

I do have a grannymobile SUV, but that's just because there is room in the back for the dogs.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:23 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,993,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Rural people need a pickup for hauling and towing. The rental outfits won't even hook you up with a 14' tandem axle unless you are driving a 3/4 ton.

Once you have the utility vehicle, the next stop should be something that's fun to drive, like the Civic Type R.

If you don't need to haul, forget the pickup and buy the Honda.

I do have a grannymobile SUV, but that's just because there is room in the back for the dogs.
Except a civic type r wont even make it home in a rural setting, lol!

Old 07-08-2019, 05:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Yep. Some of us have nearly bought that T-shirt. My Accord had the rear trunk area nearly severed by a full-size Dodge Ram in an unmarked county road intersection a few years ago. I was told by the fellow who ran over me that his Ram required no repairs probably due to the heavy brush guard he had on the truck.

I've driven full-size trucks since that accident.
It seems like most people I’ve known that were killed in trucks usually ran off the road and either rolled them or hit a tree.

In my opinion what makes trucks unsafe is lifting them. They handle okay when left stock, but when lifted with huge mud tires they get very top heavy and unstable. These are usually the ones I see wrecked.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:42 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Yep. Some of us have nearly bought that T-shirt. My Accord had the rear trunk area nearly severed by a full-size Dodge Ram in an unmarked county road intersection a few years ago. I was told by the fellow who ran over me that his Ram required no repairs probably due to the heavy brush guard he had on the truck.

I've driven full-size trucks since that accident.
About ten years ago, I was speeding near a red light, and had to stop hard as I could trying to stop hitting the truck in front of me. The person behind me was going even faster, hit me first, and I was in the middle of her hatchback and that truck.

Both of our cars were totaled. The truck sustained only minor damage and drove off after the police report.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:45 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
I love pickups. My last was an F250 PSD 4x4 that I had for 15 years, but I took a job a decade ago that requires driving 30K-35K miles per year, and the pickup, even though it was a diesel, was too expensive to operate for the measly income I now have. I traded it for a new Prius. Purchase price and operating costs are less than 1/3. That's significant!

Problem is I've wrecked it 3 times in the last 3 years! Twice I was stopped, once parked in a parking spot and just last week stopped at a stop sign. Rear-ended both times. In the other accident a deer jumped out in front of me and I couldn't quite miss it, so I had damage to both front and rear bumpers, front and rear right quarter panels and both right doors! The deer ran off!!

Incidentally, the vehicles that hit me in both cases were full-sized pickups, and they didn't look any better after the accident than my Prius did. I don't know their actual cost for repairs. Which reminds me, I've gotta go get an estimate for mine! I don't think it's quite totaled.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:01 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It seems like most people I’ve known that were killed in trucks usually ran off the road and either rolled them or hit a tree.

In my opinion what makes trucks unsafe is lifting them. They handle okay when left stock, but when lifted with huge mud tires they get very top heavy and unstable. These are usually the ones I see wrecked.
It's probably unfortunate that rural Americans, especially in Texas, need trucks to handle the lower than normal living and road conditions we have but knowledge of deaths in trucks by over-steering or hitting a roadside tree is certainly true for me as well. In the past few years I've known of two people who died as a result of accidents in pickups where each ran off the narrow highway. One supposedly over steered after running off the highway, ran back across and hit a tree in the median. The other was a local pianist who was renown Statewide who rolled his truck on one of our narrow farm to market roads several years ago and became a paraplegic. He has now died.

Regarding raised trucks, the pickup I had when I bought this old west Texas farm 10 years ago was a beautiful used "raised" 1991 GMC Sierra SLE (1990s). That Albuquerque 2wd truck had probably never seen a dirt road before I brought it out to the farm. I bought it simply because my wife liked it, as did every teenager I met, and it was a good deal and I did not have the farm. I got rid of it in my first year out here in the "toolies" and went to a 4x4 with unmodified suspension and normal sized tires.

Last edited by Beretta; 05-28-2022 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: pic removed by OP request
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive