Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type vehicle do you own?/Can you help me decide on a vehicle?
Large SUV 18 20.22%
Small SUV 18 20.22%
4 door sedan 37 41.57%
Cross over 6 6.74%
Extend cab truck 11 12.36%
Luxury car 16 17.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:58 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,149 times

Advertisements

My dear husband told me last week that I can get a new vehicle, anything I want, within reason. I was elated.

My dilema is that I have not kept up with the newer versions of vehicles and am at a total loss of what to do.

So, I thought I would let my friends at CD help me out by helping me with the different types of cars/suv/and crossovers.

I did drive a Ford Edge today and liked it. Also looked at a GMC crossover.

So, my dear online friends, would you - - - could you tell me what you have, if you like it and why; if you do not like it and why. Also, any new crossover owners out there? I really do want some room and am looking at these and suv's a bit. not sure of anything at the moment though.

So, i am depending on lots of answers here so I can go out and try out the top ones you guys have.

thank you..and am looking forward to this as I get to go out and drive all of 'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 05:29 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
You don't want what i drive, trust me.

Yukon XL with 8100 engine and 12mpg on a good day.

I use it work for and towing, but wow, it's like having two car payments with the gas bill.

Before I can give you any good advice, tell me about you.

How many kids? How much driving do you do? Do you need room to haul? Are you in the city? more rural? etc.

Give us the details of your situation and we can better advise you on your purchase.

I guess we can buy a new car vicariously through you!

Last edited by Alpha8207; 06-12-2007 at 05:43 PM..

Old 06-12-2007, 05:32 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
got kids????

Old 06-12-2007, 05:39 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
I was recently going to buy a Subaru ... well, I lost the name - oh, Outback. Great heavy feel to it, tight on the road, good storage. Not so great gas mileage, though.....I'm driving a 1997 Jeep Cherokee that has been paid for forever - no car payment, so the gas isn't eating me alive. I will drive it until the wheels fall off, or until it starts costing me more in repairs than a car payment would.

I rented a Dodge Caravan with the stow-and-go seats about 6 months ago for a road trip - it got about 26 mpg on the interstate, was a great ride, and had all the room in the world in it. That will most likely be my next vehicle....and I most assuredly am not a mini van mom type person - I'd love to have a big ole truck like Alpha's, but I can't afford it - I learned that after the Excursion (which is a FABULOUS, huge SUV that would probably cost $200 to fill up today....)

Old 06-12-2007, 05:47 PM

Red face Who I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
You don't want what i drive, trust me.

Yukon XL with 8100 engine and 12mpg on a good day.

I use it work for and towing, but wow, it's like having two ar payments with the gas bill.

Before I can give you any good advice, tell me about you.

How many kids? How much driving do you do? Do you need room to haul? Are you in the city? more rural? etc.

Give us the details of your situation and we can better advise you on your purchase.

I guess we can buy a new car vicariously through you!

Well, I have a 13 year old still at home who is heavily into baseball, I haul kids as well as bags of their equipment (my son is a catcher) to and from games all season long and in the summers.

I live in a rural setting, not too far from a larger city, but our area is growing now that Toyota has put down roots. I like to buy flowers and have been known to figure out how to get a chair or porch furniture into vehicles.

I won't need to haul anything since dh has a truck he can pull the boat with. Unless we need to take our pop up camper, but it is very light.

My son is on the coast and when I go down there, I usually take a lot of food and cases of water and gatorade with me and have easily filled up my mom's suburbon.

When dh and I go on trips, he likes to have room enough to put the front passenger seat down and take a nap, leaving me to fend for myself. We take at least three suitcases with us and a couple carryons and my laptop. I also keep a cooler full of drinks and knick knacks to eat on so I don't nickle and dime myself to death at convience stores along our route.

And I have a large Lab who loves to go places with us and weighs 115 lbs.

Usually when we go on vacation, we take extra kids with us. A couple years ago, we went to a favorite water park and took my mom's suburbon; and our truck. We had two 11 year olds, three teens and my dh and I and our luggage.

Since the oldest has moved out, we will usually have two kids as I won't let the youngest take more than one friend on vacation.

So appx 4 people and luggage for vacations.

I really like the heaviness of my mom's suburbon, but yes the gas kills me. The last trip to the coast, appx 6 hours of driving cost me 185.00 there and back, and that is a heck of a lot of gas money! So, I don't want anything too light, but maybe in between a light suv and the heavy ones. if that makes sense

Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
got kids????
yes, I do. I posted a bit about me, my habits, and what I usually do. Hope this helps. I am so excited to get a new vehicle that I WANT AND LIKE....so I want to really choose one that fits me.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:11 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,829 times
Buy ANYTHING, except a General Motors vehicle.The quality/reliability of just about everything they build is subpar!! For dependability, initial build quality, safety and resale value, you need look no further than Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Mazda. In addtion SOME Ford products are decent. The new Hybryd Escape is getting good reviews. If price is not an issue I'd certainly look into Audi, Lexus and Acura. Maybe some Volvos, but check reliability closely. If you do buy an SUV be aware that if you don't like it and want to get rid of it early on, you may take a big hit. An example would be to buy a Chevy Trailblazer. Within 18 months it has lost OVER HALF it's original value.
Vehicles I'd reccomend:

*Toyota Rav 4
*Toyota Highlander
*Toyota 4Runner
*Subaru Outback
*Subaru Forester
*Nissan Pathfinder
*Nissan Murano
*Lexus RX
*Lexus RX Hybrid
*Honda Pilot
*Honda CR-V
*Ford Escape Hybrid
*Ford Edge (reliability unknown however)
*Acura MDX
*Acura RDX
One final thing, beware of any BMW, Mercedes-Benz, or VW product. The reliability factors on various models from these manufacturers range from Excellent to horrendous. Late model Mercedes products have some of the worst reliability ratings out there. Good Luck!!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:17 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
I think you made a pretty strong argument for a Suburban there, aiangel.

I personally can't ever see myself without one. Currently, we have two. One old one that's for hauling trash/gardening/etc and one that's for my job and towing.

We also have a small 4 door sedan that is my wife's primary vehicle.

Sounds like you need ultra versatility.

Doesn't Ford have that Escape that is like the highest rated hybrid out there?

It would be too small for me but it might be worth you looking into.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I think you made a pretty strong argument for a Suburban there, aiangel.

I personally can't ever see myself without one. Currently, we have two. One old one that's for hauling trash/gardening/etc and one that's for my job and towing.

We alos have a small 4 door sedan that is my wife's primary vehicle.

Sounds like you need ultra versatility.

Doesn't Ford have that Escape that is like the highest rated hybrid out there?

It would be too small for me but it might be worth you looking into.

Yes they do, and I like them. I went by teh Ford dealership after visiting the eye doc today deciding to test drive one, and I never made it to them, I got stopped by the Edge. I simply was wowed by this vehicle. I drove it and fell in love, but I also want to ground myself and remember what all I haul.

They do have room in the back, since they are a crossover and drive like a car. But I wonder if in reality they have enough storage room for all I haul. Sigh.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,173 times
[quote=GreggB;875259]Buy ANYTHING, except a General Motors vehicle.The quality/reliability of just about everything they build is subpar!!

Do you have any facts or proof to back this up? My family has always driven GM and never had a problem. If you are going to make a blanket statement i would like to see facts to back that up. GM has several makes and models...........Saturn, Pontiac, GMC, Chevy, Buick, Hummer, Saab, and Cadillac...........you can't tell me all these cars and trucks are crappy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive