Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Yes, for those who naysay this *effort* ... , hell it is an experimental unit and therefore YOUR experiment !
So, go for it and haff phun !

We built our Experimental in 8 week ends.
But ... , over 200 hours of sketches and calculations.
The hardest part was to keep it under 254 lbs !
And this proposal being an LSA, you have a 1320# gross to play with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I was helping build Experimental Airplanes back in the 1980's. I even flew from NH to Oshkosh for the fly-in in a BD-4. It was lots of work and great fun. If my wages had kept up with my costs I might still be involved with airplanes. They did not so I dropped the hobby.

It might be possible to design a $15 k kit plane but it would be very difficult even if you were satisfied with the Experimental restrictions. I see the demise of sport aviation as one of the consequences of great shift in wealth distribution that started in the 70's and shows no sign of fading.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
If you want cheap go Cri-Cri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTKgUfVGJQw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMK5_LvFRDs

They have electric ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-78KPGINFBQ

You can even put small turbines on them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y-AL3YfWzM

A large part of the cost of an aircraft is also certification tests. Anything that goes in a plane must be certified by the FAA. Radios, instruments, etc.

If you could get away from those tests, you could outfit a small aircraft with advanced avionics fairly inexpensively. Look at all the work that folks designing drones have come up with - full fledged auto pilots using GPS and airspeed inputs for next to nothing. A digital airspeed input is around $25! Comes with a pitot tube.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was helping build Experimental Airplanes back in the 1980's. I even flew from NH to Oshkosh for the fly-in in a BD-4. It was lots of work and great fun. If my wages had kept up with my costs I might still be involved with airplanes. They did not so I dropped the hobby.

It might be possible to design a $15 k kit plane but it would be very difficult even if you were satisfied with the Experimental restrictions. I see the demise of sport aviation as one of the consequences of great shift in wealth distribution that started in the 70's and shows no sign of fading.
I'm not so sure it's $$$ causing sport aviation's downward trend, it seems many who grow up on video games are just as happy to 'fly' a simulator at home or 'drive' a race car at home as they would be out in the real world. Those who simply need to fly will find a way. After all, there are a lot of decent airplanes available, either older factory ones like Ercoupes or homebuilts for less $$$ than an average person spends on a new car or even some new motorcycles. Now if we could only have a 120HP $7500 engine that weighs less than 200 pounds.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:10 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The Easy Eagle is already on the market as a kit for less than $15,000 which can carry one person for up to 300 miles. It just remains to be seen what the open source plane will offer. I assume that they are talking about at least a 2 seater and possibly a little faster than 100 mph.

EASY EAGLE SPECIFICATIONS
Span 18'4"
Length 14'4"
Engine 1915cc VW 65HP
Empty Weight 454 LBS
Useful Load 283 LBS
Wing Area 90 SQ. FT.
Seats 1

EASY EAGLE PERFORMANCE
Take Off Distance 450 FT
Stall 45 MPH
Landing Speed 55 MPH
Cruise 95 MPH
Rate Of Climb 700 FPM

The EASY EAGLE is available from:
GREAT PLAINS AIRCRAFT 7011 N 160 Ave Bennington, NE 68007 Phone 402 493 6507
Can it be built with a larger displacement Porsche Engine instead?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm not so sure it's $$$ causing sport aviation's downward trend, it seems many who grow up on video games are just as happy to 'fly' a simulator at home or 'drive' a race car at home as they would be out in the real world. Those who simply need to fly will find a way. After all, there are a lot of decent airplanes available, either older factory ones like Ercoupes or homebuilts for less $$$ than an average person spends on a new car or even some new motorcycles. Now if we could only have a 120HP $7500 engine that weighs less than 200 pounds.
Nope pretty sure $130/hr+ for a 172 these days is the cause of people not being able to afford it.

Back in early 2000's I was renting brand new 172's (R models) for $65/hr wet.

150's were in the $50's/hr. Instruction was around $20-$25/hr. These days $50/hr is the norm.

Wages have stagnated and rental prices skyrocketed due to fuel and insurance costs, among other things.

Sure you might have some podunk place in KS renting for cheap, but most people live in the major cities were prices have gone up significantly. A private 10 years ago could be had regularly for under $4k-$4.5k for roughly 50 hours of aircraft time (dual and solo). These days it's about double that - if not more.

Don't even get me started on the "sport pilot" license, it's a joke and essentially worthless IMO.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Nope pretty sure $130/hr+ for a 172 these days is the cause of people not being able to afford it.

Back in early 2000's I was renting brand new 172's (R models) for $65/hr wet.

150's were in the $50's/hr. Instruction was around $20-$25/hr. These days $50/hr is the norm.

Wages have stagnated and rental prices skyrocketed due to fuel and insurance costs, among other things.
But I see people every day trailering boats that cost at least as much as a decent used airplane and burn more gal/hr and have to either be trailered to water(more gas) or moored at higher costs than a tie-down at the local airport. And I know people who don't shy away from $50-$70 for a round of golf. Flying's never been cheap, but there are people who will spend the price of a Private on a home entertainment system, and not wealthy people, just those with a VISA.

As much as anything else I'd guess recreational flying suffers from a lack of promotion to the non-flying public.

Last edited by burdell; 07-30-2013 at 04:51 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Can it be built with a larger displacement Porsche Engine instead?
Displacement is good but Porsche engines generally make their power at higher RPMs of little benefit in an airplane without the added expense/complexity of a reduction drive.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,021,827 times
Quote:
But I see people every day trailering boats that cost at least as much as a decent used airplane and burn more gal/hr and have to either be trailered to water(more gas) or moored at higher costs than a tie-down at the local airport. And I know people who don't shy away from $50-$70 for a round of golf. Flying's never been cheap, but there are people who will spend the price of a Private on a home entertainment system, and not wealthy people, just those with a VISA.

As much as anything else I'd guess recreational flying suffers from a lack of promotion to the non-flying public.
There's a big perception issue with airplanes, especially older ones. My step father really loves aviation, but freaks out at the idea of "old airplanes" and like someone else on a board recently, his thought is "old airplane = old car" so, he'd expect mechanical break downs, setbacks, and a generally unreliable experience.

When I started college in 01' we had "new" 99' 172R's, when I graduated in 05' I can remember talking to him abut a flight I had recently made. The conversation went like this:

SD: What airplane did you fly?
Me: One of the skyhawks.
SD: One of the old ones?
Me: No, one of our new skyhawks.
SD: You guys got new skyhawks?
Me: Well, the ones we had when I started in 01'.
SD: Ah, so the old ones.
Me: Yeh, but they're "new" in aviation terms.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Well you buy a boat and you can have fun from the get go. No need to drop another $8-$10 grand on a license. Annual inspections that could set you back thousands of dollars. Etc.

Plus I'd be curious what you'd classify as a decent aircraft. Most training aircraft are relatively cheap these days ($20k-$40k) but lack a serious ability to actually get a family from A->B.

To sit 4 comfortably + luggage + gas + go places you're looking at a 6 place retract like a Bonanza or Saratoga,, Mooneys would be good for a two person getaway, they are fast but are cramped. Priced any of those out? Don't forget an instrument rating to actually get to places reliably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation