Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Not really. If you are on a stolen passport why risk going through a Chinese immigration check to get to Europe? Did they have China to Germany tickets?
Malaysia to Germany via China would be like Chicago to Germany via Ecuador.
The Iranians were just transiting in China, so they wouldn't have needed to pass through immigration. They would have simply gone from one gate to another to catch their connecting flight - all within the transit area.

Back to speculations at hand, I find it strange that Malaysian Military is handling this investigation. Don't they have their version of FAA over there? Are they trying to hide something?

It's really sad for Malaysian Airlines since my experience with them had always been positive. Service was good and courteous, food was good, prices were reasonable. They even won an award for best airlines in the world for customer service years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 09:02 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
The Iranians were just transiting in China, so they wouldn't have needed to pass through immigration. They would have simply gone from one gate to another to catch their connecting flight - all within the transit area.

In international transit, when these people land in Beijing Airport, they will have to go thru Security (Personal as well as Carry on Baggage) and visual inspection of Passport and Visa(if required) assuming they already have Boarding Card of their next flight Beijing - Amsterdam. Passport is swiped before printing Boarding pass at Kuala Lumpur Airport and checking in of Luggage. Thats where major Security Failure happened. No Anomaly discovered as Iranian Nationals travelling on Italian and Austrian passport. Names, face features, accent should raise some Red Flags and especially if someone else has bought tickets for them.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
You need a visa to go to Germany if you are Iranian.
He wanted to get to germany to ask for Asylum.

Malaysia Airlines would not have let him on the place if he did not have a visa to go to Germany with an Iranian passport, so he bought a stolen european passport (no visa needed to get back to Europe).

Makes sense now?
I would also like to add that South East Asia, especially Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand, are a major hub for human trafficking ring that smuggle illegal immigrants from Middle East to Europe. It's easy to get in and out of without much scrutiny, then off you go to your next destination. That's most likely why the two Iranians chose to fly out of Malaysia.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I spent four years in Malaysia. Malaysia is a very easy country to go to for Iranians. I knew many who escaped Iran to avoid military service or other issues with the hopes of migrating to Australia or Canada.
Bit off topic one knows but think asylum should be based on first safe soil a person reaches. Not all this shopping around to pick a country they would *like* to settle.

Leaving one's home country with a specific destination is emigration not asylum.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
In international transit, when these people land in Beijing Airport, they will have to go thru Security (Personal as well as Carry on Baggage) and visual inspection of Passport and Visa(if required) assuming they already have Boarding Card of their next flight Beijing - Amsterdam. Passport is swiped before printing Boarding pass at Kuala Lumpur Airport and checking in of Luggage. Thats where major Security Failure happened. No Anomaly discovered as Iranian Nationals travelling on Italian and Austrian passport. Names, face features, accent should raise some Red Flags and especially if someone else has bought tickets for them.
Hmm, I connected flights in Beijing a couple of times and didn't have to go through inspections again. The only places where I had to rescan my luggage and documents during transit were in London / Heathrow airport and US (whichever my first US point of entry was at the time before continuing to my home city).

Old 03-11-2014, 09:10 PM

Now you know this thing has reached the big time; Charlie Rose is doing a segment tonight on this disaster.

Oh and another thing, if one more media/news interviewer or reporter brings up AF 447 am going to scream! *LOL*

Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
Question (considering the cover-up possibility, one among many): Would it be possible (or has it happened in the past) that a country who finds the black boxes of crashed planes hides them from the rest of the world in order to cover up whatever secrets it has?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Hmm, I connected flights in Beijing a couple of times and didn't have to go through inspections again. The only places where I had to rescan my luggage and documents during transit were in London / Heathrow airport and US (whichever my first US point of entry was at the time before continuing to my home city).
I connected thru Beijing Airport twice- once for SFO and once for Delhi Air China connecting flights DEL-PEK-SFO. Both the times my Passport and visa were checked at Beijing Airport and carry on bag went thru security. They did not swipe the passport in any scanner but they visually checked passport, visa photos and Boarding pass and then matched it with my face.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Now you know this thing has reached the big time; Charlie Rose is doing a segment tonight on this disaster.
Except it's not a disaster, yet. Still no crashed plane. No one has an informed idea of where it is. It could be anywhere, from Indonesian waters to international waters off Vietnam, or on some mountainside in the Philippines, for all we know at the moment. One aviation authority said it had enough fuel to reach India. We don't know for a fact that everyone died, or anyone died.

Somebody report, please, on the Charlie Rose show results.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Except it's not a disaster, yet. Still no crashed plane. No one has an informed idea of where it is. It could be anywhere, from Indonesian waters to international waters off Vietnam, or on some mountainside in the Philippines, for all we know at the moment. One aviation authority said it had enough fuel to reach India. We don't know for a fact that everyone died, or anyone died.

Somebody report, please, on the Charlie Rose show results.
Interview was with David Gallo who helped located the wreckage of AF 447.

There are more rumors and theories than clues about the missing Malaysian Airlines plane | Public Radio International

Didn't pay much attention to the interview and hopped around channels so cannot say exactly what was discussed but the above link covers much of what Mr. Gallo responded to Mr. Rose's queries. Find CR's interview style annoying (he asks questions then interrupts the responder before they can even finish answering to finish their sentences), so cannot take more than limited doses! *LOL* Usually your local PBS station will have online transcripts and or viewing of shows.

Basically CR did what every other New York news reporter has done with "experts" they've had on various shows. Ask them to speculate and or give their "professional" opinion as to what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation