Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 08:14 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times

Advertisements

Let us know when you decide to get a pilot's license.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRm_X3BLPU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 09:54 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Though I agree with you on your point, I do think that dying from cancer might be a good thing. One plus side is you can say goodbye to your loved ones and make peace with anyone you need to. Dying in a plain crash is so sudden that you do not have time to say goodbye. I guess this comes from experience and this is why I have that opinion about it.
There would be nothing good about a slow death from cancer, or any other fatal illness. I've seen relatives go in this way and it's horrific. Not only do they suffer & not only is it bad for the family to see them that way, but it also results in extremely expensive hospital bills that can & does (in many cases) financially break a family; even if you have insurance, they won't pay for everything.

I would strongly prefer a quick & relatively painless death where I wouldn't have time to dwell on what was happening - before it was suddenly over.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:25 AM

924 posts, read 1,021,703 times
the way i see it......over 4million people fly a day....EVERY SINGLE DAY...how often you hear of deaths? not much 200 a year?
now I know there are more drivers....but percentage wise, people die from a car accident more often.

but between being murdered or crashing - plane crash it is for me. I actually rarely sleep because I always think someone is trying to break in my house. I have 4 guns in different parts of the house because of my paranoia. bathroom, kitchen, computer room, bedroom. Incase I do hear someone, it is right there.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:27 AM

34 posts, read 27,627 times
Ive always been scared to death of airplanes because they are big, heavy manmade things built by lowest bidders but fly comfortably anyway because I simply realized my fear was trying to control something but in fact I had no control over. These days I sleep like a baby on a plane despite the intense fear.

I thought about it more when long ago I read details of the 1986 crash of Korean Air shot down by Soviets near Alaska. I read that the passengers, all who perished, had 12 minutes of falling before hitting the ground. In that time, they wrote wills and stories and messages to loved ones. They had plenty of time to look death in the face during freefall and had still the presence of mind to do those things while being totally out of control of anything. What an image to carry around. Thats when I became scared to death, that I would have 12 minutes to consider utter hopelessness. I refused to fly for years but then forced it out of acceptance there WAS nothing I could do. These days when flying I think more benignly about those final 12 minutes and how I would enjoy spending them. In some scenarios I laugh, tell jokes to my seatmate, write a will or messages of love and hope, eating stolen peanut bags. This is how I cope and thats it.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:28 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
I think dying in a plane crash would be preferable to any type long painful death.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:37 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,020 times
Waste of time to worry about how you're going to die, instead spend your time living life to the fullest every day.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:37 AM

569 posts, read 552,616 times
[/quote=rishi85;44128295]I don't know what it is but every time I look at a plane it freaks me out. Just the massive machinery and the way the windows are all lined up. The wreckage is scary to look at. With a car or train crash there's still a feeling that something can be done. From a philosophical perspective also..Its just so strange to die so...suddenly without much afterthought. You life just ends. And because there are so many with you it makes it stranger. Like why do I work out, or try to meditate when life is so fleeting.

With any other death I don't feel this way. Heart attack, Cancer, even random murder doesn't seem so distressing. I look at the faces of the victims of MH17 often and a strange feeling comes over me/[/quote]
-----------------------------------------

Normally, a plane doesn't crash in the similarity of the last Russ one. The kind of jumbo jets are designed for the flight stability. They could glide. They have more engines. And they are flying by the capable pilots. And the liquids are 70% of the earth surfaces. The chances of smashing into the hard surfaces are not really high.

Even the smash landing occures, you would probably feel nothing.

Just relax and enjoy the movies and food in the cabinet.

Which part of this picture looks scary to you?

Old 05-23-2016, 03:21 AM

786 posts, read 811,685 times
If dying in a plane accident, which needn't be a crash, is one of the less unpleasant ways of expiring, perhaps it should be established whether that would be admissive of space- (or more exotic) craft; and what sort of plane would accomplish that the less-painfully, more stylishly &c. If I had the choice, and were, say, well past a hundred years of age, I fancy that I'd prefer to perish at the controls of a scramjet that's attempting to break the world speed record, which, by then, would stand at approximately 3600 metres/second

Last edited by OldChina; 05-23-2016 at 03:31 AM..

Old 05-23-2016, 04:45 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
It isn't the death that scares me as much as how long you know you are going to die before it happens.

Look at Alaska Airlines Flight 261; the passengers had to suffer for quite a long time before they hit the water. On the other hand passengers on TWA 800 never knew what hit them most likely.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:42 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It isn't the death that scares me as much as how long you know you are going to die before it happens.

Look at Alaska Airlines Flight 261; the passengers had to suffer for quite a long time before they hit the water. On the other hand passengers on TWA 800 never knew what hit them most likely.
Alaska 261 is the one that really haunts me. I can only imagine the terror experienced by the passengers and crew, a terror that was not quick or fleeting, but was, in fact, protracted. After that first dive, in which the plane went nose down and plunged several thousand feet only to be recovered, the passengers had to be panicking and screaming and trembling with fear. They had no idea if the plane was hit by something, or if the plane was malfunctioning, and they had to be fearful of the plane losing control again, which it did. That first dive had to have been terrifying. Then, several minutes later, the plane plunged nose-down and crashed into the ocean, twisting and inverting on its way down. What terror. Those poor passengers. They endured a very long ordeal.

The Mid-air crash between the DHL cargo plane and the Russian jet over southern Germany was horrific as well. Passengers were flung out of the Russian jet at 35,000 feet or thereabouts; the DHL jet sliced the Russian jet in half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation