Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 05:21 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,447,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have seen the videos though I wouldn't go so far as to say he was brutally assaulted. You haven't seen the video of him starting to scream and flail around before his injury, the second agents touched him?

Let me break it down for you:

1. Talking calmly on the phone, telling someone "they are booting me off because I'm Chinese." (He's not Chinese by the way.)
2. Talking calmly on the phone telling someone, "They are threatening to use force on me."
3. Talking calmly with agents but refusing to cooperate.
4. Chanting "I have to go home, I have to go home," as agents try to calmly reason with him.
5. Refusing to listen to agents as they continue to try to reason with him and tell him he may even go to jail if he doesn't get up and get off the plane voluntarily.
6. Screaming like a stuck pig the second agents touch him.
7. Flailing around and screaming as they try to get him out of the seat.
8. Hits his face on the armrest.

Not to nitpick, but you forgot that he told the security officers he would rather go to jail than get off the flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 05:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
I have seen the videos though I wouldn't go so far as to say he was brutally assaulted. You haven't seen the video of him starting to scream and flail around before his injury, the second agents touched him?

1. Talking calmly on the phone, telling someone "they are booting me off because I'm Chinese." (He's not Chinese by the way.)
2. Talking calmly on the phone telling someone, "They are threatening to use force on me."
4. Chanting "I have to go home, I have to go home," as agents try to calmly reason with him.
5. Refusing to listen to agents as they continue to try to reason with him and tell him he may even go to jail if he doesn't get up and get off the plane voluntarily.

Are you saying this is the order in which it happened though? Because it doesn't appear to be the case. He ran back on after they hauled him off. If you look at the video where he races down the aisle saying, "I have to go home, I have to go home" his face is bleeding. Then he starts repeating, 'just kill me' or whatever he said.

You can clearly see the blood in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1HPwKrMrY

You can also see how tight that aisle is. Like I said before, the odds of NOT being injured somehow when you're struggling in such tight quarters are slim to none.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:37 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
That's really a misrepresentation of the report. A lot of his issues were with a basic foundation regarding both pulmonary medicine which was his specialty and internal medicine which he wanted to pursue.

Being lacking in the basics, is not a matter of your education being outdated.
Pulmonary medicine is a subspecialty of internal medicine. One does an internal medicine residency first, then a pulmonary fellowship.

He had been out of medicine altogether for several years. That is why he needed refresher training.

Quote:
I've already given my sources (multiple eye witnesses) regarding him chanting "I have to go home, I have to go home" prior to his injury, which by the way, he pretty much caused himself because he was TOLD repeatedly by LEA that he would be removed by force if he didn't get off the plane on his own accord.

He starts screaming and squealing and physically resisting (flinging his arms around) the very SECOND he is touched by LEAs. He started screaming before he hit his face on the armrest. Please. Watch the video again. He starts screaming and flailing around before he is hurt.

TO CLARIFY - I don't think "he deserved to get hurt because he has done bad things in his past." PLEASE. Now THAT is conjecture. I have stated repeatedly that I don't think airline officials acted wisely. I have stated that he will probably get a big settlement out of this. Heck, I have even stated that the airline probably SHOULD pay him some sort of settlement.

The reason I bring up his past is something else that I have repeated till I am blue in the face - his past shows a PATTERN of erratic, off the chain, strange behavior.

Speaking of other passengers - not only did NO other passengers volunteer to take his place, he didn't give a rat's patooty about the other passengers and their inconvenience. Just a point worth pondering.
He did not cause his injuries himself.

You do not know that he was not hurt as he was pulled out of his seat before his head hit the armrest.

If he did not care about the inconvenience to others, then not a single passenger on that plane did, either.

Quote:

You keep repeating as fact what are, in some cases, your opinion.

It has been explained to you that he can originally be from Vietnam and be ethnically Chinese. If the man identifies himself as Chinese, he is Chinese.

How is talking calmly "screaming"? You contradict yourself. Repeating that he had to go home is not the same as "chanting". You say there is audio of him "chanting". You are the one who needs to provide a link to that, not the rest of us.

He did indeed refuse to get up. If he had, the rest of the incident would not have happened.

He screamed as the agent was pulling on him. You are assuming that being pulled on was not painful. You have no way of knowing that. The agent who yanked him clear across the aisle was pulling hard, and it took repetitive yanks to get Dao out of his seat. I still suspect his seat belt was fastened and the agent did not initially unbuckle it. My opinion is just as valid as any you have expressed here.

He did not hit his face on the armrest. His face hit the armrest because of the way the security agent manhandled him. You are still trying to make it sound like he did that to himself. He did not. he was indeed brutally assaulted.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:37 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,447,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Are you saying this is the order in which it happened though? Because it doesn't appear to be the case. He ran back on after they hauled him off. If you look at the video where he races down the aisle saying, "I have to go home, I have to go home" his face is bleeding. Then he starts repeating, 'just kill me' or whatever he said.

You can also see how tight that aisle is. Like I said before, the odds of NOT being injured somehow when you're struggling in such tight quarters are slim to none.
All the more reason not to volunteer to be dragged down that aisle. And, lets be clear he did volunteer. He told the security officers to drag him off and stated he would rather go to jail than get up and walk off the flight.

Either instance involves the risk of physical injury to anyone with any common sense.

Anyone, volunteering for that over an airline seat is unhinged imo.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:48 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

From her posts KA is quite removed from reality. She knows what she knows and no amount of fact will change that.

Dao was certainly born Vietnamese. But he may well have been ethnic Chinese. And he certainly claimed to be Chinese. And I would expect he spoke Chinese. Thus he is almost certainly Chinese.

I would think the removal problem was the standard deal of trying to gain control of an individual in a narrow space. First thing you do is get everybody else out of the way. That is any of the immediate adjoining aisles. And then you get overwhelming force. One reason is so you can control the individual without damaging him. And you need to do things like gain control of the seat belt. A person simply cannot be removed if they can keep control of the seat belt. I would think an absolute minimum of four officers and five would be better. They basically went with one.

The result of course is what they should have expected. Dao got broken. And even if they were right, which they were not, they would be in trouble.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Not to nitpick, but you forgot that he told the security officers he would rather go to jail than get off the flight.
Oh that's right.

He went to the hospital instead.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
From her posts KA is quite removed from reality. She knows what she knows and no amount of fact will change that.

Dao was certainly born Vietnamese. But he may well have been ethnic Chinese. And he certainly claimed to be Chinese. And I would expect he spoke Chinese. Thus he is almost certainly Chinese.

I would think the removal problem was the standard deal of trying to gain control of an individual in a narrow space. First thing you do is get everybody else out of the way. That is any of the immediate adjoining aisles. And then you get overwhelming force. One reason is so you can control the individual without damaging him. And you need to do things like gain control of the seat belt. A person simply cannot be removed if they can keep control of the seat belt. I would think an absolute minimum of four officers and five would be better. They basically went with one.

The result of course is what they should have expected. Dao got broken. And even if they were right, which they were not, they would be in trouble.
Wow, that's a lot of reach - are your arms tired yet?

According to Reuters, he's Vietnamese.
http://time.com/4735790/vietnam-unit...nes-david-dao/

I trust their research more than I trust your conjecture.

And apparently you've run out of actual facts too and have resorted to personal insults. Noted.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:06 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguy01 View Post
They weren't wrong, the "doctor" expressly said "Let them use force"

So they did, he gave consent to being forcibly removed.
I don't equate that expression as an invitation by him for them to use force.

I think it sounds more like "Let them (try) to use force and they will be severely punished for it," or more like "Make my day!" or "just try it." In other words, a challenge.

I didn't hear him say it, but if he said it, it was probably said sarcastically.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:07 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
Quote:
Wow, that's a lot of reach - are your arms tired yet?

According to Reuters, he's Vietnamese.
United Airlines: Vietnam Fuming Over Treatment of David Dao | Time.com

I trust their research more than I trust your conjecture.

And apparently you've run out of actual facts too and have resorted to personal insults. Noted.
Guy basically claimed he is Chinese. That is a really good place to start if you don't have an agenda.

Why would one ever dispute it unless evidence appears he is not?

Old 04-15-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I don't equate that expression as an invitation by him for them to use force.

I think it sounds more like "Let them (try) to use force and they will be severely punished for it," or more like "Make my day!" or "just try it." In other words, a challenge.

I didn't hear him say it, but if he said it, it was probably said sarcastically.
Well, he was warned and chose to ignore that warning.

Actions have consequences. Both he and United (and I guess the Chicago Aviation folks) are all finding that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation