Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:13 PM

76 posts, read 121,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
Im not sure why you would expect people to be able to take care of property in the ghetto if folks are poor...Most likely the residents of this "ghetto" are actually renters waiting for their slumlord to make repairs. And trust me these landlords do not live in the city and especially not in the neighborhood where they rent their, often times, run down properties.
It's not just the properties, it's the garbage, the graffiti, and even how they dress. They have bad habits, like littering in the streets and buying over-sized clothes so they look like clowns. No surprise the landlords don't visit often, they probably don't want to get mugged or shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
Yes. It was terrible. If your idea of a good time is hanging out with a bunch of spoiled people, then you must not be very fun. A girl I played soccer with growing up cried because her dad got her the wrong color Audi for her birthday. True story. Also got constantly picked on in school for not caring about designer clothes or makeup. All of that gets really old really fast. Funny how that all goes away now that I live here and people actually judge me based on my character and my accomplishments instead of what clothes I wear and the car that I drive. It's also nice to make my own money and provide for myself - no matter how modestly - and be surrounded by people that actually work for a living instead of relying on their parents like all of the kids I went to high school with still living at home in their 20s.

Being pampered isn't all it's cracked up to be. Wealth is corrupting and incredibly overrated. I'm happier now than I ever was.
Wealth by itself is not necessarily corrupting, it's the parents' faults for spoiling their children. Any parent who buys their kid an expensive car is an idiot. And it certainly is great to be around folks who work for a living, but unfortunately a nice chunk is taken out of our paychecks to support all the lazy bums living off the dole.

Quote:
You get the award for dumbest thing I've read on this forum ever. And that is seriously saying something. I recommend you pick up a book - preferably one about race relations in Baltimore. You may learn something. I recommend "Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City."
I've already read plenty of books on race and have had many experiences with a variety of racial groups.
And of course I stand by my statement that being white is definitely not a privilege. If you think it is, then you'll also have to agree that being Asian is a privilege. Most of our nation's top colleges are filled with Asian students. Asians also commit the least amount of crime when compared to other racial groups. Asian people must have some kind of invisible, magical privilege that allows them to be so intelligent, polite and decent. So what is that privilege?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:54 PM

934 posts, read 1,061,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Nomad View Post
I've already read plenty of books on race and have had many experiences with a variety of racial groups.
I find that hard to believe, given that your posts are full of stereotypes.

Anybody that wears their pants down low must be a thug out to get me.
Many Asians are smart and successful. That must mean they don't experience racism.

You seriously misunderstand "privilege" as it applies to this discussion. You're just talking about outcomes, which are only a very tiny piece of the puzzle. Privilege means that you can tune into any sort of media and feel fairly certain that your race will be represented. It means you can act a certain way and feel confident that it won't be attributed to your race (For example, you cited that Asians are often successful, but how often do you think that the success is attributed to their race rather than the individual's characteristics? - "You aced that math test because you're Asian."). It means you probably won't be asked to speak for all members of your racial group. It means that you feel "normal" in most walks of life.

Asians get stereotyped in different ways that blacks and other minorities do not (as made abundantly obvious by your post). If you think Asians don't experience racism, you are sadly mistaking. Every minority experiences racism, but it's different for each one. Being part of any majority or ruling group confers a unique privilege. White, male, straight, Christian, you name it.

Ironically, it is a common mark of a privileged group to repeatedly deny that they have any privilege.

Last edited by designer_genes; 08-05-2014 at 11:10 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 06:48 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:

Many Asians are smart and successful. That must mean they don't experience racism.

You seriously misunderstand "privilege" as it applies to this discussion. You're just talking about outcomes, which are only a very tiny piece of the puzzle. Privilege means that you can tune into any sort of media and feel fairly certain that your race will be represented. It means you can act a certain way and feel confident that it won't be attributed to your race (For example, you cited that Asians are often successful, but how often do you think that the success is attributed to their race rather than the individual's characteristics? - "You aced that math test because you're Asian."). It means you probably won't be asked to speak for all members of your racial group. It means that you feel "normal" in most walks of life.

Asians get stereotyped in different ways that blacks and other minorities do not (as made abundantly obvious by your post). If you think Asians don't experience racism, you are sadly mistaking. Every minority experiences racism, but it's different for each one. Being part of any majority or ruling group confers a unique privilege. White, male, straight, Christian, you name it.

Ironically, it is a common mark of a privileged group to repeatedly deny that they have any privilege.
Stereotypes are nothing more than people observing similarities among groups. Stereotyping is what our ancestors had to do to survive, the couldn't afford to be politically correct or they'd risk having their throats slits.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:28 AM

934 posts, read 1,061,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Stereotypes are nothing more than people observing similarities among groups. Stereotyping is what our ancestors had to do to survive, the couldn't afford to be politically correct or they'd risk having their throats slits.
We (theoretically) live in a more civilized world now than they did, so we can afford to do away with that, no? Or should we all go out and be hunter gatherers too?

Times change. We should change with them.

As a side note, I hate that silly phrase "politically correct." It's called being a decent human being and not being judgmental of others.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:39 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0

Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 PM

226 posts, read 363,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Nomad View Post
It's not just the properties, it's the garbage, the graffiti, and even how they dress. They have bad habits, like littering in the streets and buying over-sized clothes so they look like clowns. No surprise the landlords don't visit often, they probably don't want to get mugged or shot.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the litter either. I see folks coming to poorer areas all the time to dump debris from house rehabs and whateva else they dont wanna pay to dump. Not to mention there will always be a certain level of trash in any city just ask New York. I do notice that in some areas of the city the neighborhood associations actually pay a company to clean their streets everyday. I know this is true in Charles Village and many of the waterfront neighborhoods, as the price is included in escrow fees. Finally the city has only recently announced to clean residential neighborhood streets once weekly. Lastly the residents have their part to play in keeping their neighborhoods clean as well. Im pretty sure though that these neighborhoods would look a lot better if slumlords took responsibility and the city was already regularly paying attention. There would still be trash but the situation would greatly improve.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,128 times
I've lived in Baltimore City for 2 years now and thankfully on a quiet street. However, moving here from Nashville & prior New Orleans (lived here when it was murder capital of the US) wasn't ready for the Fallujah style helicopters over my house and the rude ass people! When my family visited they said, nobody here seems happy or even has hope! We are originally from the poorest place in America: Eastern KY where People don't even have clean drinking water, but damn they are nicer and have hope, lol. This is a terrible city, much like an east coast Detroit and I can't wait to leave.
Everyone seems to have a bad attitude, the crime is like nothing I've seen, and these bad ass kids in herds are like a plague. Jury's here don't convict, for example how are you on parole & probation, lol? The city only thrives off the sky high taxes that we as residents get nothing for and the overpaid city jobs they create for a family member or friend. I thought the south was politically corrupt, but this place is horrendous!! The military could do Urban Combat Training in this city as most of it looks like a war zone and we already have the Walking Dead zombies on the street.

Defend it however you like, but I've been visiting here for 10 years before moving and this place is like a puss filled bump waiting to pop!!
If you don't have a pension to stay here for, there's no other reason to be here.
The new governor even released statistics that we have the highest rates of wealth, but almost half the population wants to leave. The segregation here is worse than Nashville and most is self imposed. Angry people with no hope except a government check!
Look at 12'o clock boys & The Wire: they glorify all the bad here and people think it's cute. Such a joke of a place that our mayor has a security detail when she goes to Miami like anybody cares who she is out of town, her BFF Caliope gets a 125k job made for her, and we can't even get good streets.
Leave while you can!

Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riro270 View Post
....wasn't ready for the Fallujah style helicopters over my house
Admittedly, I was initially taken aback by what I jokingly called the Baghdad helicopter that was basically at eye level with my fourth floor Mount Vernon apartment one night following a 'take over' youth crowd (or whatever they called themselves). But Baltimore is not unique in employing police helicopters.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:35 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,607 times
Quote:
I've lived in Baltimore City for 2 years now and thankfully on a quiet street. However, moving here from Nashville & prior New Orleans (lived here when it was murder capital of the US) wasn't ready for the Fallujah style helicopters over my house and the rude ass people! When my family visited they said, nobody here seems happy or even has hope! We are originally from the poorest place in America: Eastern KY where People don't even have clean drinking water, but damn they are nicer and have hope, lol. This is a terrible city, much like an east coast Detroit and I can't wait to leave.
Everyone seems to have a bad attitude, the crime is like nothing I've seen, and these bad ass kids in herds are like a plague. Jury's here don't convict, for example how are you on parole & probation, lol? The city only thrives off the sky high taxes that we as residents get nothing for and the overpaid city jobs they create for a family member or friend. I thought the south was politically corrupt, but this place is horrendous!! The military could do Urban Combat Training in this city as most of it looks like a war zone and we already have the Walking Dead zombies on the street.

Defend it however you like, but I've been visiting here for 10 years before moving and this place is like a puss filled bump waiting to pop!!
If you don't have a pension to stay here for, there's no other reason to be here.
The new governor even released statistics that we have the highest rates of wealth, but almost half the population wants to leave. The segregation here is worse than Nashville and most is self imposed. Angry people with no hope except a government check!
Look at 12'o clock boys & The Wire: they glorify all the bad here and people think it's cute. Such a joke of a place that our mayor has a security detail when she goes to Miami like anybody cares who she is out of town, her BFF Caliope gets a 125k job made for her, and we can't even get good streets.
Leave while you can!
Sounds like you aren't happy anywhere you go (you keep moving), so instead of trying to make things happen for yourself where you are, why don't you just move again?

As for police choppers - they are part of the service law enforcement provides and if they weren't around, people would complain about lack of service. Besides, I saw far more police choppers in SoCal than here.

Cherry picking metrics for your strawman, whining doesn't fix anything.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:29 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
Riro, you've made some interesting points! Sorry that your sojourn in Baltimore City has been less than stellar. Everything you've described are experienced expressed by many including the individuals and families who were born and raised in Baltimore City.

Quote:

Leave while you can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore