Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 08:40 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
This forum is so dumb. I can't believe this thread has not been closed.
That is not how this forum works. They could put an ad for the KKK in here and the thread would still stay open. LOL

Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Baltimore has its fair share of "white thugs"..which is exclusive to Bmore.

"exclusive to Bmore"??? Don't kid yourself. I was walking through Rittenhouse Square (the most exclusive section of Center City Philadelphia) one sunny summer afternoon when I was accosted by a white thug. A .357 magnum would have come in handy. If I had written this about a black thug, I would be called a racist.

I was quite surprised because Philadelphia is much better policed than Baltimore will ever be, partly, or mostly because the city officials in Baltimore believe that cracking down on human garbage like this is just another form of "keeping blacks in their place". So because of the Baltimore city officials racist fears, the lunatics run freely in Baltimore.

Thugs come in all colors, shapes and sizes, religions and ethnicities. It is too bad that many people of color in this country can't understand that; they think that the word thug automatically refers to a person of color.

Last edited by james777; 06-27-2014 at 09:21 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist
This forum is so dumb. I can't believe this thread has not been closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
That is not how this forum works. They could put an ad for the KKK in here and the thread would still stay open. LOL

Yes, Tina, as usual you are right on target. The Baltimore forum is just like Baltimore. It is very rare to see police on patrol in Baltimore, and just as rare to see a moderator on the Baltimore forum. Baltimore City and the Baltimore forum are both like the wild, wild west.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:02 AM

416 posts, read 581,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Perhaps the forum seems dumb to you because of your ignorance of Baltimore's history, culture, and local circumstances. You might view this as an opportunity to actually learn something if you keep quiet and pay attention, although I'm not optimistic in that regard.
I didn't say the forum seems dumb. I said it is dumb. Mostly because it is filled with numerous threads that do nothing more than offer trolls an opportunity to tee off on a certain racial group.

I am not ignorant of Baltimore's history, culture, and local circumstances, and even if I were an Internet forum is the last place I would go to "learn something" about those things. Good grief, I feel sorry for you if that's how you get your information.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:35 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Quote:

I am not ignorant of Baltimore's history, culture, and local circumstances, and even if I were an Internet forum is the last place I would go to "learn something" about those things. Good grief, I feel sorry for you if that's how you get your information.
My information on Baltimore does not come from this forum, as you so thoughtlessly suggest. Rather, my information comes from being a Baltimore native, the son of a six-generation Baltimore family. We were the people who built Baltimore.

How about you? Did you go to school in Baltimore? Do you have any ancestors buried there? Ever personally known anyone who worked at Sparrow's Point, Asarco, Armco, Revere, Hopkins, Western Electric, or The Calvert? Ever had dinner at Haussner's or Miller Brothers? Ever ride the number 8 streetcar up York Road or the little Ford number 3 Bus out Loch Raven Blvd? Ever go to a Colts game in Memorial Stadium? Ever seen the Police travel in pairs with a dog around Union Memorial Hospital? Ever go to the Golden Arm? Do you know who Harley Brinsfield was? Did the Berrigan Brothers throw blood on your selective-service records? Ever had a friend shot in the head while waiting for a traffic light to change on Greenmount Avenue? Ever lose a house in Edmondson Village to blockbusting? Ever had a cousin killed by teenage thugs in a home invasion because he didn't leave Edmondson Village? Ever had a new next-door neighbor in Edmondson Village slash her husband's (perhaps -- who knows?) throat with a kitchen knife?

If not, too bad that you didn't grow up in Baltimore . . . if you had, perhaps you would actually know something about the place.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 06-28-2014 at 08:57 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Rather, my information comes from being a Baltimore native, the son of a six-generation Baltimore family. We were the people who built Baltimore.
This doesn't make you an expert on Baltimore's "history, culture, and local circumstances." It does, however, reveal your lack of objectivity. I find it very telling that you don't mention a single book about Baltimore and the subjects discussed on this forum in your little self-aggrandizing sermon.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:33 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Quote:
This doesn't make you an expert on Baltimore's "history, culture, and local circumstances." It does, however, reveal your lack of objectivity. I find it very telling that you don't mention a single book about Baltimore and the subjects discussed on this forum in your little self-aggrandizing sermon.
If you are interested in actually learning something rather than simply demonstrating superiority by responding with smart, smarmy answers to posts you evidently don't even understand, you might read some of the works mentioned frequently here on this forum. The most educational of these is probably The Baltimore Rowhouse, by Hayward and Belfoure. After that, take a look at The City That Bleeds by Kersey. No, you won't like Kersey and you won't like his book, so don't read anything in it that is original to Kersey himself. Instead, read the extensive reports contained therein from the Sun, the Washington Post, and the NYT. Also read Pietila's book Not in My Neighborhood, which is strong on history although a little weak on analysis.

Discount my personal experience all you want -- I certainly don't care. No doubt you know better, or at least think that you do. But you need to go back and read my comment more carefully -- I am not claiming to be an expert on anything. Rather, I am claiming that you are one of the most overconfident, topically ignorant people to post here. In fact, you don't know a thing about Baltimore. Not a thing. To return specifically to my original point -- the forum is not dumb; it simply appears to be dumb to you because of your ignorance of the topic. If you were to keep quiet and follow the posts on this forum, you would indeed begin to gain some insight into how the City actually works, and perhaps more importantly, why it doesn't work very well.

My great uncle was an acknowledged authority on the history of Baltimore, and published a major work in that field. Too bad you couldn't have met him. At some point, you may learn to do history yourself. You might start with some observations of your own. For example, next time you visit Baltimore, toddle down to the area around Fulton and Pennsylvania one Saturday night, and see how you make out. I hope that you don't go home in a body bag -- someone leaves Baltimore for good in such a bag just about once a day.

But really . . .
Quote:
Why not focus on your own city instead of one that you know nothing about except for what you read in the newspaper or see on YouTube?
. . . could you not apply this little nugget of, er, uh, wisdom directly to yourself?

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 06-28-2014 at 02:02 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
If you are interested in actually learning something rather than simply demonstrating superiority by responding with smart, smarmy answers to posts you evidently don't even understand, you might read some of the works mentioned frequently here on this forum. The most educational of these is probably The Baltimore Rowhouse, by Hayward and Belfoure. After that, take a look at The City That Bleeds by Kersey. No, you won't like Kersey and you won't like his book, so don't read anything in it that is original to Kersey himself. Instead, read the extensive reports contained therein from the Sun, the Washington Post, and the NYT. Also read Pietila's book Not in My Neighborhood, which is strong on history although a little weak on analysis.

Discount my personal experience all you want -- I certainly don't care. No doubt you know better, or at least think that you do. But you need to go back and read my comment more carefully -- I am not claiming to be an expert on anything. Rather, I am claiming that you are one of the most overconfident, topically ignorant people to post here. In fact, you don't know a thing about Baltimore. Not a thing. To return specifically to my original point -- the forum is not dumb; it simply appears to be dumb to you because of your ignorance of the topic. If you were to keep quiet and follow the posts on this forum, you would indeed begin to gain some insight into how the City actually works, and perhaps more importantly, why it doesn't work very well.

My great uncle was an acknowledged authority on the history of Baltimore, and published a major work in that field. Too bad you couldn't have met him. At some point, you may learn to do history yourself. You might start with some observations of your own. For example, next time you visit Baltimore, toddle down to the area around Fulton and Pennsylvania one Saturday night, and see how you make out. I hope that you don't go home in a body bag -- someone leaves Baltimore for good in such a bag just about once a day.

But really . . . . . . could you not apply this little nugget of, er, uh, wisdom directly to yourself?
This post is so presumptuous, irrational, and riddled with contradictions that it doesn't even warrant an in depth response. Thank you for proving my original point.

Last edited by Devout Urbanist; 06-28-2014 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
My information on Baltimore does not come from this forum, as you so thoughtlessly suggest. Rather, my information comes from being a Baltimore native, the son of a six-generation Baltimore family. We were the people who built Baltimore.

How about you? Did you go to school in Baltimore? Do you have any ancestors buried there? Ever personally known anyone who worked at Sparrow's Point, Asarco, Armco, Revere, Hopkins, Western Electric, or The Calvert? Ever had dinner at Haussner's or Miller Brothers? Ever ride the number 8 streetcar up York Road or the little Ford number 3 Bus out Loch Raven Blvd? Ever go to a Colts game in Memorial Stadium? Ever seen the Police travel in pairs with a dog around Union Memorial Hospital? Ever go to the Golden Arm? Do you know who Harley Brinsfield was? Did the Berrigan Brothers throw blood on your selective-service records? Ever had a friend shot in the head while waiting for a traffic light to change on Greenmount Avenue? Ever lose a house in Edmondson Village to blockbusting? Ever had a cousin killed by teenage thugs in a home invasion because he didn't leave Edmondson Village? Ever had a new next-door neighbor in Edmondson Village slash her husband's (perhaps -- who knows?) throat with a kitchen knife?

If not, too bad that you didn't grow up in Baltimore . . . if you had, perhaps you would actually know something about the place.

I am interested in knowing, how does one lose a house to blockbusting in Edmondson Village?

Old 06-28-2014, 08:37 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:

But really . . . . . . could you not apply this little nugget of, er, uh, wisdom directly to yourself?
I can't give you any more rep points, so I have to do it the old fashion way. You've got chops. +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore