Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 08:00 PM

934 posts, read 1,062,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Nomad View Post
The thing that probably freaked me out the most was I didn't see very many white people around, except for the inner harbor, fed hill, and Towson areas. That was probably the first time I ever visited a city where I felt outnumbered, it's not a good feeling btw.

If being in the minority makes you feel uncomfortable, maybe you should think about stepping out of your comfort zone a little more. Before I moved to Baltimore, I lived in white upper class towns surrounded by white upper class people. It was terrible. Then, I moved here. I find the diversity refreshing and it has given me a lot of perspective that I certainly did not have before. Maybe you should think about what those different from yourself can teach you instead of grabbing your cell phone a little tighter every time you see a black person.

Congratulations. Welcome to white privilege.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:29 PM

189 posts, read 275,722 times
The old saying holds true: If you have to preface your statements with "I don't mean to sound racist, but..." you should probably just stay silent.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:51 PM

76 posts, read 121,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You say that his mindset filtered out the historic architecture. I don't think he has any idea about historic architecture. There was nothing in his mind to filter out.
I love historic architecture and I did see some beautiful buildings in the harbor, Canton, and Fed Hill areas I visited.

In my previous statement I was referring to the ghetto areas that I drove through. Certainly some of the buildings in those neighborhoods were nice, but the people living there obviously don't take care of them, and that's a real shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post

If being in the minority makes you feel uncomfortable, maybe you should think about stepping out of your comfort zone a little more. Before I moved to Baltimore, I lived in white upper class towns surrounded by white upper class people. It was terrible.
It was terrible? Poor you! Being overly pampered and having an abundance of resources and wealth doesn't sound all that bad to me.

Quote:
Then, I moved here. I find the diversity refreshing and it has given me a lot of perspective that I certainly did not have before. Maybe you should think about what those different from yourself can teach you instead of grabbing your cell phone a little tighter every time you see a black person.
Being white hasn't been a privilege since the 1950's. There wasn't a united caucasian scholarship fund I could apply to when I started college 5 years ago, but there was one for black students, simply because they had dark skin. Some of my professors also graded black students differently, my one African studies professor even explicitly told the class she would grade her black students differently, which is why I dropped the class and filed a complaint with the college administration which never went anywhere. It kind of defeats the whole premise of "equality" when you start grading people differently based on their race but I digress, I'm starting to rant here so I'll stop.

Diversity can be refreshing, especially when it doesn't involve crime.
Also, I don't grip my cell phone tighter if I see a black person walking by.

Thugs have their own style and way of dressing, I can spot them from a mile away. I'm actually glad that thugs have their own unique style because it makes it easier for all of us good people to avoid them. A black guy in a business suit isn't going to mess with me, but the black teen in a hoody and jeans hanging off his ass is a likely candidate. Common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyT View Post
The old saying holds true: If you have to preface your statements with "I don't mean to sound racist, but..." you should probably just stay silent.
I just prefaced it that way so as not to offend all the wimpy, liberal idealists who have a problem honestly discussing race.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
It was terrible? Poor you! Being overly pampered and having an abundance of resources and wealth doesn't sound all that bad to me.
Yes. It was terrible. If your idea of a good time is hanging out with a bunch of spoiled people, then you must not be very fun. A girl I played soccer with growing up cried because her dad got her the wrong color Audi for her birthday. True story. Also got constantly picked on in school for not caring about designer clothes or makeup. All of that gets really old really fast. Funny how that all goes away now that I live here and people actually judge me based on my character and my accomplishments instead of what clothes I wear and the car that I drive. It's also nice to make my own money and provide for myself - no matter how modestly - and be surrounded by people that actually work for a living instead of relying on their parents like all of the kids I went to high school with still living at home in their 20s.

Being pampered isn't all it's cracked up to be. Wealth is corrupting and incredibly overrated. I'm happier now than I ever was.

Quote:
Being white hasn't been a privilege since the 1950's.
You get the award for dumbest thing I've read on this forum ever. And that is seriously saying something. I recommend you pick up a book - preferably one about race relations in Baltimore. You may learn something. I recommend "Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City."

Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
Interesting comments.

Quote:
I love historic architecture and I did see some beautiful buildings in the harbor, Canton, and Fed Hill areas I visited.

In my previous statement I was referring to the ghetto areas that I drove through. Certainly some of the buildings in those neighborhoods were nice, but the people living there obviously don't take care of them, and that's a real shame.

Being white hasn't been a privilege since the 1950's. There wasn't a united caucasian scholarship fund I could apply to when I started college 5 years ago, but there was one for black students, simply because they had dark skin. Some of my professors also graded black students differently, my one African studies professor even explicitly told the class she would grade her black students differently, which is why I dropped the class and filed a complaint with the college administration which never went anywhere. It kind of defeats the whole premise of "equality" when you start grading people differently based on their race but I digress, I'm starting to rant here so I'll stop.

Diversity can be refreshing, especially when it doesn't involve crime.
Also, I don't grip my cell phone tighter if I see a black person walking by.

Thugs have their own style and way of dressing, I can spot them from a mile away. I'm actually glad that thugs have their own unique style because it makes it easier for all of us good people to avoid them. A black guy in a business suit isn't going to mess with me, but the black teen in a hoody and jeans hanging off his ass is a likely candidate. Common sense.

I just prefaced it that way so as not to offend all the wimpy, liberal idealists who have a problem honestly discussing race.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM

Designer Jeans,

Are you familiar with Tim Wise's work?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:08 AM

You think spoiled upper class white children are bad, try spoiled middle and upper class black children. They are just as bad, if not worse!

Quote:
Yes. It was terrible. If your idea of a good time is hanging out with a bunch of spoiled people, then you must not be very fun. A girl I played soccer with growing up cried because her dad got her the wrong color Audi for her birthday. True story. Also got constantly picked on in school for not caring about designer clothes or makeup. All of that gets really old really fast. Funny how that all goes away now that I live here and people actually judge me based on my character and my accomplishments instead of what clothes I wear and the car that I drive. It's also nice to make my own money and provide for myself - no matter how modestly - and be surrounded by people that actually work for a living instead of relying on their parents like all of the kids I went to high school with still living at home in their 20s.

Being pampered isn't all it's cracked up to be. Wealth is corrupting and incredibly overrated. I'm happier now than I ever was.

You get the award for dumbest thing I've read on this forum ever. And that is seriously saying something. I recommend you pick up a book - preferably one about race relations in Baltimore. You may learn something. I recommend "Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City."

Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 AM

You have to be honest, there are some people who just hate Black people and don't want to be around them. It's plain and simple!

Quote:

If being in the minority makes you feel uncomfortable, maybe you should think about stepping out of your comfort zone a little more. Before I moved to Baltimore, I lived in white upper class towns surrounded by white upper class people. It was terrible. Then, I moved here. I find the diversity refreshing and it has given me a lot of perspective that I certainly did not have before. Maybe you should think about what those different from yourself can teach you instead of grabbing your cell phone a little tighter every time you see a black person.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:00 AM

226 posts, read 363,791 times
Quote:

Im not sure why you would expect people to be able to take care of property in the ghetto if folks are poor...Most likely the residents of this "ghetto" are actually renters waiting for their slumlord to make repairs. And trust me these landlords do not live in the city and especially not in the neighborhood where they rent their, often times, run down properties.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Designer Jeans,

Are you familiar with Tim Wise's work?
I am not. I'll look into it.

Quote:
You think spoiled upper class white children are bad, try spoiled middle and upper class black children. They are just as bad, if not worse!
I believe it. I really make no distinctions of race here. Spoiled kids are annoying as hell, no matter what the color of their skin. I just made comments about spoiled white kids because they're the type that I have experience with.

Quote:
You have to be honest, there are some people who just hate Black people and don't want to be around them. It's plain and simple!
Sad but true, I suppose. It really is hard to undo years of steadfast belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore