Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:35 PM

67 posts, read 436,012 times

Advertisements

For folks that are receiving over-the-air stations out of the Bangor area (especially those that live in the fringes), have you had problems getting the digital stations?

I live out past Dover Foxcroft area. I just purchased a large directional antenna with a pre-amp and a rotor. It's mounted on my roof (high posted cape). I am able to pick up MPBN (PBS) and WABI (CBS) and the CW station (which, from my understanding, the transmitters are located on Peaked mountain in Dixmont).

My new antenna system has beautiful analog reception. Perfectly clear on the CBS, NBC, and ABC stations (not so much on the PBS station). I've tried rotating my antenna every 10 degrees and performing a scan for a digital station. Nothing (except the ones I mentioned).

I realize that there are a lot of factors that go into receiving a digital signal, but it seems that I should see something that comes out of Bangor. I'm not quite sure exactly what is meant by 'line of sight', but I suspect that the Charleston Hill might be blocking it. But if that were the case, wouldn't most folks that live on this side of Charleston Hill have the same problem?

Do you know if NBC and ABC stations will increase their power in Feb 2009? Or do I have a very expensive bird perch on my roof?

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 06:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Get Directv

Old 08-08-2008, 07:07 PM

277 posts, read 891,545 times
I live in Belfast and I can't get NBC either. CBS comes in choppy, but MPBN and CW are good. I'm just going to go with Dish or Cable...I think thats what they are trying to push people into anyway.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:13 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Right now we get ABC [ch 7] and PBS [ch 12]; we get ch 2 and ch 5 very faint, not enough to tell what broadcasting company owns either channel.

We have a HUGE TV aerial on our roof, I have done the complete circle with it searching for signals.

When the shift to digital happens, it will all be gone for us. They are dropping their transmitter power to 10% of their current power.

We are just off I-95 exit 199, maybe 15 miles from Bangor as a crow flies. Which according to the TV techs is outside of their digital transmitter range.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:42 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,642 times
Bangor's analog stations aren't even full power. Bangor's stations run at about 50%of the maximum allowable power anyway. It saves them huge amounts of electricity, and of course money. When the digital signals become mandatory, I suspect that the range will increase significantly. I went to the FCC site and all 3 Bangor stations have construction permits (to build new transmitters/towers) to air digital signals with plenty of punch. With the topography around Bangor, I still suspect fringe analog viewers will lose those channels totally.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:13 AM

Thank you all who replied. Wow. Very frustrating to think that there are folks that are just a few miles out of Bangor that can't get reception. I do however hope that we'll see more transmitters come up on line as time goes on.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewoods View Post
Thank you all who replied. Wow. Very frustrating to think that there are folks that are just a few miles out of Bangor that can't get reception. I do however hope that we'll see more transmitters come up on line as time goes on.
I agree.

Consider the following:

1. RF broadcasting networks are reducing their transmitter power. However I have not seen anything about the networks putting in more transmitters.

2. Shifting to a 'digital' format means that all video media will be Internet-capable [ie, data packets].

3. Micro-soft, AT&T, and others have all put out press releases that they are dumping HUGE money into Internet broadcasting of all 'Television' types of media.

4. Transmitting RF carriers costs money, and if these corps all are maintaining huge website presences, then this is the 'new' fad. Not broadcast TV.

When I consider all of these factors; I must conclude that the near future of television viewing will all be from media sent to us via the WWW.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

When I consider all of these factors; I must conclude that the near future of television viewing will all be from media sent to us via the WWW.

Uh oh... if that's the case, I'm really hurtin for certain.... I have satellite internet. I only can receive at about 90 kps (my dialup is 26.4 kps). And on satellite internet, I can only download 200 megabytes a day (their Fair Access Policy). Any more than that... I get shut off for 24 hours. DSL and cable are not available where I live.

I love living in my rural area of Maine, but the lack of these services are beginning to frustrate me. I feel like we are so being left behind.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:08 PM

I get DSL, and as I said two TV channels.

From what I can tell, your not missing anything.

"Antique Roadshow" and maybe "Nova" are about the only thing that we watch from broadcast anymore.

We do Netflix.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:12 AM

862 posts, read 1,051,106 times
As i understand it digital is a go-no-go proposition,once the signal drops below a certain level you simply get nothing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area