Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:12 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times

Advertisements

For me the Ellsworth area would still be reasonable, but I'm not sure that I'd want to do it long term. It actually wouldn't be the winter travel that would bother me either, it would be the summer traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:57 PM

119 posts, read 263,624 times
Well I grew up in that area, in Hermon actually. That would be a town on my list of places to consider in the area. I don't know why you would consider Winterport and possibly all the way to Ellsworth, but not Hermon?

As far as Hampden goes, yes it is a little uppity. If there were an 'upscale community' in the Bangor area it would have to be Hampden. A larger percentage of White-collar types, and some old money on the banks of the Penobscot. Some of them seem to think they a notch above the country boys from Carmel, and Newburgh, or Hermon.
BUT, it only applies to the greater Bangor area.

In reality, it is a very nice middle class Maine community with good schools, and a quaint little village. Comparing Hampden, ME to Snobsville, NJ is completely ridiculous.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 PM

106 posts, read 454,451 times
I lived in Winterport for seven years and would still be living there if it wasnt for losing my job a couple years back. As far as small towns go, its a great place to live. Generally speaking the tax base was lower (at the time) than surrounding towns. They have the BEST post office staff you will EVER meet. I truly miss those people. My neighbors were very nice yet not nosy or gossipy. The town does a good job plowing roads and maintaining them throughout the year. There are some scurvy parts of town to avoid living in but every town has those. My friends had young kids and loved the school system there and she raved about the teachers. When they moved away (job related too), their existing teachers personally spoke to the kids new teachers to where they were moving.

The Hampden snotty-ness issue I always thought was really a myth based on the fact that they have an 'academy' in town instead of just a 'high school'. Dover Foxcroft gets the same rap at times due to their school system...even though that town is far, far away from anything you would consider an elite type of community.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:12 AM

134 posts, read 515,071 times
Born and raised in Maine and lived in Freeport (long before LL Bean was what it is today), Corinna and finally Houlton. Can remember even in my teen years where I thought Bangor was the big city and Portland was beyond scary due to its size. Now after being moved away the last 25 years I often chuckle when I think back to what my perception was and what it is today with other experiences. My family and I are moving back this summer as our house is almost done being built. We spent months trying to figure out where in Maine and finally decided on the central Bangor area and then narrowed it down to Hampden ... and the primary reason for that was for the school system. That being said all the school systems in that area are fine ones (my mother is a retired teacher and sister still teaches in Hermon). Any of the areas you mentioned would make fine towns/cities to live in as they like any community have their good and not so good areas but everything has to be looked at with how ones perspective is...... you coming from NJ I would dare say that you would not feel that any community is "uppity" .... they all have good schools .... good sports programs so I would recommend to not be worried about that and maybe look at mil rate (property tax), services available in the town (library, etc) transportation and commute.
Congrats on your new job and move. I have little doubt you will find your "home" and be very happy in your decsion. We will be there in 118 days (but whose counting LOL)

Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,109 times
I have relatives living in Bangor, Brewer and Hampden with children attending the local schools. All of them are happy with their respective high schools. Don't be put off by the Hampden *Academy* name; it's just a local high school but it isn't supervised by a locally elected school board. Maine has about a dozen academies that serve a similar function. Given your son's interest in sports and developmental issues, Bangor High School would be my first suggestion, but really any of them would be fine.

Hampden does have the reputation as an upscale community, but others here have already noted that "upscale" means something far different in Maine than it does in New Jersey.

As for any issues of race or "difference," I doubt sincerely that would be a problem among your son's classmates beyond the occasional thoughtless comment. Deliberate racism is in my experience rare among that generation in Maine.

BTW all the towns you mentioned are on the Penobscot River -- excellent kayaking possibilities there.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 PM

467 posts, read 1,125,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
For me the Ellsworth area would still be reasonable, but I'm not sure that I'd want to do it long term. It actually wouldn't be the winter travel that would bother me either, it would be the summer traffic
You certainly nailed that one!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:40 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbound700 View Post
How far south of Brewer can you go towards the water and keep a reasonable commute?
Brewer is on the water if you count the Penobscot River. The river is still tidal up there. If you mean open water like Penobscot Bay, I'd recommend Bucksport or Verona Island rather than Ellsworth. Houses are very reasonably priced, Brewer is a half hour away over roads that do not have a lot of summer traffic, and Bucksport has a great bookstore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area