Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2021, 01:50 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Astros fans do have reason for optimism. You saw my prediction on this forum and on my blog page. I wasn't exaggerating, either.

When we get to the trade deadline this year, I believe there will be some fascinating acquisitions by a number of teams (except by those who stand pat), and it remains to be seen whether the Astros will generate another great storyline similar to when they acquired Justin Verlander back in '17.

I almost expect a blockbuster acquisition. The salary for a player in a mid-year trade is often subsidized by the origin team and with JV's $35 million expiring end of year, Houston should be able to resign such an acquired star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 11:05 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Astros lay the hammer down on the A's again.

"Astros 9 @ A’s 2.

Kyle Tucker had a 1 out homer in the top off, Mark Canha went to 3rd on a wild pitch, Matt Olson followed with a fly out to shallow center, but Jed Lowrie picked up the runner from 3rd with an RBI double to tie the score at 1. Mitch Moreland walked, and Matt Chapman followed with an infield single to load the bases, but Stephen Piscotty struck out, and Ka’ai Tom grounded out to keep it at 1-1 after 1. Myles Straw walked with 2 outs, and Jason Castro followed with a home run to put the Astros in front 3-1. Jose Altuve doubled to lead off the 3rd, Tucker and Alex Bregman would follow with back to back strikeouts, Yordan Alvarez walked, and Yuli Gurriel had a 2 run double for a 5-1 Astros lead before Carlos Correa ended the inning with a strikeout. Canha had a 1 out triple in the 5th and scored on a Olson ground out. Gurriel and Correa started the 6th with singles, with Gurriel coming around to score on a Jason Castro fielders choice, and Chas McCormick homered to put the game away and a 9-2 Astros lead. Jose Urquidy allowed 2 runs on 4 hits with 2 walks and 5 strikeouts in 4.1 and Brandon Bielak had 4 strikeouts in 4.2 hitless innings. Sean Manaea (0-1) allowed 5 runs on 6 hits (2 home runs) with 3 walks and 4 strikeouts in 4.2. In other west action; the Mariners had a rare Sunday day off, the Rangers picked up their first win of the season 7-3 in KC and the Angels beat the White sox 7-4 on a Jared Walsh walk off 3 run homer. Astros are first at 4-0, Angels are 2nd at 3-1 a game back, Mariners are 2-1 a game and a half back, Rangers are 1-2 2 and a half games back, and the A’s are 4 back at 0-4."

Old 04-11-2021, 01:14 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
The Astros finished a disappointing three-game home series against Oakland. After winning the first game decisively, they laid an egg in each of the last two games. Offense needs to get going again and do it early. At this writing, Houston is tied for first in the West with the Angels.

After an extremely-rare Sunday off-day (Don't ask me why.... ), the Astros continue at home against the Detroit Tigers. This is a must-win series coming up. They must take advantage of these lesser teams.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:36 PM

After a prolonged slump for the last two weeks, the Astros are trying to regain some footing in the AL West. They've had five players quarantine for COVID-related precautions, but four of them will be coming back tomorrow when the team goes to Denver. Jose Altuve will not make this upcoming series.

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/breg...tuve-still-out

Old 05-13-2021, 07:25 PM

Astros and Rangers in Houston is in progress this weekend. It's the Silver Boot battle.

Right now, back and forth between the teams in the fourth inning of the first game. At present, it's a 3-3 tie.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:41 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,557,800 times
Looks like the Astros need some relief help. They've got all the other things for contention, but they've just been missing one key element. Saw this a little bit ago.

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2021/6...trade-deadline

What do you think?

Old 06-20-2021, 08:51 PM

The Astros are red hot now! They just completed a four-game sweep of the Chicago White Sox to finish a perfect 6-0 for the homestand. And they beat their old teammate Dallas Keuchel in Sunday's finale. And Abraham Toro has exceeded expectations filling in for Bregman. Now it's off to Baltimore. Let's stay hot.

Also, they're ahead of Oakland now by percentage points in the AL West. Great things are happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Looks like the Astros need some relief help. They've got all the other things for contention, but they've just been missing one key element. Saw this a little bit ago.

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2021/6...trade-deadline

What do you think?
A lot can still happen now that Cristian Javier will take some turns after being the odd man out in the rotation. Ralph Garza has been decent lately, and Ryan Pressly has his moments, but I'm not completely sold on him as the closer. He'd previously been a good set-up guy. If the Astros needed anything, then it could still happen by the trade deadline because there are a few good closers out there who could come here at a low cost and still help.

Old 06-21-2021, 02:55 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
The Astros are red hot now! They just completed a four-game sweep of the Chicago White Sox to finish a perfect 6-0 for the homestand. And they beat their old teammate Dallas Keuchel in Sunday's finale. And Abraham Toro has exceeded expectations filling in for Bregman. Now it's off to Baltimore. Let's stay hot.

Also, they're ahead of Oakland now by percentage points in the AL West. Great things are happening.

A lot can still happen now that Cristian Javier will take some turns after being the odd man out in the rotation. Ralph Garza has been decent lately, and Ryan Pressly has his moments, but I'm not completely sold on him as the closer. He'd previously been a good set-up guy. If the Astros needed anything, then it could still happen by the trade deadline because there are a few good closers out there who could come here at a low cost and still help.
And the best percentage in the American League.

I’m loving this season so far.

The three teams I root for (the Giants since the 1962 World Series, the A’s since 1968, and the Astros since the late 2000s) are three of the four teams playing over .600 ball.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:21 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
My wife and I went to our first Astros game yesterday at Minute Maid park and sat in the cheap seats (section 423.) The plan was to sit in the cheap seats and check out the park layout in person to determine which, if any, seats were worth paying more for at future games. I've never been to a pro sports game before but my wife has and she and I were both puzzled at the format.

The giant video screen did not show any of the plays, so we were forced to look down at the ant sized players and umpires the entire game, and the angles weren't accurate at all. There were almost no replays. The announcer did little commentary, not even when players scored runs, and any comments he made were practically unintelligible. We kept having to switch our focus from the ant players to the scoreboard on the side to determine strikes vs. balls.

We can't afford tickets near the dugout but we can afford them in lower sections, but unless we can actually see and comprehend what's going on, we might as well stay home and watch games on the MLB app, where it's easier to see and hear. For those who know, is this the typical game experience at Minute Maid or was it just an off night?

Old 06-29-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My wife and I went to our first Astros game yesterday at Minute Maid park and sat in the cheap seats (section 423.) The plan was to sit in the cheap seats and check out the park layout in person to determine which, if any, seats were worth paying more for at future games. I've never been to a pro sports game before but my wife has and she and I were both puzzled at the format.

The giant video screen did not show any of the plays, so we were forced to look down at the ant sized players and umpires the entire game, and the angles weren't accurate at all. There were almost no replays. The announcer did little commentary, not even when players scored runs, and any comments he made were practically unintelligible. We kept having to switch our focus from the ant players to the scoreboard on the side to determine strikes vs. balls.

We can't afford tickets near the dugout but we can afford them in lower sections, but unless we can actually see and comprehend what's going on, we might as well stay home and watch games on the MLB app, where it's easier to see and hear. For those who know, is this the typical game experience at Minute Maid or was it just an off night?

Yes, I'd say it was an off-night, Scooby, but this is the story of a number of parks right now just getting back into the swing of things after COVID. I've been to Minute Maid many times before and, while the upper deck is pretty high, you still get to see the entire field. And if it was the Astros radio guys you tried to listen to last night, then you need to know that one of the regulars (Steve Sparks) was taking three games off, replaced for a series by one of the minor league network guys. What we're all having to deal with is not getting printout tickets and having to resort to mobile tickets, which I've never even done before. I prefer to sit in the upper deck, but you can get great sightlines sitting in the lower sections, provided you can afford them. I'm planning to go to Houston in August but will probably need to catch a Ranger game at Globe Life Field just to get a feel of mobile tickets (since I don't live too far from Arlington).

And the 'Stros had no business losing to freakin' Baltimore, for goodness sake. Time to get the train back on the tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball