Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2021, 11:20 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Dodgers are my team - but they are banged up. Braves would make a better series.

Astros are my second team since I have lived in the area forever. I do miss Springer. I enjoyed watching him swing the bat.

We will see if the young pitchers can hold up for another game or two.
Good to see you, stranger! It's going to be a matter of which Valdez or which Garcia will show up, but they appear to have made the necessary adjustments in that last series, so we shall see if they can continue that course. Bregman and Altuve need to produce more, and they didn't do too much (offensively) in the ALCS, but Altuve will be remembered for that diving catch in Game 6 in the first inning. It'd be nice if we got a big outing from Urquidy. And wouldn't it be something if Zack Greinke (who reportedly had a great 50-pitch throwing batting practice session yesterday) offered a big surprise? You never know.

Have to get clutch hits when they matter. Atlanta is better than a lot of people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 05:50 PM

25,735 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Dear Astros fans,

My Braves Bullpen has over-achieved in the playoffs by Grand Canyon proportions.

The Dr. Jekyll Braves starters should be able to keep it close for 5-6 innings, but then Mr. Hyde will appear.

No matter what the score might be, do not tune out the end of the game.

Unless the Braves bats catch fire, the victory parade will be in Houston.

That doesn't mean I'm giving up on my team, I'm just being real. We're missing too many pieces.

Go Braves!

Old 11-07-2021, 07:22 PM

The Astros must now move on from a disastrous World Series display and focus on what players will be with the team in '22. They've got Dusty Baker signed up to manage for one more year while Joe Espada continues in waiting. I'd love to see Espada as Houston's next manager, and he'll be a great fit if it gets worked out.

We'll see if Correa accepts the offer extended to him. If he passes, then I'd look for Trevor Story to get some chats going with the brass.

I would like for Houston to get at least one veteran starting pitcher, preferably one with postseason experience, to go alongside McCullers, Urquidy, Garcia, and Valdez. The latter three have certainly gotten some important playoff experience (and a few lessons, as well), but of those, only Urquidy is capable of being the big-gamer. It never hurts to have too much starting pitching, but they also need a consistent long reliever who could also spot-start. You'd think Odorizzi would have fit that mold already, but I'm just not completely sold on him.

Old 11-09-2021, 05:17 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
The Astros must now move on from a disastrous World Series display and focus on what players will be with the team in '22. They've got Dusty Baker signed up to manage for one more year while Joe Espada continues in waiting. I'd love to see Espada as Houston's next manager, and he'll be a great fit if it gets worked out.

We'll see if Correa accepts the offer extended to him. If he passes, then I'd look for Trevor Story to get some chats going with the brass.

I would like for Houston to get at least one veteran starting pitcher, preferably one with postseason experience, to go alongside McCullers, Urquidy, Garcia, and Valdez. The latter three have certainly gotten some important playoff experience (and a few lessons, as well), but of those, only Urquidy is capable of being the big-gamer. It never hurts to have too much starting pitching, but they also need a consistent long reliever who could also spot-start. You'd think Odorizzi would have fit that mold already, but I'm just not completely sold on him.

You might be interested in some lists I came across that I posted in one post on the Giants main thread (post #592)...

* A list of 17 'bold' free agent predictions from mlb.com

* A NY Post writer's Top 40 free agents with where he think's they'll go and for how long and how much

(both have Correa going to the Tigers, and Story coming to the Astros)

Old 11-09-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
You might be interested in some lists I came across that I posted in one post on the Giants main thread (post #592)...

* A list of 17 'bold' free agent predictions from mlb.com

* A NY Post writer's Top 40 free agents with where he think's they'll go and for how long and how much

(both have Correa going to the Tigers, and Story coming to the Astros)

Story is a Texas guy, but his play hasn't exactly been looked upon favorably by writers, pundits, and radio hosts. His defense is good, but not great. Now, he could light up Minute Maid Park like a pinball machine because he does have offensive capability. Coming from the Rockies to wherever he goes, people are always going to be making that Mile High comparison.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:57 PM

Default BREAKING: Justin Verlander To Re-Sign With Houston

Folks, Justin Verlander wants to win again. He's looking to revive his career and get out there and win. The Astros were that close to getting the championship in the season just completed, but a healthy Verlander was what they needed. Never mind that he's 39; Justin lives in Florida and would prefer doing Spring Training in Florida (which the Astros do). I think he also realizes that a shorter deal with him coming off of TJ is the smart thing to do now. The team that he's been with is very close and can win it all in '22. This, really, is his best chance if he wants it.

Here's the link with that story: https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/just...er-astros-deal

Good for Houston. Yeah, he's got to make up with the fans, but that will come in time. Right now, it's a one-year deal with an option for '23 (and I'll be willing to bet that he'll eventually take it). But this really becomes a big boost with the starting rotation containing as many question marks as it has potential.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:03 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
If he stays healthy and pitches even close to his lifetime average (unrealistic to expect 2018 level) it will be a bargain. My concern is "if he stays healthy". And for that, I don't like that the option is a player option for 2023. Does this mean he could pitch one game next spring, get re-injured, and collect another $50 million sitting on his sofa? It should be a team option and the contract should have some health conditions.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If he stays healthy and pitches even close to his lifetime average (unrealistic to expect 2018 level) it will be a bargain. My concern is "if he stays healthy". And for that, I don't like that the option is a player option for 2023. Does this mean he could pitch one game next spring, get re-injured, and collect another $50 million sitting on his sofa? It should be a team option and the contract should have some health conditions.
Well, that's key right now, oceangaia. JV has to stay healthy, but he also must be accountable. He threw recently and was hitting speeds of at least 90. He's a competitor. The team will take care of the conditions. Plus, despite what we all heard this last season, he's in the right place if he wants to win.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:31 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Well, that's key right now, oceangaia. JV has to stay healthy, but he also must be accountable. He threw recently and was hitting speeds of at least 90. He's a competitor. The team will take care of the conditions. Plus, despite what we all heard this last season, he's in the right place if he wants to win.

I'd be surprised if the Tigers and maybe the Angels or Yankees wouldn't have given him $25m, plus he signs the day the QO expires without shopping the market so it does seem like this is really the only place he wants to be. And the team might have an insurance policy on the contract. The off season is off to a good start. Maybe we will get a CC Surprise!

Old 11-17-2021, 10:14 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Folks, Justin Verlander wants to win again. He's looking to revive his career and get out there and win. The Astros were that close to getting the championship in the season just completed, but a healthy Verlander was what they needed. Never mind that he's 39; Justin lives in Florida and would prefer doing Spring Training in Florida (which the Astros do). I think he also realizes that a shorter deal with him coming off of TJ is the smart thing to do now. The team that he's been with is very close and can win it all in '22. This, really, is his best chance if he wants it.

Here's the link with that story: https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/just...er-astros-deal

Good for Houston. Yeah, he's got to make up with the fans, but that will come in time. Right now, it's a one-year deal with an option for '23 (and I'll be willing to bet that he'll eventually take it). But this really becomes a big boost with the starting rotation containing as many question marks as it has potential.

I just heard this on the local news sports segment (TV) here in Houston, so I thought I'd look to see if anyone had posted about this.

He doesn't need to make up with this fan. He hadn't lost me.

IMO, in the past, the positive effect that he has on a team goes beyond just when he's on the mound, and I hope that continues.

I agree with you re the option.

He and Kate finally bought a place in South Florida.

He had a place in Lakeland (west of Orlando, east of Tampa) from his days with the Tigers that he sold in 2019. Their 'main' residence until recently (purchased in 2016) has been their house in Beverly Hills, CA they bought from Jon Peters who purchased it from former #1 ranked tennis pro Pete Sampras.

They've been renting in Houston during the season and renting in West Palm Beach during spring training, but now just bought a place on Jupiter Island (Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan also live there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball