Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2021, 03:50 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The giant video screen did not show any of the plays, so we were forced to look down at the ant sized players and umpires the entire game
Minute Maid Park - Houston by James Fremont - Four Star Images, on Flickr

That's Jose Altuve on deck, and he takes offense to your "ant-sized" comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 10:41 PM

64 posts, read 47,328 times
I wish the Orioles only played the Astros they would go 162-0

Old 07-02-2021, 06:34 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My wife and I went to our first Astros game yesterday at Minute Maid park and sat in the cheap seats (section 423.) The plan was to sit in the cheap seats and check out the park layout in person to determine which, if any, seats were worth paying more for at future games. I've never been to a pro sports game before but my wife has and she and I were both puzzled at the format.

The giant video screen did not show any of the plays, so we were forced to look down at the ant sized players and umpires the entire game, and the angles weren't accurate at all. There were almost no replays. The announcer did little commentary, not even when players scored runs, and any comments he made were practically unintelligible. We kept having to switch our focus from the ant players to the scoreboard on the side to determine strikes vs. balls.

We can't afford tickets near the dugout but we can afford them in lower sections, but unless we can actually see and comprehend what's going on, we might as well stay home and watch games on the MLB app, where it's easier to see and hear. For those who know, is this the typical game experience at Minute Maid or was it just an off night?
You can walk around the stadium and stop at places that have better vantage points.

Since surge pricing came onto the scene, if you want to save, pick a game when the Astros are playing a weak team.

I can't remember is surge pricing was a thing yet, but in 2010 (?) I paid $50 at the Yankees box office for a ticket to stand...no seat...(at the 'new' Yankee Stadium) in NYC for a game with their arch rival Boston Red Sox and $35 to park in the garage.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:31 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Astros just swept Cleveland in their place and are coming home for some home cooking. Time to get things together from a home perspective and win against Oakland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrEeKlIfE08 View Post
I wish the Orioles only played the Astros; they would go 162-0
That didn't happen at Camden Yards, where the Astros went 3-0 against the O's. Nice try.

By the way, congrats to the 'Stro players who officially landed on the ASG roster: Altuve, Brantley, Correa, and Pressly. All the best!

Old 07-09-2021, 12:25 PM

Here's a name to look out for: Craig Kimbrel.

He may be past his prime, but he's being talked about as a possible acquisition by two teams; the Astros and the A's. Watch this one. Since Houston is in need of some bullpen help, he'd give them a proven stopper.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:32 PM

Wow*. 7/10/2021

I followed the whole game on the ESPN.com play by play as it was posted.

Only one run, a homer Grienke gave up to Judge.

Grienke taken out after 4.....65 pitches....a HR, 1 double, and 1 single.

Then 3 more pitchers....46 pitches in 3 innings w/ 1 hit, 14 pitched in 1 inning with 1 hit, then 17 pitches for Pressley in the 9th w/1 hit....144 pitches total

The Yankees.......Cole*......Complete game shutout 1-0, 2 walks, 3 hits, 12 strikeouts, 129 pitches.....and the 129th pitch....at 99 mph....completed the 12th strikeout.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:48 PM

Wow.

7/11/2021

The Astros go into the bottom of the ninth trailing the Yankees 7 to 2.

They scored 6 runs in the bottom of the ninth to win 8 to7......capped off by a walk off 3 run homer by Altuve to win it....his 20th of the year....what a way to end before the All-Star break .

I was driving south on Kirby Dr (just north of Westheimer) listening to the radio, and when Altuve’s shot made it over I was shaking my fist in the air in my car and rocking back and forth in my seat. Other motorists probably thought I was nuts.

After the game, Altuve found out that his father is in the hospital .

Prayers for Jose’s father .

Old 07-11-2021, 09:56 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
I'm wondering if Chapman is hurt, or if Boone and the Yankees have lost complete and all confidence in their "all star" pitcher??

Cole pitched a great game yesterday, don't get my wrong, but with a 1-0 lead, as soon as the leadoff runner gets on base, if I believe in Chapman, I bring him out. Tell Cole you did a hell of a job, Chappy will take it from here, instead they leave their pitcher who they still have on the books for 8 years and almost $300 million to throw 129 pitches. And sure, they've got a couple days off here, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad but considering where the Yankees are (tied for 3rd, 8 games back) AND 13 of their first 15 games out of the All Star Break are against the Red Sox and Rays the 2 teams they are chasing in the division, they are going to need Cole to pitch in as many of those 15 games as he can, so to me at least that didn't seem so smart. And it looks like today the Astros comeback came relatively quickly, but was still surprised to see Chad Green out there at the end. I know you wouldn't want Chapman for Altuve, but if he reached base and Brantley comes up?? Was he even warming up at that point??

Old 07-12-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Wow.

7/11/2021

The Astros go into the bottom of the ninth trailing the Yankees 7 to 2.

They scored 6 runs in the bottom of the ninth to win 8 to7......capped off by a walk off 3 run homer by Altuve to win it....his 20th of the year....what a way to end before the All-Star break .

I was driving south on Kirby Dr (just north of Westheimer) listening to the radio, and when Altuve’s shot made it over I was shaking my fist in the air in my car and rocking back and forth in my seat. Other motorists probably thought I was nuts.
Glad you remember where you were when Altuve got the last laugh. This will be remembered for a lot of years to come, and this only adds to the legend. Aaron Judge took an obvious jab at Jose the other day when he grabbed his own jersey on a home run trot, so Altuve's teammates gave the ultimate in a pushback on Sunday when they ripped off his jersey after the walk-off home run. You can hear both the radio's and Todd Kalas' calls on separate videos on the Astros' website, one for the individual play highlights, and the other for the game recap. Indeed, a great way to go out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

After the game, Altuve found out that his father is in the hospital .

Prayers for Jose’s father .
Same from here.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Altuve working to win back that 90+ rating in The Show 22
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball