Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
I don't follow much of baseball but I couldn't miss all the news about the Ochiro trade. I was watching local news last night and Ochiro was speaking. It appeared that he had an interpreter. I've never moved to a foreign country and had to learn the language, so I have no experience with this, but I wonder why he needs an interpreter after ten years.

Thanks.
Ichiro speaking English. Pardon his French.

Ichiro's Favorite American Expression - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
Ichiro has an obp of .288-------his stats the past couple of years have been heading downward, and getting toward the end, maybe a challenge like producing for a playoff bound team like the Yankees will add an incentive for him to get him going on the right track.

The Yankees have been trying to replace Gardner all year, and Ichiro can steal a base, play a solid outfield, and is still capable of getting untracked offensively.

This is a sensible move for the Yankees-----as for the Mariners it also makes sense-----Ichiro has reached a plateau there, and getting something at this point for him makes sense.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think they were smart to trade him, but the return blows. Another steal for the Yankees.
If this was any other 38 year old no power outfielder with a .288 OBA, the return on the trade would probably seem about right. Ichiro! didn't command better players in the swap because he isn't worth all that much at this stage of his career.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:34 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,656,908 times
As an Oakland A's fan I can feel for you Mariner Fans, we too get tired of just being a Major League farm team for the Yankees and other top $$$ teams

Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
I don't follow much of baseball but I couldn't miss all the news about the Ochiro trade. I was watching local news last night and Ochiro was speaking. It appeared that he had an interpreter. I've never moved to a foreign country and had to learn the language, so I have no experience with this, but I wonder why he needs an interpreter after ten years.

Thanks.
I wonder about people who live in their own country yet misspell basic names which are repeated in text throughout the discussion in which they are supposedly participating.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
As an Oakland A's fan I can feel for you Mariner Fans, we too get tired of just being a Major League farm team for the Yankees and other top $$$ teams
If Brett Gardner were not injured, the Yankees would have no interest in Ichiro. And don't expect them or anyone else to offer him a big contract next offseason. His numbers indicate that he is nearing the end of a brilliant career. But let's hope he can have one last hurrah in the postseason.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:04 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Today, this Mariners fan scowls in disgust. Ichiro has gone to New York.
http://fanshots.com/video/girl-freak...-in-the-stands

any one else notice that he seemed to stroke her thigh?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Like Grandstander said, Ichiro leaving the Mariners is NOT like Griffey, Alex Rodriguez, Tino Martinez and Randy Johnson. Ichiro is in the twilight of his career.

However, I think Ichiro does add something to the Yankees roster. Ibanez and Jones have no business playing LF. The team was designed to utilize those two as a platoon DH with occasional field time. Those two have been splitting time in LF all season, except for days when DeWayne Wise was out there.

It was a great pickup for the Yankees. Ichiro is no Brett Gardner. Then again, there is NO 2012 Brett Gardner. Gardner was possibly the #1 rated defensive OF the past few years. Ichiro is the #2 OF (defensively speaking) in 2012. He also has speed. That nearly covers 2 of the 3 things Gardner was great at. Ichiro's OBP is poor, but as Meatloaf used to say "Two out of three ain't bad."

Out of all the other known corner OF on the trading block, Ichiro was the best fit for the Yankees, all things considered. Other potential trade targets had teams that were asking for the moon in order to get the player's services for ~3 months.

As for the Mariners, it was a salary dump for the rest of the season and a nice gesture to Ichiro. The guy wants a chance at a WS before he retires. His contract is done at the end of this season and he won't get anything like that for 2013 and onwards. I won't go on to say that the Yankees would pick up Ichiro to take over RF with Swisher walks next season... the Yankees aren't known to carry two light hitting corner OFs... but anything is possible.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 PM

689 posts, read 2,058,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I wonder about people who live in their own country yet misspell basic names which are repeated in text throughout the discussion in which they are supposedly participating.
Well, um, I said I don't follow the sport...guess you're not buying that excuse are you? And me, the picky proofreader, grammarian, spellchecker, journalism grad. It's a Gotcha to me!!!.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
At the end of the day, the Mariners are still my team. I'm just upset because they've never been to a World Series, and I figured Ichiro being traded to New York was more indicative to a common pattern of good players going to bigger market teams, and I figured this is why the M's have never been to a World Series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball