Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:36 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times

Advertisements

Your thoughts on this article/editorial piece?

MLB Playoffs 2012: The Washington Nationals Needed Stephen Strasburg | Bleacher Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 05:41 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Few major points the writer of the article glossed over:

• Of course Strasburg would have helped, but the real issue was the offense. Prior to Game 5, the team had scored a combined 9 runs in 4 games. When you are leaving double digit runners on base each game and not coming through in the clutch, it doesn't matter who is pitching, you won't win.
  • Stephen Strasburg last two starts were awful. Some would say that the shut down was a distraction, but I would point to the fact that perhaps he was just tired. He has never pitched this many innings in his life and on a surgically repaired arm, is it realistic for him to pitch at the same level as he did prior to the season starting?
  • Ross Detwiler, who replaced Strasburg, pitched 6 innings and gave up 1 run, which was unearned. How can you do much better than that?
  • Even though Zimmermann and Jackson struggled, Strasburg pitching had no effect because those two pitchers would have pitched in the series as starters regardless.
  • The point of Orel Hershiser is apples and oranges because had already pitched through several seasons prior to have that surgery.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Baseball fandom is making progress in DC. They have morphed from stay at home indifference to caring enough to make death threats.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
When the Nationals announced that they were shutting Strasburg down for the remainder of the season, it didn't occur to me that they meant any possible appearances in the playoffs as well.

However tired he might have been after pitching as many innings as he did in 2012, deliberately keeping him out of the playoffs is a decision that will haunt the Nationals for a long, long time.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
oh look another Strasburg shut down blamer, oh wow, there aren't too many of those around, blah blah blah blah

Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
When the Nationals announced that they were shutting Strasburg down for the remainder of the season, it didn't occur to me that they meant any possible appearances in the playoffs as well.

However tired he might have been after pitching as many innings as he did in 2012, deliberately keeping him out of the playoffs is a decision that will haunt the Nationals for a long, long time.
It has proven that shutting down young pitchers and re-starting them isn't a good idea, so you either have to keep him going or shut him down, there is no in between.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:10 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
It has proven that shutting down young pitchers and re-starting them isn't a good idea,
Source

Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Source
I've heard it said a number of times on TV, but here are a few who are saying it:

Caution with Stephen Strasburg overrides immediacy of pennant race | MLB.com: News
Quote:
Is there a creative way to do that? Not really. I don't think there is. MOD CUT

"Of course, it would be possible to simply have Strasburg take a break for, say, six weeks right about now. Let him rest his arm, then come back strong when the games count most. It would be possible, but it wouldn't be smart."

Said former Braves and Orioles pitching coach Leo Mazzone: "You know what the hardest thing on the arm is? Starting and stopping. So now you're going to lay it up for two weeks or whatever and then crank it up again? It doesn't make any sense."

Kerrigan agreed.

"I think the risk of injury would be high to shut him down like that," he said. "Then you restart the arm up. I just think that's risky. Very risky. The arm's been on that pace. Throwing every five days. MOD CUT
It's basically the same risk you would take if not worst than continuing to pitch him.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-25-2012 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: too much of a copyright protected article

Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
It has proven that shutting down young pitchers and re-starting them isn't a good idea, so you either have to keep him going or shut him down, there is no in between.
Quote:
I've heard it said a number of times on TV

So, to prove my theory about Elvis shooting JFK, all I need is for someone to say it on television?

From the linked article:
Quote:
Then you shut him down and you start him up again, you don't know how the arm's going to react."
Perhaps you should vet your witnesses a bit before calling them to the stand.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,118 times
The Nats could have used him, but they could have won Game 5 (and that series) without him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball