Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:28 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Also, upon further thought I think I'd flip-flop Petco Park and OPACY. I really liked Petco, and OPACY is showing its age a little. Also, they built a new hotel in the parking lot that used to be across the street from OPACY beyond LF, and that hotel blocks the view of the iconic Bromo Seltzer Tower from most seats. Don't get me wrong though, OPACY is still great, especially if you come into the park from downtown, the light rail, or the MARC Camden Line (and enter the park on the north side of Eutaw Street or the left-center field gate).

I wouldn't mind visiting Petco Park. Lots of interesting features there. They did a really good job. The only thing I disagree with is them having one of the bullpens along the foul line in right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 07:54 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
For those of you who are tired of retro parks (like I am), here's what Kauffman in KC should look like when it's all said and done.
The overall look is very similar to the original design, except for the the glass-enclosed part on the lower level, and there appears to be some sort of concrete wall on the sides of the lower level. It was way ahead of the curve when it opened in 1973.
Interesting tidbit: Kauffman, originally called Royals, Stadium was the only baseball specific park built in the Majors between 1962 and 1991.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
For those of you who are tired of retro parks (like I am), here's what Kauffman in KC should look like when it's all said and done.
The overall look is very similar to the original design, except for the the glass-enclosed part on the lower level, and there appears to be some sort of concrete wall on the sides of the lower level. It was way ahead of the curve when it opened in 1973.
Interesting tidbit: Kauffman, originally called Royals, Stadium was the only baseball specific park built in the Majors between 1962 and 1991.

That will be one I'd like to go see when it's completed.

And, just for the record, I'm not tired of the retro-looking parks. I'd say these guys did a good job. It beats cookie-cutters.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:23 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I agree Doplhin Stadium is horrible, what did you think of Turner Field?
In fairness Dolphin Stadium, like the Metrodome, was built for football, and baseball is strictly an afterthought in those stadiums. I visited Dolphin Stadium last fall for a Cubs-Marlins game, and the atmosphere was pretty good, helped no doubt by the many Cub fans there.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
That will be one I'd like to go see when it's completed.

And, just for the record, I'm not tired of the retro-looking parks. I'd say these guys did a good job. It beats cookie-cutters.
I think the renovations will be pretty impressive. When it opened, it went against grain of the multi-purpose, donut things built before and after, and now they do it again, going against the popular downtown retro parks. A lot of people wanted them to build a ballpark downtown, but redoing the Sports Complex got more votes. Downtown Kansas City is extremely cool and all, but I'm glad the Royals stayed put.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:39 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
They did a "great" job renovating a new stadium that was by far the worst new stadium I have ever seen. No personality what-so-ever besides keeping the look of the old score board. They have had to put so much money into it just to get it looking half-way presentable. The surroundings is one of the biggest knocks, without actually talking about the stadium. Bridgeport is nice, but go east and that is not the best neighborhood in the city by a long shot, even though they are taking down all the CHA buildings along there.
I've never understood the hate for new Comiskey. Personally, I cant stand the retro parks (or post-modernism design in general)..its all backwards looking, fueled on fakey forced nostalgia. If you're going to build a new park, do something bold and innovative. New Comiskey actually opened to rave reviews, it wasnt until Camden Yards came along that everyone turned on it.

Quote:
You go to Comiskey ( US Cellular ) when you can't get tickets to a Cubs game.
Well maybe YOU do if you hold no allegiance to either team, but as a Sox fan, that question dosent even enter my mind. I went to Wrigley once, and have absolutely no desire to return, thank you very much.

Now you wanna talk about bad stadiums, lets talk Tropicana.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:44 PM

81 posts, read 244,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
Stadiums I would love see:

Fenway Park
Camden Yards
Wrigley Field
PNC Park
Dodger Stadium
Fenway Park is just amazing.. all the fans!!! Though it is like the smallest stadium, just all of the spirit that comes out of the fans just like puts you in a trance lol!!

Camden Yards is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! You HAVE to go.

PNC is Very nice too, but it does not compare to Camden Yards!

I hope you goo there very soon!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:50 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
I've only been to three so far but I hope to go to more.

In order:

Comiskey Park (I've been to old and new but don't remember old)
Wrigely Field
Dolphin Stadium

The Marlins really do need their own stadium because that thing is just not working for them and they are not welcomed. I really don't like Wrigley that much. I am a Sox fan but that has very little to do with it. From the pictures though Old Comiskey looked really neat. I have seen PNC PArk on tv and driven past it and if I have a chance I will visit it because it looks like the best in Baseball. There is also a stadium with a waterfall that I liked on tv, I can't think of whose it is though. Probably Angel Stadium.

I am worried about the Twins' new stadium because it doesn't have a retractable roof after all the talk about having games further south in the first month. The first few months will be bad.

Last edited by thePR; 07-01-2008 at 12:09 AM..

Old 07-01-2008, 09:33 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Anyone here been Nationals Park? I'll be heading there this month to catch a game.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:38 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Anyone here been Nationals Park? I'll be heading there this month to catch a game.
Uh, read Page 10 (the one before the page the post quoted above is on).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball