Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Don't forget Earl Weaver as one of the coaches on Casey Stengel's staff. No one is even CLOSE to Earl for the number of games to be thrown out of. Earl didn't need to discuss baseball with the umpires. He might go out to argue politics if the game was getting boring.
Actually. Bobby Cox owns the record for ejections. Isn't John McGraw second?

As a side note, the man who owns the career ejections record for players in Japan is Tuffy Rhodes (currently of Orix). I think he's into double digits now. Nobody else is even close. I have no idea who owns the managerial record. Maybe somebody like Senichi Hoshino. But don't quote me on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:46 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
Tug McGraw would have to be the closer

Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Former Tigers Kirk Gibson & Dave Rozema.

Rozema ended a season early when he injured himself in a bar performing a flying drop kick.

As the Tigers "color man" on Fox Sports Detroit, Gibby arranged a "secret" mic and headset for David Wells when the Yankees were visiting Detroit.

On air, Wells and Gibson "talked" throughout the entire game while Wells was sitting in the dugout. Most of it was broadcasted.

BTW, Rozema and Gibson are Brothers -in- law.

Their wives are sisters.

They met them at their place of employment.

The strip club.

Honorable mention to Sparky Anderson.

Would love to sit between him and President Goerge W. for an hour.

I'd be lookin' like the AFLAC duck.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:03 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Tug McGraw would have to be the closer
And Larry Andersen as his set up man.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:57 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
Who would manage this team? Definitely Casey Stengel.
No Way! EARL WEAVER!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Sorry there, Lance. Earl Weaver wasn't half the character Casey Stengel was. But don't you think it would make for an interesting bench if Stengel chose Weaver and Billy Martin as his coaches?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Larry Bowa for 3rd base coach. I think Ozzie Guillen has a place on this coaching staff also.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Another recommendation for the pitching staff: Gaylord Perry...because you need someone to sneak in a spitball every now and then!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:12 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Sorry there, Lance. Earl Weaver wasn't half the character Casey Stengel was. But don't you think it would make for an interesting bench if Stengel chose Weaver and Billy Martin as his coaches?
Weavers explosions put Piniellas to shame especially in the 80's.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:02 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
I'll accept Rob's team with two changes.

Leftfield should be Rickey.

Henderson styled himself as the anti-Pete Rose, resolving to never employ a calorie more hustle than was precisely needed to make the play. Bases that he had easily made, he turned into close calls by jogging the last few feet. On a walk, he went to firstbase looking like a mime doing man running...all sorts of motion, but glacial linear progress. That act was a blur compared to his homerun trot, especially if he was pissed at the pitcher for some reason. In the outfield he developed his superfluous snatch catch which he executed in between the animated conversations he sustained with the fans in the nearest stands.

Most famously, he didn't speak English, he spoke Rickey, a variation on English but without the constrictions of structure, tense and rules. In Rickey, all nouns may instantly be converted to verbs, ("I homerunned him the 4th") the personal pronoun is overthrown in favor of third person identification ("This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey") and sentences were marked by bloody modifier pile ups. ( "I gots the mostest runs more than anybody ever before all time.")

I was at a game in Oakland where Rickey had been faking an injury because he was pouting over some slight, so he didn't start the game. In the 8th, he was sent in as a pinch runner. There was a delay while Rickey casually dawned his sliding gloves and made numerous adjustments to his uniform in the dugout. Then he finally emerged and advanced toward first at the velocity of a senior citizen with a walker. When he at last reached first, he didn't stop, he kept right on going into rightfield, apparently his version of warming up. He went about half way out to the bullpen, stopped, did some stretches, and then headed back in to take his base.

Naturally he stole second on the first pitch to the plate.

So I'd bench Manny and start Rickey in left.

Marv Throneberry wasn't so much a character as a chosen symbol. He was inept, but not outstandingly inept compared to his teammates. He had a milquetoast name, a bald head and a sad sack face, so he got singled out as a fan favorite. He was never colorful, his fans were.

John Kruk would seem the better fit, perhaps Dick Stuart or Joe Pepitone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball