Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:32 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
See this is where you are slipping. You refuse to read the words; all of them. Does spending help? Yes it definitely can play a factor. But is it the sole factor a team wins? Definitely not. Good choices by GM's, whether it's acquiring an average guy at a discount price, or a good player underachieving because he might be surrounded by bad people. This is why Cashman and his staff and our previous GM's are very underrated. Guys like Brosius, Charlie Hayes, Swisher, and Jose Molina are great examples of role players that totally helped the organization. Even a decent guy like Paul O'Neill (who was acquired in the Roberto Kelly trade with Cincy) was a great trade made by our team, and the fact that we recognized his potential over RK's means our scouts are doing a great job too (I know this was before Cashmans time). By the way, if you are so petty on the fact that I call them my team, than maybe you need to take a look at your own life and determine why this is such an issue for you. Try smiling in the mirror, or getting a hobby. Maybe a companion for yourself would be a step in the right direction. Now i'll go back to analyzing MY TEAM and MY PLAYERS to determine who WE will be going after this upcoming season. Maybe i'll watch MY STEELERS monday night. Hopefully MY Islanders can bounce back from their current funk.
The late 90's Yankees were a dynasty and I had total respect for them. It was a mostly home built team and the Yankees were very good about adding the pieces each year they needed to win. I never considered that team bought. They did what about 8 or 10 teams in the league do today. Good nucleus..add the right parts (ala Texas with Lee)

Now...the Bankeeeees of the 2000's are not gonna get respect. This team now is basically made up of free agents who DRIVE the bus. The late 90's that was not the case. The Bankees refuse to do what all other teams need to do and that is REBUILD... Except Cano and Hughes (I guess, not super impressed) who drives this teams bus? Yea , yea , you have thrown out a crapload of names that are homegrown... Every team has those type players....I mean Joba?? Joba??? Gardner? Thames? Nice players, good parts...cmon.

Tell you what I am a huge NY Giant fan..what the Giants did in 2007 will go down as the greatest accomplishment for the teams I root for in sports. It was all guts , no bought players, no superstars...that was a victory and nothing about it felt tainted.

As for you saying "we" and "our" ..go ahead...it just sounds silly to me...I can't say its not your right to though. As for your personal attack, not even worth addressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
The late 90's Yankees were a dynasty and I had total respect for them. It was a mostly home built team and the Yankees were very good about adding the pieces each year they needed to win. I never considered that team bought. They did what about 8 or 10 teams in the league do today. Good nucleus..add the right parts (ala Texas with Lee)

Now...the Bankeeeees of the 2000's are not gonna get respect. This team now is basically made up of free agents who DRIVE the bus. The late 90's that was not the case. The Bankees refuse to do what all other teams need to do and that is REBUILD... Except Cano and Hughes (I guess, not super impressed) who drives this teams bus? Yea , yea , you have thrown out a crapload of names that are homegrown... Every team has those type players....I mean Joba?? Joba??? Gardner? Thames? Nice players, good parts...cmon.

Tell you what I am a huge NY Giant fan..what the Giants did in 2007 will go down as the greatest accomplishment for the teams I root for in sports. It was all guts , no bought players, no superstars...that was a victory and nothing about it felt tainted.

As for you saying "we" and "our" ..go ahead...it just sounds silly to me...I can't say its not your right to though. As for your personal attack, not even worth addressing.
If you want me to be technical, I am a part owner; but even if I wasn't, I would still call it my or our team. Before the Steinbrenners bought the team in the 70's, my father bought into the team. Obviously it is a minority stake but it is still a share. In the mid 80's I bought out half of my fathers shares and still keep all of my documents in my safe deposit. We too are a family that will keep ownership of this organization for years and will pass it down from generation to generation. So even if we didn't have any stake, we still would have a sense of pride, loyalty, and ownership. Especially as people that were born in the Bronx (Flatbush and Webster Ave.). If you're asking about my connection with all the sports teams I follow, this team doesn't feel as close as the 90's teams but it is still a team with almost as much homegrown talent even if you refuse to acknowledge it. It's also not if your homegrowns are superstars, it matters if they can play well together.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:29 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
If you want me to be technical, I am a part owner; but even if I wasn't, I would still call it my or our team. Before the Steinbrenners bought the team in the 70's, my father bought into the team. Obviously it is a minority stake but it is still a share. In the mid 80's I bought out half of my fathers shares and still keep all of my documents in my safe deposit. We too are a family that will keep ownership of this organization for years and will pass it down from generation to generation. So even if we didn't have any stake, we still would have a sense of pride, loyalty, and ownership. Especially as people that were born in the Bronx (Flatbush and Webster Ave.). If you're asking about my connection with all the sports teams I follow, this team doesn't feel as close as the 90's teams but it is still a team with almost as much homegrown talent even if you refuse to acknowledge it. It's also not if your homegrowns are superstars, it matters if they can play well together.
Heh..listen.,,you love the team and I respect that. If you want to call it "we" its fine. Lets get off that, its not important.

As for homegrown talent, yes, it is full of homegrown talent, but the key players are not. In the late 90's , most all the key players were the homegrowns.I'm sorry, we can argue this all day. You CANNOT spend 200 million on contracts in one swoop over a one week period and expect outsiders to see it as "ok" ...its only "ok" to Yankee fans...everyone else sees it as buying a shot at a pennant...

Old 11-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Heh..listen.,,you love the team and I respect that. If you want to call it "we" its fine. Lets get off that, its not important.

As for homegrown talent, yes, it is full of homegrown talent, but the key players are not. In the late 90's , most all the key players were the homegrowns.I'm sorry, we can argue this all day. You CANNOT spend 200 million on contracts in one swoop over a one week period and expect outsiders to see it as "ok" ...its only "ok" to Yankee fans...everyone else sees it as buying a shot at a pennant...
You can view it how you like but the Yankees and the Steinbrenners DID NOT make the rules for MLB. The league can easily change the guidelines with true caps and it is voted on all the time but ALWAYS gets shot down. Considering the Yankees only get one vote can they be blamed for the other teams votes? Definitely not! Like I said before, if the rules were changed, they would operate within those rules too. As for the key players on the current team, last I looked Posada, Jeter, Mariano, Cano, and Pettitte were all homegrown and key guys.
You know what's a shame? The fact that I can call them my team and i'm absolutely right. In around 1971-1972 my father was working for the Times Mirror Corporation (Newsday) and was offered a piece of the Yankees along with a bunch of other guys at his job. They were owned by CBS at that time. My father had alot of pride in his Bronx roots at this time and liked the idea. So him and about a dozen other guys bought in. Who would have thought that 40 years later we still own a piece of the pie. Unfortunately it's not a sizeable share but I can brag that my family owned part of the Yankees before the Steinbrenners. The funny thing about Newsday is that the owners are ridiculous but the workers who stuck around for years made out well due to the change in their ownership. They were owned by the LA Times and then the Chicago Tribune bought them out and made most of the commercial drivers practically millionaires due to the 3 for 1 stock split. My father lucked out in this situation. Now the Dolans own it and you know what happens to everything the Dolans touch... it turns to sh..!

Old 12-28-2010, 01:48 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
MLB Season Payrolls from 1999-2010

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/docs/Fi...byYear_MLB.pdf

Old 01-02-2011, 12:25 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
I give up my man. You win..you are hell bent trying to convice us spending more money doesn't matter. You fail to see the fact teams who send money are always in the mix. They may not win it, but they always give themselves a chance. My complaint is BANKEE fans expect the money to be spent like its entitled to them...and now Red Sox fans and Phillie fans are right on the wagon too. How dare my team not spend millions on free agency to improve...whats wrong with our management!!
The payoff for having a strong team is strong attendance and greater media exposure which leads to greater gains in things like merchandising.

Yankee fans have been indoctrinated by George Steinbrenner. His philosophy was to spend top dollar for top talent to field a competitive team that consistently contends for the World Series. The payoff off is attendance of over 3 million fans a year to a stadium with some of the highest ticket prices in the nation and a lucrative cable television deal in the largest media market in the nation. From a purely financial standpoint it's a winning formula.

It's the free enterprise system at its finest. If people are willing to pay for the best talent why should they be denied? Teams like the Twins have proven that you can be competitive with home grown talent.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The payoff for having a strong team is strong attendance and greater media exposure which leads to greater gains in things like merchandising.

Yankee fans have been indoctrinated by George Steinbrenner. His philosophy was to spend top dollar for top talent to field a competitive team that consistently contends for the World Series. The payoff off is attendance of over 3 million fans a year to a stadium with some of the highest ticket prices in the nation and a lucrative cable television deal in the largest media market in the nation. From a purely financial standpoint it's a winning formula.

It's the free enterprise system at its finest. If people are willing to pay for the best talent why should they be denied? Teams like the Twins have proven that you can be competitive with home grown talent.
I love what Minnesota does and alot of teams need to follow that model but even the Yankees start with homegrown talent before filling in the gaps. Every team plays the free agent game, the Yankees are just one of the teams that can bid high or higher than most but it all depends on whether or not the player wants to play for us. Cliff Lee chose not to and that is his choice.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's the free enterprise system at its finest.
Complete with barriers to entry, legalized monopoly, competitive advantages, etc...

Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Complete with barriers to entry, legalized monopoly, competitive advantages, etc...
do you think millionaires and billionaires are realistically crying poverty? There is no monopoly just certain owners that don't care as much about winning as profit. Teams like the Red Sox, Phillies, Yankees do what they have to do. Teams like the Pirates just sit back and pray for the best and refuse to loosen the purse strings.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
do you think millionaires and billionaires are realistically crying poverty?
No. Everyone who owns a major league team is pretty rich

Quote:
There is no monopoly
Federal Baseball Club v. National League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Federal Baseball Club v. National League, 259 U.S. 200 (1922), is a case in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Sherman Antitrust Act did not apply to Major League Baseball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Turner
Gentlemen we have the only legal monopoly in the country and we're ****ing it up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball