U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Reputation: 4851

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
P.S. Playing for the Knicks isn't going to get you a bunch of automatic votes. We covered that in a thread here a couple years back when the Knicks had a loooooong dry spell of all-star game appearances and David Lee had to be SELECTED by the coaches to get in.
He was actually a replacement for Allen Iverson (injured) in that 2010 all-star game in Dallas.

But the Knicks team at that time was much worse and you had more good players for the forward positions in the East at that time.
LeBron (Cleveland), Garnett and Pierce (on a strong Boston team), Bosh (Toronto), Smith and Horford (Hawks) etc.
I know all these players still play in the East but not at the level of 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 PM
 
51,887 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Reputation: 32369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
He was actually a replacement for Allen Iverson (injured) in that 2010 all-star game in Dallas.

But the Knicks team at that time was much worse and you had more good players for the forward positions in the East at that time.
LeBron (Cleveland), Garnett and Pierce (on a strong Boston team), Bosh (Toronto), Smith and Horford (Hawks) etc.
I know all these players still play in the East but not at the level of 2 years ago.
I was merely pointing out that the "big city" phenomenon didn't help Lee get "1 million votes" just because he was on the Knicks and was their star player.

I can tell you flat out I wouldn't trade deng straight up for Melo right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Reputation: 4851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I was merely pointing out that the "big city" phenomenon didn't help Lee get "1 million votes" just because he was on the Knicks and was their star player.

I can tell you flat out I wouldn't trade deng straight up for Melo right now.
You crazy.
Deng is out for 6 games straight now.
Deng missed 16% of his team games in his career, Melo only missed 8%.
Anthony is one of the best offensive players in the game, he just had a slow start this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2012, 02:55 PM
 
51,887 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Reputation: 32369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
You crazy.
Deng is out for 6 games straight now.
Deng missed 16% of his team games in his career, Melo only missed 8%.
Anthony is one of the best offensive players in the game, he just had a slow start this season.
1. Deng plays defense, considered by many to have been robbed of an all-defense team selection last year.
2. He doesn't launch up tons of bad shots in order to score lots of points.
3. Melo is a team cancer

P.S. Deng played all 82 games last year, something melo has never done.

I used to be pro-Melo, but his game has regressed A LOT and his shot selection, attitude...everything has gotten worse. Maybe something is going on in his personal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Reputation: 4851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

P.S. Deng played all 82 games last year, something melo has never done.
Carmelo Anthony

03/04 - 82/82
04/05 - 75/82
05/06 - 80/82
06/07 - 65/82
07/08 - 77/82
08/09 - 66/82
09/10 - 69/82
10/11 - 77/82
11/12 - 18/21

----------------

Luol Deng

04/05 - 61/82
05/06 - 78/82
06/07 - 82/82
07/08 - 63/82
08/09 - 49/82
09/10 - 70/82
10/11 - 82/82
11/12 - 18/24

75+ games in a season = Green (Good)
67-74 games = Blue (Average)
Under 67 games = Red (Bad)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 PM
 
51,887 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Reputation: 32369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Carmelo Anthony

03/04 - 82/82
04/05 - 75/82
05/06 - 80/82
06/07 - 65/82
07/08 - 77/82
08/09 - 66/82
09/10 - 69/82
10/11 - 77/82
11/12 - 18/21

----------------

Luol Deng

04/05 - 61/82
05/06 - 78/82
06/07 - 82/82
07/08 - 63/82
08/09 - 49/82
09/10 - 70/82
10/11 - 82/82
11/12 - 18/24

75+ games in a season = Green (Good)
67-74 games = Blue (Average)
Under 67 games = Red (Bad)
As someone that make a (very) nice living doing mathematical analysis....I just wet myself laughing. Please explain, in mathematical terms how one band is "average" another is "good" and so forth.

Granted you also ignored defense, shooting percentage and team attitude....oh nevermind.....good luck with your future endeavors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 01:01 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I used to be pro-Melo, but his game has regressed A LOT and his shot selection, attitude...everything has gotten worse. Maybe something is going on in his personal life.
I'm not even sure it's so much regression, as it is his game has simply plateaued. He hasn't really gotten better the last few years, and that's made glaringly obvious by the ever-widening gap between him and Lebron, and even Durant surpassing him a year or two ago. He's basically in his prime now, but I suspect what you see now is all you'll ever see. That's the impression I get.

The other thing is in New York, he's being used as a playmaker on some occasions and that's simply not his game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 04:42 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
167 posts, read 233,785 times
Reputation: 36
Kevin Love should be the starting PF instead of Blake Griffin, but I get that it's a popularity contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 05:45 AM
 
Location: Waco, TX
977 posts, read 1,629,417 times
Reputation: 683
Just look at the Bulls points allowed since Deng went out. They were giving up like 88/game, now all of a sudden they are giving up 95-100 per game. It's too bad, I think the way Luol was playing early this season would have earned him an All-Star nomination if he didn't get hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Reputation: 4851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Please explain, in mathematical terms how one band is "average" another is "good" and so forth.
I find it difficult to argue on the internet, remember English is not my 1st language so it's not that easy to debate with a American Bulls fan (as hard as that is already).

I need my mouth and my hands (no homo lol) to win a debate.

If you miss more than 20% of the games in a season i would call that a bad/unhealthy season, 10-19% = average, if you missed under 10% i would call that a good/healthy season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top