Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

Assume that the season ends, Lakers are .500 and miss the playoffs or get in and get blasted in the 1st round.

Kobe, Pau, MWP and Nash all still have another year on their contract so there is little hope of improvement there.

What do you do if you are Dwight Howard?

Re-up? He'd be likely staring at another wasted season and then possibly being stuck in the middle of a complete rebuild.

Demand a trade? What would the lakers be able to get? Where might he accept going?

Would you go to a team like the Clippers etc. for less than the max?

Just curious what you think he would do.

I personally have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 PM

27 posts, read 53,964 times
Either stay and hope they trade World Peace and Gasol for some better fitting pieces because let's face it, the Lakers have no chemistry or test the free agency waters during the off season.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,617,430 times
I would stay and hope they are so bad their draft pick is a lottery pick, because if it is they get to keep it.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:20 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,479,862 times
I'll echo what the other 2 said: stay, and hope the Lakers are able to trade Gasol and World Peace for some young players/better draft picks.

I could care less whatever happens to him. After all the $%^%^ing he did in Orlando, he gets whatever he deserves, and hopefully its a team that has a crappy run for the next 3 or 4 seasons.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Let me ask this question then.

If they can't trade MWP and Gasol now....what makes you think they can trade them in the off-season?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,027 times
Dwight stays. Unless the Lakers opt for Lebron in 2 years when Kobe retires, Dwight will be the face of the Lakers.

But there are tons of things still going on that probably won't be addressed until after the All-Star Break.

The Lakers are rebuilding this year; that's the only thing you can call it. Next year they will be a much better team.

If you're Dwight, you have to realize that you're still not 100%. You have to realize that the West is a much harder conference. You have to realize that you have to change your game as the game is changing around you.

Dwight will only leave if the Lakers do absolutely horrible and team chemistry falls to junk. But I don't really see that happening. Once D'Antoni gets his rotations right, players get to 100% and maybe make a couple of trades for a deeper bench, I think a decent record and playoffs are in the cards.

Next year chemistry will be better and the management will be adding pieces rather than an entire new team.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:55 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Default I'd focus on MY game

I'd stay and work like hell on my game. I'm a lousy free-throw shooter and just not very smart. I foul too easily, am not a good passer, have no outside shot, am limited in the paint, and am considered overrated by those in the know. I need to develop some serious versatility, so I'd became a student of the game and watch great centers like Hakeem and Duncan.

This would be my central focus, not what the owners are doing in crafting a team. Just make sure I'm the best that I can be, and this includes getting my health 100%. Time to get serious instead of acting like a buffoon and a lark.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 AM

432 posts, read 610,557 times
The Lakers remind me of the Eagles. Great off season, huge expectations, but fail to execute. The lakers have the pieces to become a champ just like the Eagles. Just crappy coaches, bad chemistry, and injuries ruin it. If Howard doesn't opt for Brooklyn, then staying is a good option...

Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Dwight stays. Unless the Lakers opt for Lebron in 2 years when Kobe retires, Dwight will be the face of the Lakers.

But there are tons of things still going on that probably won't be addressed until after the All-Star Break.

The Lakers are rebuilding this year; that's the only thing you can call it. Next year they will be a much better team.

If you're Dwight, you have to realize that you're still not 100%. You have to realize that the West is a much harder conference. You have to realize that you have to change your game as the game is changing around you.

Dwight will only leave if the Lakers do absolutely horrible and team chemistry falls to junk. But I don't really see that happening. Once D'Antoni gets his rotations right, players get to 100% and maybe make a couple of trades for a deeper bench, I think a decent record and playoffs are in the cards.

Next year chemistry will be better and the management will be adding pieces rather than an entire new team.
I keep hearing about *trades* but whom does the Lakers trade? They have some serious dead weight on their roster in terms of salary to performance. I mean, could you even get a decent 6th man for say....MWP? But then you'd need a new SF.....

Also, the Lakers LOOK like they are rebuilding this year but all they did was swap centers and add Nash. That's an attempt to win this year or next but it's not a rebuild, it's a patch job.

The real rebuild is going to happen the season after next. Have you noticed the timed expiration of 4 of 5 starters contracts?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
These trades are not realistic because even if you trade Gasol and MWP, there is a very small chance that they will get players back that will make them better. If he is smart, he would leave this team, go to a team like Dallas who has a ton of cap space, an established superstar who compliments his game, decent complimentary pieces (especially if they re-sign OJ Mayo) and a much better ran organization that has recently won the championship. The only other team that could realistically give him a better chance and give him a max contract is Chicago and they would have to do a sign and trade just to complete the deal (which actually might help the Lakers' depth on their roster if they did it).

EDIT: Houston would have money too and that wouldn't be a bad option either, especially learning from one of the best big men ever, Kevin McHale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball