Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
At this point I don't think it matters. I'm almost 100% positive he's going to bail when the year is done or maybe the Lakers will trade him away if it looks like the playoffs are out of reach at the trade deadline. Getting something for him would obviously be better than him just walking away with no compensation.
How would Kobe respond to being "lame ducked" for the last year of his contract with the Lakers?

Because that would mean next years team would probably be:
Kobe
Nash
Pau (untradeable maybe....they could amnesty him though to avoid lux tax.)
MWP
Crappy bench
Whatever they get from faciliating a Dwight sign and trade....maybe a mediocre 1st round pick?

That's a clear lottery team....but hey, Kobe is #5 on the scoring list and can just chase his way up it.
He should pass Wilt and MJ here pretty soon but then it's a longer haul to catch Malone and then Kareem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,257 times
I didn't realize the Lakers were actually 12th in the standings right now? And they need like a 10 game swing to actually put themselves in contention for the 8th spot, with those currently in that position faltering along the way. The Lakers not making the playoffs is a genuine possibility, but there's still lots of Basketball left in the season.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I didn't realize the Lakers were actually 12th in the standings right now? And they need like a 10 game swing to actually put themselves in contention for the 8th spot, with those currently in that position faltering along the way. The Lakers not making the playoffs is a genuine possibility, but there's still lots of Basketball left in the season.
I give them maybe a 10% chance of making the playoffs at this point.

The losses are rapidly piling up with the injuries and they don't have the luxury of playing in the east where .500 would get them in.

As I mentioned earlier, 4-7 in thier remaining January games is very possible if Dwight isn't back soon and at that point they'd be pretty much in an impossible hole.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,096,237 times
Funny, realgm has a story saying LAL are 95% sure Howard signs.

Funny thing is, it was 95% Phil was coming to coach again.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
If I am Howards, I would stop crying and play like I'm really worth the 20m.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
If I am Howards, I would stop crying and play like I'm really worth the 20m.
Well, gee....you are paying gasol 19mil.

Nash 9+ and MWP 9+

Seems to me that he HAS played fairly well. but the rest of the team has crapped out.

Gee, they let OKC score at >50% last night....yeah....sure could use oh....a 3 time fefensive MVP.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How would Kobe respond to being "lame ducked" for the last year of his contract with the Lakers?

Because that would mean next years team would probably be:
Kobe
Nash
Pau (untradeable maybe....they could amnesty him though to avoid lux tax.)
MWP
Crappy bench
Whatever they get from faciliating a Dwight sign and trade....maybe a mediocre 1st round pick?

That's a clear lottery team....but hey, Kobe is #5 on the scoring list and can just chase his way up it.
He should pass Wilt and MJ here pretty soon but then it's a longer haul to catch Malone and then Kareem.
There is still a demand for Pau if he comes back healthy and in time. If Howard is traded you'll have teams drooling of signing him to a long term deal. Most teams think that his issue is based on where he is playing now and not based on declining skills. They could easily get another center in return and a good pick at a minimum. Trust me, a team that is a center away from being dominant, heading into the playoffs might jump at the chance of trading for him. Now the question is, how stubborn are the Lakers and are they under the misconception that he will sign long term there?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
There is still a demand for Pau if he comes back healthy and in time. If Howard is traded you'll have teams drooling of signing him to a long term deal. Most teams think that his issue is based on where he is playing now and not based on declining skills. They could easily get another center in return and a good pick at a minimum. Trust me, a team that is a center away from being dominant, heading into the playoffs might jump at the chance of trading for him. Now the question is, how stubborn are the Lakers and are they under the misconception that he will sign long term there?
Good points.

With regards to Pau, it's widely discussed that he's going to be hard to trade with his salary, age etc.

The Lakers best bet with him would be a team looking for a fast rebuild that would just pick him up because his contract expires next year and it would help them clear cap faster than some of their other contracts. However, that might be the position the Lakers is in and so that's an unattractive trade for them.

The luxury tax gets EXTREMELY serious starting next year. Pau's 20mil is a big big issue. At this point, I could even see the Lakers using their "gilbert arenas" on him if they go full-rebuild. (I can't remember what it's really called, amnesty or something like that and I'm too tired to look it up. )

Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,096,237 times
so the lakers have won 2 in a row fairly handily. common theme in both wins, kobe took less then 20 shots in each game, they got the ball to howard more. oh and both opponents suck......

Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
so the lakers have won 2 in a row fairly handily. common theme in both wins, kobe took less then 20 shots in each game, they got the ball to howard more. oh and both opponents suck......
Yep, they will need to finish the month *strong* to climb back into the playoff hunt. Dwight came back sooner than I thought he would so there is a glimmer of hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball