Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 01:39 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,096,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
It's no troll, it's a fact. Jimmer is a world class shooter Green ain't
How many playoffs has jimmer made?

What else can jimmer do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 02:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
How many playoffs has jimmer made?

What else can jimmer do?

Jimmer has made playoffs in China, D-league and NCAAs.
Jimmer is a pretty good ball handler and a natural scorer where Green is a one trick pony. Jimmer finds ways to score beside 3pt shots even though he's known for that.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Jimmer is a pretty good ball handler and a natural scorer where Green is a one trick pony. Jimmer finds ways to score beside 3pt shots even though he's known for that.
Lol made the playoffs in the minor leagues. Because that means something. Side note, his d'league team got swept out of the first round.
Jimmer is known for shooting 3s yet green has a better 3pt % and holds the NBA record for most made 3s in the finals.
Danny greens career averages are higher in ppg, blocks, steals, assists and rebounds. He plays leaps and bounds better defense, and isn't asked to be a scorer.

Danny green is just an all around better player than jimmer.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:28 PM

Green is a spare. Has he ever been the man on a team he's been on? He averaged a whopping 8pt career average as a 30 minute guy is NOT good

Old 06-25-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Green is a spare. Has he ever been the man on a team he's been on? He averaged a whopping 8pt career average as a 30 minute guy is NOT good
And yet, he has an NCAA championship, a ring, is a pivotal part of a great teams system, and he's making more per season than jimmer made his whole NBA career combined.

Funniest thing about it, Danny green "is not good" but has done everything that jimmer never could. Oops!

Old 06-25-2017, 11:43 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
I am a Kings fan (yeah, spare me the joke) and I've watched Jimmer during his most pivotal NBA period.

First of all, I give Jimmer a lot of props for working on his game. In his rookie year, he was terrible; I mean terrible as in he looked barely good enough to play in the D-League. He couldn't dribble to save his life, his shots weren't falling, and for God's sake he couldn't make a simple pass without throwing it away.

He made vast improvement, by his last season with the Kings, he was an average dribbler who can execute simple passes. He was even good enough to play PG against the other's team 2nd unit (although he still needed another ball handler next to him when he was being pressed). He made great strides in his offense, he became a good catch-and-shoot player and he learned to be very crafty to get his shots off against NBA defense. I truly believe if an NBA team give him starter minutes and don't care about his deficiency in other areas, he can be a JJ Redick type offensive player.

But the problem is, the game is more than just offense; and Jimmer's defense is just plain horrible. There is no one in the NBA he can guard. Take the most offensively inept NBA guard you have ever seen, that player can easily drop 25+ on Jimmer. There are some bad defenders that you can hide, but Jimmer is unhideable. He is that bad. He's not just slow, he's undersized 2. He is too small to guard 2 and too slow to guard 1.

While Jimmer is a good scorer, he isn't so great that you can overlook his weakness. Often in the NBA, it's about filling a role. Danny Green has a role - he's long, athletic, and can shoot. Jimmer has no role in the NBA, no coach has ever said to himself, "I really need an undersized two-guard with average handle who can't defend worth a lick."

Old 06-26-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I am a Kings fan (yeah, spare me the joke) and I've watched Jimmer during his most pivotal NBA period.

First of all, I give Jimmer a lot of props for working on his game. In his rookie year, he was terrible; I mean terrible as in he looked barely good enough to play in the D-League. He couldn't dribble to save his life, his shots weren't falling, and for God's sake he couldn't make a simple pass without throwing it away.

He made vast improvement, by his last season with the Kings, he was an average dribbler who can execute simple passes. He was even good enough to play PG against the other's team 2nd unit (although he still needed another ball handler next to him when he was being pressed). He made great strides in his offense, he became a good catch-and-shoot player and he learned to be very crafty to get his shots off against NBA defense. I truly believe if an NBA team give him starter minutes and don't care about his deficiency in other areas, he can be a JJ Redick type offensive player.

But the problem is, the game is more than just offense; and Jimmer's defense is just plain horrible. There is no one in the NBA he can guard. Take the most offensively inept NBA guard you have ever seen, that player can easily drop 25+ on Jimmer. There are some bad defenders that you can hide, but Jimmer is unhideable. He is that bad. He's not just slow, he's undersized 2. He is too small to guard 2 and too slow to guard 1.

While Jimmer is a good scorer, he isn't so great that you can overlook his weakness. Often in the NBA, it's about filling a role. Danny Green has a role - he's long, athletic, and can shoot. Jimmer has no role in the NBA, no coach has ever said to himself, "I really need an undersized two-guard with average handle who can't defend worth a lick."

Goes back to what I said as well, size mainly, the defense is a matter of being willing. Guys who are great scorers don't always take that part as seriously because they think the can outscore the other guy. I have no doubt if he got starters minutes he would average 20 in the NBA, but it might not be for a contending team.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:23 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Goes back to what I said as well, size mainly, the defense is a matter of being willing. Guys who are great scorers don't always take that part as seriously because they think the can outscore the other guy. I have no doubt if he got starters minutes he would average 20 in the NBA, but it might not be for a contending team.

Defense is more than just being willing and Jimmer is proof of that. It's not like he didn't try very hard at that end of the floor, he just can't guard anyone. Watching him guard an NBA player is like watching an average Joe trying to guard Michael Jordan, there is no way. Even Isaiah Thomas did a more passable job than Jimmer on defense ( IT was also a horrible defender, but at least he managed to stay in front of people some of the time).

Yes, Jimmer can put up some numbers if you give him minutes but NBA teams, even the bad ones, tend to give those minutes to guys with brighter future in the league.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Jimmer never duped anyone. He is what he is - a clean cut kid that could shoot the ball at an elite level. It's not like he nefariously attempted to con teams into drafting him. He played 5 seasons, made his money and still has at least a little interest from NBA teams. Period. End of discussion.
The Kings duped themselves into thinking a college Cinderella could be a useful NBA player.

Quote:
Are you serious? VOLUME. Scoring enough to put up 22ppg and 29ppg on 46/39/88 is ELITE.

For reference:

JJ Redick shot 43/41/91 - not that great of a shooter?
Steph Curry shot 47/41/88 - not that great of a shooter?

JJ, Jimmer and Steph were the focus of every team they played. What more do you expect from them?

And 69 games doesn't constitute playing an NBA season? In what world? What next...gonna argue that Durant and Lebron didn't play in 2017 because they didn't play 82 games?
Do you know what the difference (on offense) is between Jimmer & Steph/JJ? Steph & JJ can get & make shots at the NBA level. Reddick is elite at coming offscreens and taking spot up shots. Steph is an elite ball handler with the quickest release the NBA has ever seen and can shoot from range off the dribble better than any player in the 3 Pt era.

Jimmer is not on their planets.

Quote:
This is how he averaged 29pts game in college, 22 in the D league and 37pts/game in China. His game is that way and he'll make a crap ton of money in China for a few more years. He may or may not get another NBA shot, we shall see.

The article is right on regarding his athleticism, meaning there is a long list of players who are athletic enough for the NBA that never sniff a roster spot.

The point also for guys like rigas who only cares about the spurs (which need help) is that there are lots of NBA caliber players that for whatever reason didn't make it. To me its Jimmers size and style NOT ability.
There are tons of NBA players who are not capable of scoring the way he does. First year in China - leading scorer and league MVP
Jimmer finished the year #1 in scoring at 37.6pts / game and 47% shooting 40% 3pt and 93.5% ft shooting along with 8.2rebs, 4.2 assists and 1.6 steals.
Wait--are you trying to say that stats in China show that Fredette is an NBA-caliber player? There are at least 4 basketball leagues between the NBA & China in terms of the level competition, including the NCAA.

Quote:
That's the travesty, Jimmer is a much much better shooter than danny green!
Not at the NBA level. Danny Green can shoot at the NBA level and Jimmer cannot.

Quote:
So far I've heard that he "only made $10M", wasn't "THAT good" of a shooter and never actually played in the NBA because he didn't start.

Most 1st rounders stay around a while, but as I said, those making the selections don't always get it right so once you get out of the top 7-8 or so players (typically NBA ready) you more frequently run into players like Jimmer, Jajuan Johnson, Jordan Hamilton, Marshon Brooks, Chris Singleton or Nolan Smith (all 2011 first rounders no longer playing). If we are talking bust, Jimmer doesn't even win the award in his own draft class -that goes to Jan Vesely picked #6 and also no longer playing in the league. Heck, Jimmer doesn't even rank as the 2nd worst pick considering Derrick Williams at #2 should have been a franchise changing perennial all-star yet has amounted to a 6ppg role player nearing a D-league position.
That Vesely is an even bigger bust doesn't change the fact that Jimmer is a bust, too. At least Derrick Williams is still in the NBA. Most players in the draft are not NBA ready, especially the top draft picks. Teams (especially at the top of the draft) are looking for potential. Lonzo Ball is going to need some time before he becomes a plus player in the NBA, but he has a high ceiling.

Quote:
It's no troll, it's a fact. Jimmer is a world class shooter Green ain't
Green is a very good shooter--and a very good shooter at the NBA level. Jimmer is a very good shooter who can't shoot at the NBA level.

Quote:
Green is an elite defender, sets good screens, and makes good decisions (on top of his good shooting). He is a really good NBA player, and the exact type of player who is oft-underrated. If any GM in the NBA would rather have Jimmer than Green, that person should immediately be fired.

Quote:
Has Jimmer ever been the man in the NBA? Oh.

Quote:

I'm sorry about your ownership & management team.

You can't run point if you need another ball handler (especially if you're running against 2nd units). Reddick is a decent NBA defender with better size than Fredette. If you can't run Point, it's extremely rare for a 6'3 or under Guard to make it in the NBA. The exceptions prove the rule: Jason Terry, Patrick Beverly, Monta Ellis.

Quote:
Defense is more than just being willing and Jimmer is proof of that. It's not like he didn't try very hard at that end of the floor, he just can't guard anyone. Watching him guard an NBA player is like watching an average Joe trying to guard Michael Jordan, there is no way. Even Isaiah Thomas did a more passable job than Jimmer on defense ( IT was also a horrible defender, but at least he managed to stay in front of people some of the time).

Yes, Jimmer can put up some numbers if you give him minutes but NBA teams, even the bad ones, tend to give those minutes to guys with brighter future in the league.
If you are comparing your defense to a 5'9" player, then you have lost the war. 6'2 is small, but not too small for a PG to provide decent defense. Chris Paul is a good PG defender at 6'1. John Wall is 6'2" and an excellent PG defender. Steph Curry is a good PG defender at 6'3" (and not super athletic).

Old 06-26-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Kings duped themselves into thinking a college Cinderella could be a useful NBA player.

Do you know what the difference (on offense) is between Jimmer & Steph/JJ? Steph & JJ can get & make shots at the NBA level. Reddick is elite at coming offscreens and taking spot up shots. Steph is an elite ball handler with the quickest release the NBA has ever seen and can shoot from range off the dribble better than any player in the 3 Pt era.

Jimmer is not on their planets.

Wait--are you trying to say that stats in China show that Fredette is an NBA-caliber player? There are at least 4 basketball leagues between the NBA & China in terms of the level competition, including the NCAA.

Not at the NBA level. Danny Green can shoot at the NBA level and Jimmer cannot.

That Vesely is an even bigger bust doesn't change the fact that Jimmer is a bust, too. At least Derrick Williams is still in the NBA. Most players in the draft are not NBA ready, especially the top draft picks. Teams (especially at the top of the draft) are looking for potential. Lonzo Ball is going to need some time before he becomes a plus player in the NBA, but he has a high ceiling.

Green is a very good shooter--and a very good shooter at the NBA level. Jimmer is a very good shooter who can't shoot at the NBA level.

Green is an elite defender, sets good screens, and makes good decisions (on top of his good shooting). He is a really good NBA player, and the exact type of player who is oft-underrated. If any GM in the NBA would rather have Jimmer than Green, that person should immediately be fired.

Has Jimmer ever been the man in the NBA? Oh.

I'm sorry about your ownership & management team.

You can't run point if you need another ball handler (especially if you're running against 2nd units). Reddick is a decent NBA defender with better size than Fredette. If you can't run Point, it's extremely rare for a 6'3 or under Guard to make it in the NBA. The exceptions prove the rule: Jason Terry, Patrick Beverly, Monta Ellis.

If you are comparing your defense to a 5'9" player, then you have lost the war. 6'2 is small, but not too small for a PG to provide decent defense. Chris Paul is a good PG defender at 6'1. John Wall is 6'2" and an excellent PG defender. Steph Curry is a good PG defender at 6'3" (and not super athletic).

Green is an pretty good defender, not elite, and a career 7pt/game scorer. Not very good for a guy who has had the minutes he has.

Jimmer as good a shooter as anyone in the NBA, but agree on the defense.
As far as the China league, its better than you think, and if you count the NCAA as better, Jimmer averaged 29 there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball