Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:18 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Agree, that's why I have him top 15 all time! Isn't that good enough for you??
Nope, shame you're short changing a legend over "eye test"
Sad really
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 04:01 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Thats not scripture to me. Watch the games, I still like Bird, Magic better than Duncan and Lebron. Lebron because he's mentally small, Duncan is a winner and I like that, but saying hes #10-13 by the eyeball test is more accurate.
YOu're certainly entitled to your opinion but come on man....read the last 6 words you wrote.

"eyeball tests" introduce all kinds of player, team etc. bias. They are by definition the least accurate.

Also consider that he is the big fundamental, his game is built on consistently mangling opponents with high efficiency and he has all the flash of wet cardboard.

If you wanted to hand out a spirit animal to Tim Duncan, it would be a Saltwater crocodile. Baddest reptile around and you barely know it's there until it's like oh damn!

Old 02-13-2016, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Nope, shame you're short changing a legend over "eye test"
Sad really
I'm moving Jordan out of the top 10. All that tongue hanging out the mouth stuff and when he punched Kerr in practice plus my grandma got me his cologne one year for Christmas and I got a rash from it....just not passing the smell test.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:05 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
YOu're certainly entitled to your opinion but come on man....read the last 6 words you wrote.

"eyeball tests" introduce all kinds of player, team etc. bias. They are by definition the least accurate.

Also consider that he is the big fundamental, his game is built on consistently mangling opponents with high efficiency and he has all the flash of wet cardboard.

If you wanted to hand out a spirit animal to Tim Duncan, it would be a Saltwater crocodile. Baddest reptile around and you barely know it's there until it's like oh damn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm moving Jordan out of the top 10. All that tongue hanging out the mouth stuff and when he punched Kerr in practice plus my grandma got me his cologne one year for Christmas and I got a rash from it....just not passing the smell test.
Eyeball test, smell test, lol

I don't like the way Tim was laughing on the bench so I'm gonna T him up and boot him from the game...
Joey Crawford.

Don't worry about all the accolades, the rings, the blocks, the rebounds and points, let's not worry about the win shares, the mvps, the all nba, the all defense, let's not worry about rookie of the year and the finals mvps... He didn't ever win the defensive player of the year so he's clearly #15-45, somewhere in there.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:09 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Thats not scripture to me. Watch the games, I still like Bird, Magic better than Duncan and Lebron. Lebron because he's mentally small, Duncan is a winner and I like that, but saying hes #10-13 by the eyeball test is more accurate.
Let's be fair here. Larry Bird completely stunk up the 1981 NBA Finals scoring 8, 8 and 12 in consecutive games on .419 shooting for the series (and this was when the average FG% in the NBA was .486!). Cedric Maxwell led the Celtics in scoring and was declared Finals MVP. But nobody really remembers that and we say Bird "led" the Celtics to 3 titles when in reality he got bailed out by his team after some downright lousy performances. If Lebron played that poorly, he'd be crucified even if his team won the series.

The thing I don't like about bringing some of these old school players into the discussion is that most people make complete evaluations based on second hand lore and highlights. We can all remember terrible games that Kobe or Lebron have played since those games weren't that long ago, but how many people in the mid to late 30s can recall in vivid detail the truly horrendous games Larry Bird played? You would think he didn't have any.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:26 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ1bd2g3p1Y

Old 02-13-2016, 03:31 PM

Every player has his good and bad moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZZasMfEMU

Old 02-13-2016, 03:49 PM

I also don't get how Lebron gets blamed for the 2014 NBA Finals disaster (at least my friends blame him for it and constantly bring it up as a reason why his career has been a total failure). He averaged 28.2 points, 7.8 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 2.0 steals per game and shot .571 for the series (including .519 from behind the arc). I don't see what he could have done better. A great player never beats a great team.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:15 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I would even move Bird down a little. If you take the entire NBA history as a whole, he's not as stellar as some view him in the rose colored glasses of Celtic lore. I know I'll take some heat for that, since anything about Bird is usually sacrilege.
Agreed. He is an all-time great, but people forget that his career was littered with back injuries pretty early (like starting around age 31 if I recall), he didn't enjoy the longevity of a Kobe or Kareem. Heck even Shaq aged better than Bird did, I think.

In fact, and people will think I'm crazy for saying this, but I think you could argue that Dr J should be right up there with Larry Bird. Don't get me wrong, I do think Bird is what I'd like to call "best of the best," (like MJ, Magic, Wilt, Shaq, Kareem, Kobe, LeBron etc), but people are ALWAYS putting him in top 5 and such and you NEVER hear them put Dr J up there, and I think he belongs there just as much as Bird does. He played for, what, 5 years in the ABA, and if you combine his ABA and NBA points then, best as I recall, he comes in somewhere around #5 on the all-time scoring list. Bird, in fact, is somewhere around #20 or so on that list, well outpaced by the likes of Hakeem, Shaq, Dirk and Kobe (and I think LeBron too), yet people are always putting him above any of those and I don't agree.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I also don't get how Lebron gets blamed for the 2014 NBA Finals disaster (at least my friends blame him for it and constantly bring it up as a reason why his career has been a total failure). He averaged 28.2 points, 7.8 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 2.0 steals per game and shot .571 for the series (including .519 from behind the arc). I don't see what he could have done better. A great player never beats a great team.
Yep, I don't hold Lebron going 2 for 6 in the finals against him unless someone is touting that he's made the finals soooo many times....can't have it both ways.

He's made the finals in the weak east many times when he wouldn't have made it past the WCF so do we count the failures of Ducan, Kobe etc. to get out of the WCF some years? Nope. But we shouldn't give huge accolades to making it in the gutted wasteland that is the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball