Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:47 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,143,624 times

Advertisements

As a Spurs fan, I found this funny

MySpace.com - San Antonio SUCKS! - 32 - Male - Planet Orange, Arizona - www.myspace.com/sanantoniosucks

Old 03-24-2009, 04:25 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I agree. Nash is a very good point guard. He makes salary cap max money.

His defensive deficiency is the only thing that I feel make him not one of the best players in the league. (He is easily one of the 2-3 worst players to ever win an MVP award)

What Tony Parker has done to Nash in the playoffs over the past couple years would almost qualify as grounds for divorce if Eva Longorio wanted to file.
yeah tony parker pretty much exploited steve nash's weaknesses during the playoffs the past few years.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:51 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
I almost feel sorry for the suns....starting in the early 90's, you'd think they would have won a championship by now, they've had so many star players.

Early 90's...Barkley, Ainge, Majerle, KJ, Dumas, Chambers, that was an awesome team (ex Oliver Miller). With the right big man, I think they could have won a championship.

Then this new incarnation with Nash, Shaq, Stoudemire, Marion, Barbosa, Bell. These are not junk players. You'd think some combination of these guys would win a championship. Like changing pieces around in a puzzle.

Nash and Barkely, that's 3 MVP's for Phoenix.

Just about all the league mvp's since the 80's and 90's have gone on to win championships. Karl Malone being an exception. And Nowitzki. AI and Lebron.

I wouldnt know what to do with the suns if I was in charge...if you cant win it with barkley, nash, shaq or stoudemire (and bell, marion, diaw), who are you going to win it with?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:13 PM

78,431 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I almost feel sorry for the suns....starting in the early 90's, you'd think they would have won a championship by now, they've had so many star players.

Early 90's...Barkley, Ainge, Majerle, KJ, Dumas, Chambers, that was an awesome team (ex Oliver Miller). With the right big man, I think they could have won a championship.

Then this new incarnation with Nash, Shaq, Stoudemire, Marion, Barbosa, Bell. These are not junk players. You'd think some combination of these guys would win a championship. Like changing pieces around in a puzzle.

Just about all the league mvp's since the 80's and 90's have gone on to win championships. Karl Malone being an exception. And Nowitzki. AI and Lebron.

I wouldnt know what to do with the suns if I was in charge...if you cant win it with barkley, nash, shaq or stoudemire (and bell, marion, diaw), who are you going to win it with?
Well, you just won the game. It was called, spot the over-rated player.
Shaq was well past his prime in Pheonix...Nash is frankly the worst MVP winner of all time....San Antonio just milked him every year like a cow.

Stoudemire and the rest of those guys had inflated stats from run-and-gun score fests and were also over-rated.

The Phx team with Barkley was championship calibre...the just happened to peak the year Jordan wasn't temporarily retired...same thing happened to Malone.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey, Nash is a good guy...he runs the offense well but he is SO bad on defense and that describes pretty much the rest of the Suns sqaud. No D.
Nash made up with some of his defense weakness with on court smarts. He used to get help from Marion and Bell, the 2 best defenders, and of course Kerr got rid of them. Kerr destroyed a really good team, and all we got is old Shaq - a true legend in HIS own mind. Get rid of Shaq AND Kerr. Nash made all those other guys look like all-stars, THATS why he was MVP.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

They need to dump Shaq and his $22 million salary, and maybe pick up draft picks, trade Richardson and get Marion, Bell and Diaw back. Fire Kerr, he destroyed the team.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:50 PM

347 posts, read 650,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
They need to dump Shaq and his $22 million salary, and maybe pick up draft picks, trade Richardson and get Marion, Bell and Diaw back. Fire Kerr, he destroyed the team.
The Suns' 'misfortunes' in recent years is hardly the result of only Kerr's trades and signings. Yes, he has been a pretty lousy GM - the players he's acquired have not meshed well with the team. That, I blame on (a) the team's lack of true identity right now, and (b) simple overreaction to playoff losses.

Instead, I blame most of their woes on one man, and one man only: Suns owner Robert Sarver.

Suns fans: look at your team's bench, and tell me which players are Suns draft picks from 2004 onwards. DJ Strawberry (if he's still around). Alando Tucker. That Dragic guy. Robin Lopez. Louis Amundson. Not exactly an enthralling group of young players, right?

And look at who you could have had. Nate Robinson. Rudy Fernandez. Luol Deng. Rajon Rondo.

It's a pretty simple premise: all teams need to replenish their young talent through the draft process. And the reason isn't simply that all teams need a talent base to work with; it's also because these draft picks tend to have much cheaper contracts than veteran free agents do.

Which leads to the reason why Sarver sold these picks off for cash: he didn't want to pay the luxury tax by going over the salary cap. He was paying Nash, Stoudemire, and Marion a pretty hefty sum already, and he rightly believed that this was the core of the team to build around. However, he also felt that he could build around them by signing 'proven' free agents and such rather than paying for 'unproven' later first round lottery picks (first round picks are all under guaranteed contracts). That was his fatal mistake.

So Suns fans: if your team is paying an absurd amount to that crappy Dragic guy, blame Kerr's and Sarver's overreacting towards getting a backup point guard to the aging Nash. You could have had Rajon Rondo for a much lower price. Hindsight is always 20/20....

Old 06-16-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban analysis therapist View Post
The Suns' 'misfortunes' in recent years is hardly the result of only Kerr's trades and signings. Yes, he has been a pretty lousy GM - the players he's acquired have not meshed well with the team. That, I blame on (a) the team's lack of true identity right now, and (b) simple overreaction to playoff losses.

Instead, I blame most of their woes on one man, and one man only: Suns owner Robert Sarver.

Suns fans: look at your team's bench, and tell me which players are Suns draft picks from 2004 onwards. DJ Strawberry (if he's still around). Alando Tucker. That Dragic guy. Robin Lopez. Louis Amundson. Not exactly an enthralling group of young players, right?

And look at who you could have had. Nate Robinson. Rudy Fernandez. Luol Deng. Rajon Rondo.

It's a pretty simple premise: all teams need to replenish their young talent through the draft process. And the reason isn't simply that all teams need a talent base to work with; it's also because these draft picks tend to have much cheaper contracts than veteran free agents do.

Which leads to the reason why Sarver sold these picks off for cash: he didn't want to pay the luxury tax by going over the salary cap. He was paying Nash, Stoudemire, and Marion a pretty hefty sum already, and he rightly believed that this was the core of the team to build around. However, he also felt that he could build around them by signing 'proven' free agents and such rather than paying for 'unproven' later first round lottery picks (first round picks are all under guaranteed contracts). That was his fatal mistake.

So Suns fans: if your team is paying an absurd amount to that crappy Dragic guy, blame Kerr's and Sarver's overreacting towards getting a backup point guard to the aging Nash. You could have had Rajon Rondo for a much lower price. Hindsight is always 20/20....
Sarver isn't cheap so much as stupid - how else do you describe paying 20 mil to 'slow Shaq'? I blame Sarver more than Kerr. His problems started when he dumped Bryan Colangelo, then D'Antoni. He needs to sell the team.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:25 AM

347 posts, read 650,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Sarver isn't cheap so much as stupid - how else do you describe paying 20 mil to 'slow Shaq'? I blame Sarver more than Kerr. His problems started when he dumped Bryan Colangelo, then D'Antoni. He needs to sell the team.
But he was also paying roughly that much, minus a few million ($20 million vs. $15 million), to Shawn Marion. And Sarver was responsible for neither Shaq's nor Marion's contracts - he just happens to be paying for them.

The Shaq trade was done for one reason, and one reason only: to beat San Antonio by fixing their low-post 'weakness' and overcoming that supposed last hurdle. We all know how that turned out....

See....Sarver may be cheap and stupid, but he also wants a winning team and a championship. Unfortunately, cheap and stupid isn't the way to get that elusive championship. Sarver has let up on the cheap part just a tad, but hasn't let go of the stupid part - with Kerr's 'guidance', he's paying that Dragic guy a ridiculous sum to play Nash's backup. Too bad: he could have had Rajon Rondo for roughly the same price.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban analysis therapist View Post
But he was also paying roughly that much, minus a few million ($20 million vs. $15 million), to Shawn Marion. And Sarver was responsible for neither Shaq's nor Marion's contracts - he just happens to be paying for them.

The Shaq trade was done for one reason, and one reason only: to beat San Antonio by fixing their low-post 'weakness' and overcoming that supposed last hurdle. We all know how that turned out....

See....Sarver may be cheap and stupid, but he also wants a winning team and a championship. Unfortunately, cheap and stupid isn't the way to get that elusive championship. Sarver has let up on the cheap part just a tad, but hasn't let go of the stupid part - with Kerr's 'guidance', he's paying that Dragic guy a ridiculous sum to play Nash's backup. Too bad: he could have had Rajon Rondo for roughly the same price.
5 mil is a lot to Sarver - he let Kurt Thomas go to save 1.5 mil.
Marion was a prima donna but he fit the Suns better than Shaq. He was a better defender and rebounder, and ran. The players that did well on the Suns might not do so good on other teams, so maybe they can put it back together. The Shaq for Wallace trade looks good, except drop the 'Wallace' part. Dragic is tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball