Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 07:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times

Advertisements

I've been mulling over this since I tripped across the facts last week... it's almost as dramatic as finding out that that Bobby is still alive and it was all just a dream... but it seems that more of the total land area of the Big Island is classified by weather experts as being Temperate Climate than is classified as Tropical.

And especially, my beloved Volcano property, which I've always described as being Tropical Rainforest Wonderland, is in fact considered to be in the Temperate Zone, a significant downgrade, poetically speaking. This answers a lot of questions about various problems I have had with my gardening, but raises other questions about how to refer to the natural wonders of my amazing yard and close environs.

Here's the background...

I've long held to the widely espoused view that there are 13 climate zones in the world and that 11 of them can be found on the Big Island. It's been fun twitting the uninformed with the fact that one should avoid the frigid trip up to go snowboarding on Mauna Loa on the same day you go scuba diving in Kona because you could get the bends, like seriously, dude!

But then I came across a local blog which purported to straighten out the record... that there are only 4 of the 5 major climate zones, and 8 of the 13 climate subzones represented on Hawai'i... and asserted quite convincingly that the original claim of 11 was based on confusion about how to properly apply the Koppen climate classification system. Oh, there was no joy in Mudville.

But as I recovered, I began noticing something curious about the map which had been drawn from this realigned information... that the areas classified as being in the Temperate zones were larger in size than those in the Tropical zones! And that both Volcano and Waimea were smack in those Temperate zones.

Here's where you can find that map... The 8 (not 11, 12 or 13 ) climate zones on the Big Island of Hawaii

True, most of the population of the island lives in the Tropical climate, primarily in a narrow band around the coast plus lower Puna, and nobody at all lives in the permanently frozen Tundra atop Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea. But much more of the island is Temperate than I would have guessed.

Surprisingly the Four Seasons Resort and 9 of the 10 most expensive houses in the entire state (according to Honolulu Magazine) are in the Arid and Semi-Arid zones north of Kailua-Kona. All that lush greenery you see is due to heavy irrigation.

So for the record, in case you don't follow the link, here are the 4 major climate zones, and 8 sub-zones (out of 13) that are found on the Big Island of Hawai'i:

A) Humid tropical climate
....1) Continuously wet (includes Hilo)
....2a) Winter-dry (includes Kailua-Kona)
....2b) Summer-dry (includes Pahala)
....3) Monsoon (section of Honokaa coast)
B) Arid and Semi-arid climate
....4) dry semi-arid (steppe) (partly coastal strip from south of Kailua north to about Holana Bay)
....5) dry arid (desert) (north of the Four Seasons)
C) Temperate climate (broad swath around most of the island mauka the Tropical zone)
....6) continuously wet (includes Volcano and Waimea)
... 7a) summer-dry warm (higher elevations, incl much of Saddle Rd and Bradshaw Military Base)
....7b) summer-dry cool (even higher)
D) Tundra climate
.... 8) Tundra - permanently frozen ground surrounding peaks of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea.

So, even though the Big Island is located in the Tropics, and its beaches are primarily Tropical, its overall climate is more Temperate than Tropical. How 'bout them mountain apples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Hopefully this tragic news won't adversely affect the weather in Volcano, and it will remain wet, cold, cloudy and depressing....

Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Well foo on that fellow who downgraded our climate zones. He said he got that number because he changed the climate measurement system used to determine how many of climate zones there are. So we can just continue to use whatever system we were using before where we had more zones and ignore his downgrade.

It's kinda like those folks who measure waves and they decided to change the way they measure waves in Hawaii. Usta be Hawaiian waves were measured from the back where everywhere else on the planet they measured them from the front. So they changed how they measured Hawaii waves and all the three foot waves in Hawaii instantly became six foot waves just by using a different measurement scale. It didn't change the waves any, so whatever method someone uses to measure climate zones isn't gonna change the climate any.

I'll just continue to use the old system and stick with my 10, 11 or 12 climate zones that we had before. Foo on that fellow!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well foo on that fellow who downgraded our climate zones. He said he got that number because he changed the climate measurement system used to determine how many of climate zones there are.
No, the measurement system didn't change. He just eliminated the double-dipping that had been done earlier by people mistakenly saying that an area was in one climate zone in summer, and in another in winter. They were misinterpreting the criteria. He just realigned the data with the way everybody else on the planet measures it.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM

130 posts, read 234,346 times
Considering that the coldest places on Big Island are only zone 9 by the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map it doesn't sound too serious...

USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map#

Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerluli View Post
Considering that the coldest places on Big Island are only zone 9 by the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map it doesn't sound too serious...
It's not too serious, and neither am I.

Notice, however, that the color scale on that map runs out before it gets to the peaks of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, where the ground is permanently frozen (tundra).

Mostly what this realignment and mapping of the climate zones does for me is to help explain why certain things are and aren't grown in certain areas. Altitude is part of it... half of the entire island is above 2,000' altitude, and there are many tropical varieties which just won't prosper that high. Rainfall is part of it... very high in some areas, very low in others. And temperature range is definitely part of it. But seeing the combined effect projected as Temperate Zone vs Tropical finally clears up some mysteries for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island