Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 02:55 AM

60 posts, read 63,459 times

Advertisements

Hey, I used to rent a house from Ardie Harms!! She was so cheap, I remember the rumor was that she killed two of her carpenters for ripping her off for just one dollar. The headline in the Hilo Tribune read "Ardie Chokes Two For A Dollar".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 02:52 PM

112 posts, read 96,666 times
Default More and more building in Miloli'i

We live in Ocean View and do quite a bit of scuba diving around Miloli'i. The area has seen quite a bit of construction lately. It always seems to have two or three lots buzzing with construction activity.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:10 PM

128 posts, read 264,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeckSpawn View Post
Wondering if the OP ever made it to the BI. Moved out here with my GF and we're loving it. Even got her Mom out from Alabama 6 months ago and she's loving it too.

Found 3 acres in Fern Forest Vacation Estates(FFVE, or "Fern Forest"), on pavement, at about 2200' elevation. Off grid with 500w solar array(which regularly puts out over 600w), 10 golf cart batteries, and getting 150-300 amp hours per day. Enough for the fridge and freezer, wifi, and computers. Solar lights (motion sensor) with magnets glued to the back work great for lighting. Soak up sun outside during the day and stick them on the walls of the container at night. 300gal IBC tote for a catchment with another 230gal one for supply on top of the container. Outdoor shower works great.

I have a 5 chickens in the pen, a couple dozen apple bananas and about 70 white pineapples in the ground. Watermelons are struggling, but the tomatoes are growing like crazy. Scored some unused trusses for a song and I'm taking them apart for lumber to build a 600 sq. ft. "ag buiilding". Still tenting after 9 months, so a roof is desired.

Loving Hawaii life...

Aloha everyone! It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. This is gonna be a long one (posting is 2 locations). I just wanted to give everyone an update on our progress. Well we are still currently on the mainland. Las Vegas to be exact. Although we planned on being on the Big Island already. A lot has happened in 2019. We had 3 deaths in the family. My fiancés Father passed away, my Uncle who was like a Father to me and my Grandmother who raised me, all passed away within a few months of each other. Needless to say, 2019 was the worst year on record by far. We moved back to Las Vegas from Seattle, Washington about 7 months ago when my Grandmother got sick. Although we ran into financial hardship by leaving our high paying jobs and moving back to Las Vegas, I do not regret it one bit as I got to spend the last month of my Grandmothers life near her by her side. That being said, I took some time off of work as well, and as you can imagine, our saving got depleted fast.

However, we are not discouraged by any means. It’s 2020 and this year is going to be our year! We were always a little hesitant making the move before, being so far away from my grandmother and my fiancés father as their health was not so great. As much as it saddens me to say, they are peacefully resting and it’s now time to make our move. We hope to be on the Island sometime between August and October of this year with our two small dogs. We have a home here in Las Vegas that we currently have rented out. Our tenants lease is up in August and we plan to sell and use the profits towards our Big Island home. We will most likely start off in an apartment or some kind of a rental for the first 6 months to a year. However, we are not 100% sure where we will end up. Yes, we own a 10,000 sqft lot in Milolii and we love the location and would love to build a tiny house there, with ocean views, legally, with permits and all. We would also love to go off-grid on the wet side of the island, on a 2 to 3 acre plot of plant maybe somewhere around Hawaiian Acres Estates, Build something small, unpermitted and hidden to save money and start our own food forest. We’ve talked to a few people and follow people who currently live the off-grid lifestyle on the Big Island and love it. It’s been the biggest debate. We have a lot of our friends who live in the Kona area so we would be a lot closer to them in Milolii. However, we will be limited on funds over $50K with us when we move. Unfortunately, I can’t build unpermitted in Milolii as nothing there is hidden. And stamped plans and permits cost money. Now, if we build on the wet side of the island, we could save a lot more money being hidden and not having to worry about permit costs. If we did go this route, we would also sell our Milolii plot and use that money towards our off-grid build.

Ultimately, Milolii would be our first choice and this is a location that we already own and love, and we would be a lot closer to our friends. However, the cost is a huge factor for us. I currently work for Safeway Inc. As we get closer to our move date, I will see if I can potentially get a transfer to one of the Safeway’s on the Island and that could potentially determine which side of the island we’d end up on. However, if a transfer is not available, we will most likely make the move and stay with a friend for a couple of weeks in the Kona area until we find out where we can find work, and then make our move from there. We have faith that everything will work out the way it supposed to. Please, any and all advise is always greatly appreciated.

What have you done to make the move?

What would you have done different?

Who did you use the transfer your vehicle and how long and how much did it cost?

Which Veterinarian did you use for Rapid Release at the Airport and what was the cost?

Is it feasible to build any type of structure at this time considering our budget, versus, purchasing a new plot of land elsewhere, and remain renting, and letting it appreciate for consideration of sale for a profit in the future, instead? Location Location Location!

What are things we should bring with us?

Etc, etc, etc……

Mahalo all!!! I look forward to your replies

Old 01-20-2020, 11:22 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjmontijo View Post
Aloha everyone! It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. This is gonna be a long one (posting is 2 locations). I just wanted to give everyone an update on our progress. Well we are still currently on the mainland. Las Vegas to be exact. Although we planned on being on the Big Island already. A lot has happened in 2019. We had 3 deaths in the family. My fiancés Father passed away, my Uncle who was like a Father to me and my Grandmother who raised me, all passed away within a few months of each other. Needless to say, 2019 was the worst year on record by far. We moved back to Las Vegas from Seattle, Washington about 7 months ago when my Grandmother got sick. Although we ran into financial hardship by leaving our high paying jobs and moving back to Las Vegas, I do not regret it one bit as I got to spend the last month of my Grandmothers life near her by her side. That being said, I took some time off of work as well, and as you can imagine, our saving got depleted fast.

However, we are not discouraged by any means. It’s 2020 and this year is going to be our year! We were always a little hesitant making the move before, being so far away from my grandmother and my fiancés father as their health was not so great. As much as it saddens me to say, they are peacefully resting and it’s now time to make our move. We hope to be on the Island sometime between August and October of this year with our two small dogs. We have a home here in Las Vegas that we currently have rented out. Our tenants lease is up in August and we plan to sell and use the profits towards our Big Island home. We will most likely start off in an apartment or some kind of a rental for the first 6 months to a year. However, we are not 100% sure where we will end up. Yes, we own a 10,000 sqft lot in Milolii and we love the location and would love to build a tiny house there, with ocean views, legally, with permits and all. We would also love to go off-grid on the wet side of the island, on a 2 to 3 acre plot of plant maybe somewhere around Hawaiian Acres Estates, Build something small, unpermitted and hidden to save money and start our own food forest. We’ve talked to a few people and follow people who currently live the off-grid lifestyle on the Big Island and love it. It’s been the biggest debate. We have a lot of our friends who live in the Kona area so we would be a lot closer to them in Milolii. However, we will be limited on funds over $50K with us when we move. Unfortunately, I can’t build unpermitted in Milolii as nothing there is hidden. And stamped plans and permits cost money. Now, if we build on the wet side of the island, we could save a lot more money being hidden and not having to worry about permit costs. If we did go this route, we would also sell our Milolii plot and use that money towards our off-grid build.

Ultimately, Milolii would be our first choice and this is a location that we already own and love, and we would be a lot closer to our friends. However, the cost is a huge factor for us. I currently work for Safeway Inc. As we get closer to our move date, I will see if I can potentially get a transfer to one of the Safeway’s on the Island and that could potentially determine which side of the island we’d end up on. However, if a transfer is not available, we will most likely make the move and stay with a friend for a couple of weeks in the Kona area until we find out where we can find work, and then make our move from there. We have faith that everything will work out the way it supposed to. Please, any and all advise is always greatly appreciated.

What have you done to make the move?

What would you have done different?

Who did you use the transfer your vehicle and how long and how much did it cost?

Which Veterinarian did you use for Rapid Release at the Airport and what was the cost?

Is it feasible to build any type of structure at this time considering our budget, versus, purchasing a new plot of land elsewhere, and remain renting, and letting it appreciate for consideration of sale for a profit in the future, instead? Location Location Location!

Etc, etc, etc……

IMHO, by far the best option for you is to stay on the mainland, have a career, save up your nest egg until you have $500K or so in the bank, and move after you retire. I am sure this is NOT what you want to hear, and others may think it is bad advice, but I have to be honest. I think you would be throwing your future away in order to play frontiersman for a few years, if you followed your plan.

Aloha

Old 01-20-2020, 12:58 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Quote:
<SNIP>My fiancés Father passed away, my Uncle who was like a Father to me and my Grandmother who raised me, all passed away within a few months of each other.<SNIP>
Very sad to hear, sorry for your loss - but at least you were able to be with them before they left so that was a good thing.

Quote:
That being said, I took some time off of work as well, and as you can imagine, our saving got depleted fast.
However, we are not discouraged by any means. It’s 2020 and this year is going to be our year! We were always a little hesitant making the move before, being so far away from my grandmother and my fiancés father as their health was not so great. As much as it saddens me to say, they are peacefully resting and it’s now time to make our move.
Since one of your main reasons for not moving is no longer applicable, now may be the time to relocate, although with changed economic circumstances, the plan will have to change to match.

Quote:
We hope to be on the Island sometime between August and October of this year with our two small dogs. We have a home here in Las Vegas that we currently have rented out. Our tenants lease is up in August and we plan to sell and use the profits towards our Big Island home.
You may be able to sell it with the tenants in place, ask a local Realtor. The new buyer may want a rental and /or the buyer may not want to immediately move and having tenants there would be good for them. No telling what a buyer may want, but waiting until August means you'll miss the summer sales.

Quote:
We will most likely start off in an apartment or some kind of a rental for the first 6 months to a year. However, we are not 100% sure where we will end up. Yes, we own a 10,000 sqft lot in Milolii and we love the location and would love to build a tiny house there, with ocean views, legally, with permits and all.
Since you've already started in this direction, you own the lot, you have friends nearby and your resource base is now lessened, it might make more sense to continue in this direction since you're already started in this direction and usually changes in direction cost more.

Quote:
We would also love to go off-grid on the wet side of the island, on a 2 to 3 acre plot of plant maybe somewhere around Hawaiian Acres Estates, Build something small, unpermitted and hidden to save money and start our own food forest. We’ve talked to a few people and follow people who currently live the off-grid lifestyle on the Big Island and love it. It’s been the biggest debate.
No, no, no! The unpermitted buildings are a thing of the past, they are now being hunted down and they can't hide anymore. Do you really want to invest in a building with very little to no resale value and live a life where any neighbor who makes a complaint can have your house torn down?

'Off grid' is totally different than 'unpermitted'. Be off grid all you want, that's almost inevitable in most rural areas on this island (and most of this island is rural), but do yourself a huge favor and get a permit for whatever you build. You really don't want to build something that can be fined or required to be removed by one complaint.

Quote:
We have a lot of our friends who live in the Kona area so we would be a lot closer to them in Milolii. However, we will be limited on funds over $50K with us when we move. Unfortunately, I can’t build unpermitted in Milolii as nothing there is hidden. And stamped plans and permits cost money. Now, if we build on the wet side of the island, we could save a lot more money being hidden and not having to worry about permit costs. If we did go this route, we would also sell our Milolii plot and use that money towards our off-grid build.
A stamp on plans and the permits for a small house should be less than $2,500. Which is more or less chump change when building a house. There's also some small houses that can be permitted without an engineer's or architect's stamp. They're one story, on slab, less than - I forget the exact square footage at this moment - but the details are on the County of Hawaii's building permit website. That would save the $600 - $1,600 for an engineer's or architect's stamp. A small 'efficiency dwelling' to start which could later be turned into a guest house might be the way to go.

Quote:
Employment is always good! Can you ask for the transfer now with the move time set for when you want to relocate? That will let you make more plans. There's not a lot of employment near Milolii that I know of, but I'm entirely on the other side of the island.

<SNIP>
Quote:
Raw land doesn't appreciate all that much and Milolii lots aren't expensive enough to make that much of a difference even if the price does double in a decade. Also, if it was bought just lately, IMHO, it feels pretty close to the top of the market so you'd have to wait through the next downturn and then back up again to reach the same price let alone much appreciation. But, nothing is certain with real estate prices.

Quote:
Etc, etc, etc……
Hmm, the best things to bring would be no debt load and some sort of employment if you can. Otherwise, there's loads of household goods here via yard sales, thrift shops, etc. No need to pay to bring over stuff that's already here. Also, houses here - especially if you're going to build a tiny house- aren't as big as the mainland ones so you need less stuff. Bring small things that make you happy, ditch everything with bad memories attached.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:57 PM

128 posts, read 264,675 times
Aloha! again. As always, Thank you Hotzcatz for the great advice. We are actually leaning more towards the Milolii property. But I do still have a few questions.

A person that I've followed online and that I've spoken with a few times who lives on this Hilo (Hawaiian Acres) side said there is nothing to worry about. Him and his wife live on in a 40-foot shipping container that they converted into their off-grid home. They saved a lot of money with not having to permit and they use a composting toilet which also allowed them the forgo the septic tank costs. The property has a "no trespassing, private property" sign at the entrance. He stated there is no reason to worry about the drones and satellites. If a drone or satellite was to see a building on ones property, they can simply state that the building is a storage shed as long as the footprint is under 600 square feet.

I have a friend who lives out in Kalapana who said that when he told the county that his home was a glorified dog kennel, and they left him alone! and I spoken with a few other who just built unpermitted within the last year or two with no issues.

Just trying to get a little more insight on this as I'm getting half the people I talk to saying unpermitted is a bad idea and other who are saying they wouldn't have done it any other way. They say unpermitted allowed them to save money and do things they way they wanted them done. I was told that the building code requires you to overbuild the home with more than what is necessary, therefore accruing more unnecessary costs.

What are your thought? anyone else have experience with unpermitted and off-grid living (Yes I am aware they are not the same thing)

Mahalo for all the advice!

Old 01-23-2020, 02:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
The biggest issues with unpermitted structures come down to: A neighbor turns you in or the County finds out you have an unpermitted home and the problems start. And, you can't get bank financing.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:53 PM

A friend built a shed up in Royal Hawaiian Estates and he went up there one day to find an inspector who wanted to see his shed. There had been a complaint from the neighbors that he was living in the shed. When the inspector saw the interior of the shed and it was obviously a shed and not a dwelling, that was the end of that. He built the shed several years ago, so it can take awhile before any complaints are made or inspectors show up.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:47 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The biggest issues with unpermitted structures come down to: A neighbor turns you in or the County finds out you have an unpermitted home and the problems start. And, you can't get bank financing.
That, and the entire mindset of lawlessness. It's time for them folks to grow up, man up and understand it takes money to live, and to stop trying to get by on the cheap. It is a disgusting attitude. Get the means, the wherewithal, and then do it right. If money is a problem, don't engage until it isn't a problem.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
That, and the entire mindset of lawlessness. It's time for them folks to grow up, man up and understand it takes money to live, and to stop trying to get by on the cheap. It is a disgusting attitude. Get the means, the wherewithal, and then do it right. If money is a problem, don't engage until it isn't a problem.
Well, a mindset of lawlessness is no good, but sometimes folks have to try to live cheap in order to get anywhere. There's a lot of folks who live in a tent for a few months to a year (which still isn't technically legal but is less illegal than no permit for building) while getting their first small house built. Many, if not most, of them have permits to build the house so once the house is done, they're no longer living illegally.

Used to be, the first thing would be a driveway. Then a cesspool - back when cesspools were allowed. Then a toilet would be placed on the top of the cesspool with a couple walls around it. That would be the toilet until the building was finished. It would also provide a bit of roof to catch water. It could take a year to finish the house since folks wouldn't have enough money for the entire thing at the beginning. BUT! By living 'sub-standard' and building their own house, their net worth would increase considerable and they don't have to pay rent while building. They can also keep the construction materials from walking off while they aren't on site.

Sometimes that little extra 'being cheap' allows folks to do something that will pay off at the end and upgrade their life a lot. If you build your own house paying cash, that can avoid the entire mortgage morass. Grow enough food on it to make the taxes be 'agriculture' instead of 'residential' and that will lower things by a hundred or so dollars a month. Catchment systems mean no water bills. Solar electric means no electric bills, although there are occasional maintenance expenses.

The general issue I have with many folks who have the attitude of "living cheap" is sometimes they forget to do it with style. Living well while being very inexpensive can be quite different than living cheap. Since most if not all 'living cheap' involves small houses, then the small houses can be built nicely instead of as an echoing barn. As a homeowner, they don't have to pay someone by the hour to build, so they can build in cabinets, router the edges of door frames, even build a sash window if they want. All those are craftsman type details and most folks using a contractor can't afford to have them because of the amount of time involved to create them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island