Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 03:19 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
FWIW, wouldn't liberals be the ones who want to run off and live in the woods with no permits? Although what one's political preferences have to do with one's choices in housing, I dunno.
His statement definitely didn't make a lot of sense to me because I have known many on both sides that would like to live out in the woods and be left alone!

One thing I have noticed as of late is that those who claim to be "Conservatives" are often not very conservative and those who claim to be "Liberals" often are not very liberal.

So, who knows.

Politics for a long time has just been a big silly ole game to keep us divided, keep bringing in TONS of money to the two parties and line the pockets of all the crooks!
But, that's just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 04:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:

FWIW, wouldn't liberals be the ones who want to run off and live in the woods with no permits? .
Definitely not. Liberals (Democrat’s) like big government, rules, regulations - the more rules and permits the better. Love government aid. High taxes. Think San Francisco, Chicago, NY, Honolulu.

Conservatives (Republicans) hate practically any regulation - no permits, no such thing as global warming, no clean air act, drill for oil wherever. Think rural areas.

On the BI - they hate the rules but also love the food stamps, Medicaid, etc. They are conflicted. Push comes to shove - they’ll never give up government aid if they don’t have to do so.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:06 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Liberals (Democrat’s) like big government, rules, regulations - the more rules and permits the better. Love government aid. High taxes.

Conservatives (Republicans) hate practically any regulation - no permits, no such thing as global warming, no clean air act, drill for oil wherever. Think rural areas.
There sure are a lot of folks living in their RVs, vans, trucks and cars these days, traveling around, camping on BLM land or in a Walmart or Cracker Barrel parking lot, making YouTube videos and many of those have "Liberal" bumper stickers on their vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I would bet that most of those "Conservatives" who are against practically any regulation would throw a fit if one of them van dwellers bought a lot next to theirs, didn't get a permit and built a tiny house!

Old 01-30-2020, 11:34 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
True, although in Alaska, you kinda have to build things that are valid or Alaska will eat you. Well, the Alaskan bears and weather will eat you, but that's pretty much the same thing. If one built a Hawaiian style grass shack (which you can still build in Hawaii since there's a way to get a permit for them) in Alaska, then even the moose could eat you.

My neighbors lived in a massive geodesic-some house that had been covered in expandable foam and then painted. Were definitely saw some interesting houses growing up in Alaska.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:08 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Open D is at a loss for why Puna attracts minimalists?
Well duh, it's because real estate prices are low.
I agree with Hotzcatz about the unfortunate tendency for many to cop out with a boring kit home. Again, probably because they figure it's cheapest way to go.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:41 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Maybe I should draw up a few inexpensive small houses that can be built by homeowners in Puna. Then they can build prettier things for us to look at. Houses last quite awhile, whether they are pretty or ugly so it would be nice to have pretty ones around. It costs just about the same to build a pretty one as an ugly one, too. Plus, you can sell pretty ones for more money later.

Some of HPM's current kit homes aren't too bad, much better than they used to be. Actually, there's now a lot more pretty options in the available kit homes. They used to be pretty boring square boxes, but now they're a little better.

Hicks Homes did pretty well for building inexpensive houses that looked pretty nice. They were pretty solid for their type of construction.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:49 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Open D is at a loss for why Puna attracts minimalists?
Well duh, it's because real estate prices are low.
I agree with Hotzcatz about the unfortunate tendency for many to cop out with a boring kit home. Again, probably because they figure it's cheapest way to go.

No he doesn't. He just doesn't think it should be encouraged. Rather, it should be discouraged at every turn. Perhaps they would be better served in a thriving community such as Quartzite, AZ.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:26 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
No he doesn't. He just doesn't think it should be encouraged. Rather, it should be discouraged at every turn. Perhaps they would be better served in a thriving community such as Quartzite, AZ.
Meant to say "No he isn't..."

Old 02-05-2020, 03:14 PM

112 posts, read 96,666 times
I am doubting that most of the "off-grid", non-permitted, folks in Ocean View are voting Conservative.

If so, the bumper stickers on their cars weren't put on by them (also entirely possible)

Old 02-08-2020, 06:11 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I don't think anyone should be discouraged from going off grid and tiny anywhere in the country. What do you like about Quartzite? I haven't looked into this place.
Btw, the discouragement message doesn't appear to be "resonating" in Puna.
A friend recently told me that census data indicates 90% of homes in his Puna subdivision are unpermitted. I would not encourage anyone to avoid a building permit at this time but...safe to say most of those places are off grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island