Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,678 times

Advertisements

Honeybaked Ham. And Jimmy Johns has just expanded and added more stores. I think I heard that Baguette just closed as did a Quiznos on University drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 6,924 times
Best hot pastrami sandwiches ever!

Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 PM

229 posts, read 707,193 times
No Jewish delis, and I don't foresee one opening up with the lack of Orthodox Jews in town. A synagogue has a Deli Days festival every June but I've found it to be rather weak and quite pricey to boot.

The Baguette Deli on 8th Street closed, but the original on Franklin remains. I was pretty surprised by this. The one on 8th Street was a little pricier given its location, but it was still a cheap option in an area where things aren't so cheap.

I've completely forgotten about patronizing Honeybaked! The one I would go to was a constant lunchtime madhouse being near the Warner Bros. lot, Disney Channel offices, and other media outlets. Yet the sandwich quality remained consistently solid. I need my ham fix too. Nevertheless these wouldn't be regular visits. I'm happy with Giuseppes and Baguette being my standards with an occasional foray into Deli George for their pastrami.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,497,317 times
Used to love Hugo's. Haven't been in ages but they used to have some sort of beef with horseradish that was delish. The location I went closed, not sure which ones are left.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:46 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,365,147 times
My new favorite place in town for an excellent gourmet sandwich is Bleubird in downtown. The Boise Coop makes really good sandwiches too, a little on the pricy side but well worth the extra few dollars.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,544,686 times
Default Any Pasty shops in town?

As I've heard the pronunciation explained from somewhere...

It's Pasty that rhymes with Nasty which it aint,
Not Pasty that rhymes with Tasty which it is!

Basically meat, potato with a little veg baked in a crust shaped like an apple turnover.
Very common in the Great Lakes area (especially the Upper Peninsula of Michigan) as an alternative to sandwiches as a take away food, served hot usually served plain or with ketchup... sometimes people put gravy on it if it's served at a table but some folks are like about the gravy!

Also common to make at home, it's just a bit of a project. But once they're made you can freeze them!
I'm about to make a big bunch of them today!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Get 'em quick. The opened 4 of them here in the Seattle area, all gone out of business now.
They didn't have Linguica like in the SF Bay Area but were still great while they lasted.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,902,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
As I've heard the pronunciation explained from somewhere...

It's Pasty that rhymes with Nasty which it aint,
Not Pasty that rhymes with Tasty which it is!

Basically meat, potato with a little veg baked in a crust shaped like an apple turnover.
Very common in the Great Lakes area (especially the Upper Peninsula of Michigan) as an alternative to sandwiches as a take away food, served hot usually served plain or with ketchup... sometimes people put gravy on it if it's served at a table but some folks are like about the gravy!

Also common to make at home, it's just a bit of a project. But once they're made you can freeze them!
I'm about to make a big bunch of them today!
We had a place similar to this a few years or so ago, but it was replaced with a Baugettes Deli.
There is a small restaurant called Tango's Empanadas from Argentina which are served in crust shaped turnovers.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,544,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
We had a place similar to this a few years or so ago, but it was replaced with a Baugettes Deli.
There is a small restaurant called Tango's Empanadas from Argentina which are served in crust shaped turnovers.
Oh yeah, I'm familiar with empanadas. A Latin American version in a way but different. We have a favorite Peruvian restaurant that make yummy ones as appetizers. They are usually smaller, and spicier. Very tasty!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM

623 posts, read 1,613,127 times
You are all making me very hungry! And ramenfan, you really know your food locally. I am always so impressed by your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area