Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 AM

306 posts, read 1,248,102 times

Advertisements

I've been a telecommuter for 4 years! It's great.
The company I work for is back east. I work from home and very occassionally travel for business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:59 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,143 times
Hey CrownVic,

Let me see if I can find a headhunter for you. I would google some of the major employers on that list I put on this thread and see if they have any job openings in your field. I know Idaho Power is great to work with and they're on that list. See if you can set up any interviews with them. Maybe they will see you even if there isn't a job opening- just a get to know you kind of interview. I'll get back to you. When you come, if you want, I can take you around and show you the city so you can get a feel for the different areas. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you my contact information.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyTD View Post
I've been a telecommuter for 4 years! It's great.
The company I work for is back east. I work from home and very occassionally travel for business.
I would love to telecommute and have thought about it many times, but have never run across a "real" opportunity to do it. There's lots of scams out there that sound too good to be true and are - I'm sure you know what I mean.

How did you find your gig?

And thank you, too, micrguy, for the suggestion.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:33 PM

14 posts, read 53,018 times
I think Micrguy makes a good point. Most jobs may not be advertised. It is surprising that with low unemployment, one would expect most jobs to be advertised. This may also explain why some have and easier time than others in finding a job, they have and/or use their network better.

I have also noticed that most companies promote from within, and typically hire temps initially to see if someone 'fits'. Probably not the most desirable way to start out, but something to consider. While in college I started working for Micron as a temp one summer, and was hired on later based on that past experience.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:14 PM

81 posts, read 398,489 times
Sigh...well...with only a few more months before we HAVE to move...I still haven't been able to find even one job in Boise. :/ When I looked up Hot Jobs and Monster, it brought up only ONE Data Entry/Accounts Payable job...and that was only part time.

It really isn't looking good for office work there. :/ I may need to find a job search agency...if they even exist in Boise.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:32 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,471 times
More than likely you will not find a job off of the internet in Boise. There are a lot of jobs available in Boise, but they are never advertised. Most are filled by word of mouth. A lot of companies would rather look at 2-3 resumes that were passed on to them by people they know than to have to sift through 40-50 resumes you get when you post on an internet job site. You have to let everyone that you know in Boise that you are looking for a job and give them your resume to pass around. That's how I found my job.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
Sigh...well...with only a few more months before we HAVE to move...I still haven't been able to find even one job in Boise. :/ When I looked up Hot Jobs and Monster, it brought up only ONE Data Entry/Accounts Payable job...and that was only part time.

It really isn't looking good for office work there. :/ I may need to find a job search agency...if they even exist in Boise.
Yes, they exist, but the picture is still not encouraging from where I sit.

I was up there to visit a few days ago and talked to the Boise Accountemps office. They are an agency I've done a lot of past work for here in the Bay area. The person I talked to said that as recently as six months ago 90% of their job orders were coming from the construction industry and we all know that has gone bust. So business has dropped off considerably, and I was told that what's left is mainly concentrated in the medical field. Not good news for me as I will not work in that industry. I have a principally based objection to the way they take advantage of people - primarily women - and prey on their fears.

Overall I was impressed with what I saw up there, but it seemed clear that many people were working retail and restaurant jobs that they were overqualified for. You sure don't see much of that here - more likely the other way around.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
More than likely you will not find a job off of the internet in Boise. There are a lot of jobs available in Boise, but they are never advertised. Most are filled by word of mouth. A lot of companies would rather look at 2-3 resumes that were passed on to them by people they know than to have to sift through 40-50 resumes you get when you post on an internet job site. You have to let everyone that you know in Boise that you are looking for a job and give them your resume to pass around. That's how I found my job.
I appreciate what you're saying, but essentially that means that you must first pack up and move there without a job, then hope for the best. Pretty scary scenario as you could easily end up under a cardboard box if you don't have anybody already established there that you can stay with.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:38 PM

14 posts, read 100,950 times
GhostPoet:

As a non native living in Idaho, I have been in your spot. Yes, it really is as bleak as it looks here. I come from a state (not in the South) where unions are the norm and benefits for employees are not considered taboo. Idaho is quite an adjustment. If you have a choice, I would suggest you stay where you live now. The grass never is greener on the other side.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:05 PM

81 posts, read 398,489 times
Well dang...don't know what to do then...can't stay in washington, the cost of living is insane...need to find some cheap houses in a decent state...hum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area