Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 08:28 AM

492 posts, read 235,230 times

Advertisements

We have zero cases in Idaho so far of Corona Virus. We have hysteria with toilet paper and food bought up and hoarded. It's amazing , folks walking around with masks and gloves at the local Winco. Entire aisles of food gone. Folks are scared by listening to the media. 80% have mild symptoms yet folks are hoarding like the bubonic plague has arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 09:25 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,161,559 times
Better safe than sorry, I guess.

I haven't taken any precautions yet, but I am trying to be aware of touching my face when I'm out amongst strangers.

I always have enough food and supplies for a couple of weeks, so if/when it does hit Idaho I'll probably stay indoors as much as possible.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:08 AM

5,588 posts, read 5,031,528 times
https://www.facebook.com/janellewang...&__tn__=EEHH-R

Old 03-13-2020, 10:09 AM

122 posts, read 225,412 times
Default Blown Out Of Proportion:

Where was the media in 2009 pushing the Swine Flu pandemic???

Per Wikipedia:
As of mid-March 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that about 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus, 265,000 were hospitalized as a result, and 12,000 died.[117] [118]

You’d think by the nonstop media hysteria that the Coronavirus is the “apocalypse vector” trying to eradicate all human life on earth!

Old 03-13-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGHTONSC View Post
Where was the media in 2009 pushing the Swine Flu pandemic???

Per Wikipedia:
As of mid-March 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that about 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus, 265,000 were hospitalized as a result, and 12,000 died.[117] [118]

You’d think by the nonstop media hysteria that the Coronavirus is the “apocalypse vector” trying to eradicate all human life on earth!
It would seem that the media is blowing this out of per portion?
Or causing the panic?

What kind of event then would it take to wipe out this topic on the news media?
A nuclear explosion/strike?

Old 03-13-2020, 10:11 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,766,117 times
One of the smartest moves with some States is they are closing schools for several weeks. It is so very well known that each year the majority of infection comes to families due to their attendance of schools and parents that continue to send their sick kids to school infecting the masses. It could potentially put a bump in the spread of this virus so not a bad thing. The now highly mentioned ways of avoiding infections is something I've been doing for years now. Like grabbing door handles to open doors when out and about. I use a sleeve or other ways to get them open not holding them with my hands. I carry wet wipes to clean my hands if I've been out and about touching things. I wear a plastic throw away glove when filling up with gas and more. So far so good. It's just common sense but most people haven't been paying attention. I wish more businesses of all types would move toward auto opening doors and away from those that thousands of who know's what people grab to open. I also wish mommies would NOT shop with sick kids coughing and wheezing at the stores.....especially grocery stores in the veggie and fruit sections where it gets onto food.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
One of the smartest moves with some States is they are closing schools for several weeks. It is so very well known that each year the majority of infection comes to families due to their attendance of schools and parents that continue to send their sick kids to school infecting the masses. It could potentially put a bump in the spread of this virus so not a bad thing. The now highly mentioned ways of avoiding infections is something I've been doing for years now. Like grabbing door handles to open doors when out and about. I use a sleeve or other ways to get them open not holding them with my hands. I carry wet wipes to clean my hands if I've been out and about touching things. I wear a plastic throw away glove when filling up with gas and more. So far so good. It's just common sense but most people haven't been paying attention. I wish more businesses of all types would move toward auto opening doors and away from those that thousands of who know's what people grab to open. I also wish mommies would NOT shop with sick kids coughing and wheezing at the stores.....especially grocery stores in the veggie and fruit sections where it gets onto food.
Here special attention to avoid Wal-Marts.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...tion-debunked/

Last edited by nowhereman427; 03-13-2020 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-13-2020, 11:26 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,478,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGHTONSC View Post
Per Wikipedia:
The mortality rate of swine flu was .02%. The currently mortality rate of coronavirus is running over 3.5% from current reports. This has well over 100 times higher mortality rate. Where it will actually end up is hard to say, but it is safe to say it is much, much more deadly than swine flu.

So this is quite a different situation. The bad way to handle this is like Italy: Italy has now closed all shops/stores except for food and pharmacies. They did not take this seriously soon enough and are now under what is essentially a 24 hour a day curfew, that will probably last 2 weeks or so. And their mortality rate so far is running about double the world average for the large outbreaks.

South Korea reacted very quickly and very decisively; their new case rate has dropped. China had to react severely and now has dropped their new case rate.

All this is standard practice to contain human-to-human disease spread. As the situation in Italy shows, and as the situation in China showed, if you don't step in decisively, this can readily get out of control. And the strategy of reducing human-to-human contact buys time for:
  • New vaccines
  • Spring/summer weather to hopefully attack tis virus and reduce it as for most viruses
  • Maybe the virus mutates to a weaker form and that gives folks immunity to the more virulent form (I read something 2 days ago, reported from China, that this may have already happened.)
  • We develop better personal strategies to reduce the likelihood of getting it, and coincidentally reduce the spread.

As far as the reaction of the everyday citizens: Like most unexpected/threatening matters, human nature takes hold and the reactions are all over the map. Some go overboard, some pretend it is a non-issue. And while most arrive at the same general conclusion, they arrive there in differing amounts of times. So we're in the phase where we are all trying to figure this out.

It is going to reach ID. I am western VA, and 1-2 cases have just showed up in the last day. So the odds are somewhere approaching 100% that it is going to come to your neighborhood. With Boise State there (lots of student travel in and out of the area), it just makes it even more likely to come sooner than later.

LeeHoLee is thinking about his/her strategy to deal with this. Sounds like a good idea.....

Old 03-13-2020, 12:05 PM

289 posts, read 312,487 times
I see people taking pictures of empty shelves so they can post it on social media (because how can we resist?!) which then causes more unnecessary panic.

We might want to figure out how to cope with this because it isn't the last virus outbreak we'll ever see. It's going to be a long, bumpy ride if we bring society to a halt every time one surfaces.

Are we gonna rely on manufactured vaccines to continue battling viruses? We might mutate more than the virus!

Old 03-13-2020, 12:38 PM

492 posts, read 235,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
The mortality rate of swine flu was .02%. The currently mortality rate of coronavirus is running over 3.5% from current reports. This has well over 100 times higher mortality rate. Where it will actually end up is hard to say, but it is safe to say it is much, much more deadly than swine flu.

So this is quite a different situation. The bad way to handle this is like Italy: Italy has now closed all shops/stores except for food and pharmacies. They did not take this seriously soon enough and are now under what is essentially a 24 hour a day curfew, that will probably last 2 weeks or so. And their mortality rate so far is running about double the world average for the large outbreaks.

South Korea reacted very quickly and very decisively; their new case rate has dropped. China had to react severely and now has dropped their new case rate.

All this is standard practice to contain human-to-human disease spread. As the situation in Italy shows, and as the situation in China showed, if you don't step in decisively, this can readily get out of control. And the strategy of reducing human-to-human contact buys time for:
  • New vaccines
  • Spring/summer weather to hopefully attack tis virus and reduce it as for most viruses
  • Maybe the virus mutates to a weaker form and that gives folks immunity to the more virulent form (I read something 2 days ago, reported from China, that this may have already happened.)
  • We develop better personal strategies to reduce the likelihood of getting it, and coincidentally reduce the spread.

As far as the reaction of the everyday citizens: Like most unexpected/threatening matters, human nature takes hold and the reactions are all over the map. Some go overboard, some pretend it is a non-issue. And while most arrive at the same general conclusion, they arrive there in differing amounts of times. So we're in the phase where we are all trying to figure this out.

It is going to reach ID. I am western VA, and 1-2 cases have just showed up in the last day. So the odds are somewhere approaching 100% that it is going to come to your neighborhood. With Boise State there (lots of student travel in and out of the area), it just makes it even more likely to come sooner than later.

LeeHoLee is thinking about his/her strategy to deal with this. Sounds like a good idea.....

It's Baloney. 80% have little to no symptoms. Some don't even know they have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area