Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 01:07 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,478,193 times

Advertisements

For those who want to be informed and want to understand the 'why' of the measures that are being taken, and can be taken, to best control the corona virus, here is an excellent article that brings it all together.

• What has been happening overall in the world
  • What control strategies have worked best and why, and why some are not working well
  • What is likely in store for the US in the next couple of weeks
  • The phases of the infection and how it gets transmitted
  • Why to aggressively control things now and why that works
  • Some insight into the longer term of what we will likely be doing and facing
This is based on a lot of different sources of information that have been appearing over the last few weeks and gives references and links if you want to explore further. The best thing here is that this article does a very good job IMHO of bringing it all together in a readable way.

I realize that some do not want to see this.... no problem. Read this if you like, or not if you do not, or set it aside for the time being.

All the variety of human nature takes over when a threat like this appears, which very, very few of us have ever encountered. IMHO: No need to judge anyone on whether you want to see this or not IMHO.... we all arrive at acceptance in a lot of different ways and on a lot of different timetables. That is just humans being human.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 PM

289 posts, read 312,262 times
When you find out about testing procedures in Idaho it'll make you sick.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...241261886.html

10 days to get results?! A machine that can do 400 tests a day sitting idle because we can't get the needed software support? Clinics telling people with symptoms to go wait in their car?

What a hodgepodge of healthcare across the US. We can do amazing things with our talent and technology but the bloat and inconsistency at an organizational level will do us in.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:17 AM

133 posts, read 289,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post
When you find out about testing procedures in Idaho it'll make you sick.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...241261886.html

10 days to get results?! A machine that can do 400 tests a day sitting idle because we can't get the needed software support? Clinics telling people with symptoms to go wait in their car?

What a hodgepodge of healthcare across the US. We can do amazing things with our talent and technology but the bloat and inconsistency at an organizational level will do us in.

I am no longer of the opinion that testing will help much, except to declare that the infected is cured. The testing kits that were used in South Korea are only 90% accurate. Think about that! If we were to test everyone LAST year when no one had the virus, we would have gotten 35 million false positives! That number vastly exceeds the number of actual infected people at present.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:58 AM

289 posts, read 312,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palangga View Post
I am no longer of the opinion that testing will help much, except to declare that the infected is cured. The testing kits that were used in South Korea are only 90% accurate. Think about that! If we were to test everyone LAST year when no one had the virus, we would have gotten 35 million false positives! That number vastly exceeds the number of actual infected people at present.
You do make a good point. But it does sound like that's what allowed South Korea to tackle it as fast as they did when they exploded pretty quickly. Even the flu shot can be less than 20% effective in any given flu season. This year it's supposedly 46% effective. Regardless, the quicker you can contain the affected the better you can slow down transmission. Not necessarily keep them in a hospital bed but at least make an honest attempt at staying home. I think it's just a matter of playing the numbers. But playing the numbers in a country as large and populated as ours is so much more daunting than doing such in South Korea. Plus we're a lot more stubborn and defiant here.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:38 PM

492 posts, read 235,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palangga View Post
best thing is to go to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

You can look up your age group, and if you have any comorbidities, it has the percentage listed for death.

here is an example of what they have.

Age of Coronavirus Deaths
COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old
no fatalities

Old 03-22-2020, 01:39 PM

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
Cardiovascular disease
13.2%
10.5%
Diabetes
9.2%
7.3%
Chronic respiratory disease
8.0%
6.3%
Hypertension
8.4%
6.0%
Cancer
7.6%
5.6%
no pre-existing conditions
0.9%

I am at .09%.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:12 PM

2,680 posts, read 1,384,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post
A couple in front of us at Winco yesterday purchased $600 worth of groceries! Included were New York steaks. The best part... they used EBT to pay for some or most of it. What a great system we have.
In this situation they may have been buying for multiple households. I imagine a lot of people are buying for older relatives as well to keep them from having to go out to the store. Things are always what they appear to be. And this is the time for us all to be pulling together.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:29 PM

There is a great deal of obese unhealthy folks in the treasure valley. folks with multiple health issues. these folks need to stay inside and let this pass or they will be gone. risk factors are huge here. even the young here are obese. all obese folks should be required to lock down. For there own safety.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:07 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,905,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
There is a great deal of obese unhealthy folks in the treasure valley. folks with multiple health issues. these folks need to stay inside and let this pass or they will be gone. risk factors are huge here. even the young here are obese. all obese folks should be required to lock down. For there own safety.
Lol, thus a good portion of the USA.

Here is a link to the breakdown of obesity per state. Idaho isn't worse than most other states.

https://www.americashealthrankings.o...esity/state/ID

This finding shows Idaho is the 16th most healthy state.

https://www.americashealthrankings.o...erall/state/ID

Boise is often ranked as one of the healthiest and most fit cities in the nation. Too many links to post for this one.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Lol, thus a good portion of the USA.

Here is a link to the breakdown of obesity per state. Idaho isn't worse than most other states.

https://www.americashealthrankings.o...esity/state/ID

This finding shows Idaho is the 16th most healthy state.

https://www.americashealthrankings.o...erall/state/ID

Boise is often ranked as one of the healthiest and most fit cities in the nation. Too many links to post for this one.
Those rankings on Boise being one of the healthiest states is pure propaganda. Go to the Boise mall and just sit there and watch people. I would put the obesity rate at least 50%. Don't believe everything you read. I blame a great deal on the medical system here. They just do not care. My Doctor here does not even measure your waist line. What a joke. The size of your waist tells a great deal.

My last Doctor as part of the check up always measured your waist. Here they do nothing. Most folks on my block here are obese, even there kids.

Every new business out here is just food places. Go down Eagle road. A new business of eatery's lined up and down the road. Drive throughs packed at all hours. In my age group of 50-60 I was say the obesity rate is 75%. We just had a 62 year old die weighing 475. You don't hear about this but I do. This happens all the time. They have to send over a special team to pick these folks up and cart them off to the coroner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area