Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 08:45 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,160,940 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if the schools will have to make up time for the extra month (or however long it ends up being) by staying in session longer this summer?

I've heard some schools are doing virtual classes, but I hadn't heard that Boise is, or that we even have the capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 10:18 AM

32,953 posts, read 36,412,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalijaasbj View Post
No, we do not have a child died here in USA. There was a 17 y.o. Boy who supposedly had died of coronAvirus. Eventually they figured out that he died of Septic shock.
Thanks for the update.

John, vinegar isn't a good substitute for honey.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:39 PM

355 posts, read 565,373 times
Default Epidemiologist Behind Highly-Cited Coronavirus Model Drastically Revises Model

https://www.dailywire.com/news/epide...hIFFGUM0OpYFVc

Some tidbits from the article:
Ferguson’s model projected 2.2 million dead people in the United States and 500,000 in the U.K. from COVID-19 if no action were taken to slow the virus and blunt its curve.

However, after just one day of ordered lockdowns in the U.K., Ferguson is presenting drastically downgraded estimates, revealing that far more people likely have the virus than his team figured. Now, the epidemiologist predicts, hospitals will be just fine taking on COVID-19 patients and estimates 20,000 or far fewer people will die from the virus itself or from its agitation of other ailments, as reported by New Scientist Wednesday.

Ferguson thus dropped his prediction from 500,000 dead to 20,000.

“He now says both that the U.K. should have enough ICU beds and that the coronavirus will probably kill under 20,000 people in the U.K. — more than 1/2 of whom would have died by the end of the year in any case [because] they were so old and sick,” he wrote.

We'll see how this pans out, but the remedies (closing of businesses and economic implications that go along with it) can't be worse than the virus itself. I hope we don't see too many people losing their jobs and abilities to take care of their families due to an overreaction.

I also understand that we can't take this too lightly, so the right thing to do is probably somewhere in the middle.

When things return to normal, hopefully we learned something (or things) from this.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:22 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,160,940 times
Ada County reported the first confirmed covid-19 death here. Over 60 with pre-existing health ocnditions. Time for me to stay indoors for a while.

I have my usual food to last another week, and enough other stuff in the cupboard and freezer to last another. Then it's probably time to start ordering for delivery for a while.

In case you didn't know, in addition to the usual sources to deliver groceries (Fred Meyer, Albertson's, Whole foods, etc.) some restaurants are selling stuff too including toilet paper and gloves.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/enter...mainstage_lead

Old 03-28-2020, 01:56 PM

347 posts, read 402,864 times
Guy behind me at Albertsons this morning was buying TP

Old 03-28-2020, 02:12 PM

289 posts, read 312,262 times
One big flaw with these reports is they share the news of each death but not the details of them, other than when they mention pre-existing health conditions. Perfectly healthy young people also can die - and do die - from influenza. Much of the time it's from a following bacterial infection. So, while this current pandemic is certainly very serious, we're not getting all of the facts but we're closely monitoring the death counter and reacting with every uptick. I do agree, however, that older folks should probably be sheltered as much as possible for a while.

We already have the info and the procedures to better protect ourselves. Inducing more panic isn't going to help. Rather, it would probably just makes things worse. Thorough hygiene is our best friend.

Last edited by diceyhot; 03-28-2020 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-29-2020, 03:24 AM

5,587 posts, read 5,029,295 times
https://time.com/5811938/blaine-coun...o-coronavirus/

Old 03-30-2020, 09:04 AM

492 posts, read 235,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post
One big flaw with these reports is they share the news of each death but not the details of them, other than when they mention pre-existing health conditions. Perfectly healthy young people also can die - and do die - from influenza. Much of the time it's from a following bacterial infection. So, while this current pandemic is certainly very serious, we're not getting all of the facts but we're closely monitoring the death counter and reacting with every uptick. I do agree, however, that older folks should probably be sheltered as much as possible for a while.

We already have the info and the procedures to better protect ourselves. Inducing more panic isn't going to help. Rather, it would probably just makes things worse. Thorough hygiene is our best friend.
Mostly all the deaths are related to obesity and all it's problems associated with it. So not only old folks but obese folks should stay isolated for a while.

The king of the immune system is the liver. If your obese and have a fatty liver it is inhibited from performing it's function. Now add in high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes all with all the prescription pills and you are a walking time bomb.

Stay inside all obese and old folks.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:49 AM

33 posts, read 17,959 times
I beg to differ. I am 65, have absolutely no health problems. Don't take pills, eat healthy, but I am over weight. Not because of what I eat, because of something genetic. I don't eat junk food, or binge eat.

I try to walk as much as I can. I'm not a walking time bomb.

There are a lot of older people who are healthy also. No one knows how this virus really works.

It attacks all ages, including infants. No one is immune.

People didn't take this virus seriously in the beginning. Now that its starting to hit home, they are finally starting to wake up.
Where you are seeing a majority of cases are around the National Airports, the larger cities with a smaller area and a large population. The deaths in the nursing homes were because of a confined area.

In the town I live in now, there are four confirmed cases. This is a town of 27,000. Two cases are in a Nursing home, and two are College students.
Right before this all hit, the two Colleges in town were on Spring Break, instead of coming back here back to the College housing, they went home. If they were infected, I'm sure they have spread it to their own home towns by now.

Without the College Students, this town is pretty empty. No one on the streets, no cars lining the sides of the road, downtown businesses closed. Except for the ones with take out food, or delivery.

However, it still hasn't stopped the toilet paper hoarding. I never could figure that one out.

For the most part, now everyone is complying with the Stay at Home.

Staying at home won't eliminate the spread, it will only slow it down, but it does help the health professionals to be able to work on a solution.

I risk exposure every day because my husband works for Walmart. They didn't start implementing any kind of safety measures for their employees until a few days ago. We sold our extra car because we were in the process of moving, so I have been basically home since the very beginning. Our moving plans are on hold for now.

People be safe, be smart, stay home.

Give this virus a chance to slow down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
Mostly all the deaths are related to obesity and all it's problems associated with it. So not only old folks but obese folks should stay isolated for a while.

The king of the immune system is the liver. If your obese and have a fatty liver it is inhibited from performing it's function. Now add in high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes all with all the prescription pills and you are a walking time bomb.

Stay inside all obese and old folks.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:13 AM

133 posts, read 289,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Does anyone know if the schools will have to make up time for the extra month (or however long it ends up being) by staying in session longer this summer?

I've heard some schools are doing virtual classes, but I hadn't heard that Boise is, or that we even have the capacity.
There is an article in the Idaho Statesman today explaining all of the disctricts' online learning plans. Unfortunately, WestAda doesn't start until 4/13 after Easter. I have been printing out math and reading comprehension worksheets online from K5learning.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area