Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 12:46 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,935,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
Mostly all the deaths are related to obesity and all it's problems associated with it. So not only old folks but obese folks should stay isolated for a while.
Where is the data showing that most of codvid 19 deaths are related to obesity?

Obesity is just one of the risk factors like being old, diabetes, asthma, serious heart condition or imunocompromised, etc.

Quote:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...gher-risk.html
People aged 65 years and older

People who live in a nursing home or long-term care facility

Other high-risk conditions could include:

People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma

People who have serious heart conditions

People who are immunocompromised including cancer treatment

People of any age with severe obesity (body mass index [BMI] >40) or certain underlying medical conditions, particularly if not well controlled, such as those with diabetes, renal failure, or liver disease might also be at risk

Many conditions can cause a person to be immunocompromised, including cancer treatment, smoking, bone marrow or organ transplantation, immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS, and prolonged use of corticosteroids and other immune weakening medications
Being senior citizens, we face higher codvid 19 risk than people under 40. We are not afraid of deaths but have been sheltering in place to help flattening the codvid curve.

EVERYBODY should follow the health guidelines to prevent spreading the virus and not just the people who are more likely to be sick or killed by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 07:00 PM

289 posts, read 312,164 times
Indeed, it is a good point that sheltering when we can and keeping distance when we're out is not only to protect ourselves but also the over all cooperative to flatten the curve and ease the burden on hospitals. It's a team effort to mitigate the effects of the virus from spreading. There's still a compromise between completely shutting down society and going about our daily business as usual.

There's also a good point that suicides in the aftermath of a meltdown in the economy could rival the deaths directly caused by the virus. It's also even harder to fight a current virus pandemic or the next when doing so from the dark ages! Gotta keep the wheels turning somehow. I think we're doing a pretty good job so far all things considered.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:15 PM

355 posts, read 565,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post
One big flaw with these reports is they share the news of each death but not the details of them, other than when they mention pre-existing health conditions. Perfectly healthy young people also can die - and do die - from influenza. Much of the time it's from a following bacterial infection. So, while this current pandemic is certainly very serious, we're not getting all of the facts but we're closely monitoring the death counter and reacting with every uptick. I do agree, however, that older folks should probably be sheltered as much as possible for a while.

We already have the info and the procedures to better protect ourselves. Inducing more panic isn't going to help. Rather, it would probably just makes things worse. Thorough hygiene is our best friend.
I agree. What we also aren't being told (because we don't know it) is how many people have it or had it, and either had no symptoms or mild symptoms. When they come out with the test that is widely available and also offers fast results to see if we have the antibodies to show that we had it, I think the numbers will be surprising.

Right now there could be thousands that had it and either didn't even know it, or thought they had a cold or the flu. The problem with the way we're doing it now (although we don't have a choice because of shortages of testing kits and other resources) is that if someone has symptoms and goes into the hospital, or unfortunately dies, we inflate the count. We can tell 100% of the time if someone died from Coronavirus, but have no idea how many others had it.

We had 61,000 people die from the flu in the 2017-2018 flu season in the U.S. alone, and I didn't hear a peep about it. That is a LOT of people!

Not taking this too lightly, but we're being fed what they want to feed us, either due to ignorance, lack of resources or purposely. We'll likely find out which at some point. Lots of good things going on with existing medications that seem to help and with using the plasma from patients that have recovered from it that might help those with it.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:37 PM

5,587 posts, read 5,027,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangjoey View Post
I agree. What we also aren't being told (because we don't know it) is how many people have it or had it, and either had no symptoms or mild symptoms. When they come out with the test that is widely available and also offers fast results to see if we have the antibodies to show that we had it, I think the numbers will be surprising.

Right now there could be thousands that had it and either didn't even know it, or thought they had a cold or the flu. The problem with the way we're doing it now (although we don't have a choice because of shortages of testing kits and other resources) is that if someone has symptoms and goes into the hospital, or unfortunately dies, we inflate the count. We can tell 100% of the time if someone died from Coronavirus, but have no idea how many others had it.

We had 61,000 people die from the flu in the 2017-2018 flu season in the U.S. alone, and I didn't hear a peep about it. That is a LOT of people!

Not taking this too lightly, but we're being fed what they want to feed us, either due to ignorance, lack of resources or purposely. We'll likely find out which at some point. Lots of good things going on with existing medications that seem to help and with using the plasma from patients that have recovered from it that might help those with it.
iS this part of the Agenda 21 conspiracy????

Old 03-30-2020, 10:19 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,765,471 times
It would perhaps be the #1 thing I find most disconcerting about this entire mess. How come all the deaths in the last two Flu seasons didn't even make the news whatsoever? Now it's a Pandemic when previous seasons of the flu killed 25 times the number of people. So I suppose perhaps (and it's a stretch) that the COVID-19 is so dang easily spread that it's a bit spooky. It appears that this particular strain has a real propensity for destroying lung tissues as compared to typical Flu's. Oh well.....let's hope they get a good bead on it soon enough. Life in quarantine sure is a bummer

Old 03-30-2020, 11:17 PM

5,587 posts, read 5,027,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
It would perhaps be the #1 thing I find most disconcerting about this entire mess. How come all the deaths in the last two Flu seasons didn't even make the news whatsoever? Now it's a Pandemic when previous seasons of the flu killed 25 times the number of people. So I suppose perhaps (and it's a stretch) that the COVID-19 is so dang easily spread that it's a bit spooky. It appears that this particular strain has a real propensity for destroying lung tissues as compared to typical Flu's. Oh well.....let's hope they get a good bead on it soon enough. Life in quarantine sure is a bummer
To destroy the economy and eliminate population. Enact population control.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:08 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,477,582 times
Just for a little more perspective on this and the seasonal flu:

Over the last 9 years the seasonal flu death estimated from the CDC s varied from 12,000 to 61,000 for the USA, with an average of somewhere around 35,000 per year. The numbers may be higher or lower in each year as these are just estimates. They also estimate total symptomatic cases of the flu and that ended up around 34M per year. So that is your source of the typical flu mortality of 0.1%, and is expressed in terms of deaths relative to symptomatic cases. Here is the data: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

So to really compare the 2 we would need to figure out the number of symptomatic cases of corona, not the total cases including those with no symptoms.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:18 AM

355 posts, read 565,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
iS this part of the Agenda 21 conspiracy????
Not sure if you're trying to be coy, or are maybe just uninformed. Hopefully the former...

Case in point. Trump came out and said he was encouraged to hear that the malaria drug chloroquine was showing positive results in the possible treatment of Covid-19. One of the first stories was a man in Maricopa County, Ariz who died taking it to self-medicate. But, he didn't take chloroquine in a prescription or anything doctor-prescribed. What did he take exactly? Fish tank cleaner. Yes, he and his wife ate fish tank cleaner, because one of the ingrediants is chloroquine.

Did the media say that he ate fish tank cleaner? No, they said that Trump likes chloroquine, a man took it, and died. Pretty sad, in my opinion.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:19 AM

229 posts, read 218,028 times
Keep in mind the U.S. had over 575 deaths yesterday, with the numbers expected to rise. If we average that many deaths per day thru the end of May, that is 35,000 deaths, with Social Distancing! If we did status quo that number could well be a million by the end of May.

This is a new virus that our bodies haven't seen, and it will take out alot of people, I plaud the government for taking this seriously.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:40 AM

289 posts, read 312,164 times
I'm still of the opinion that we should do our best to decide on a date to start lifting closures based on monitoring new daily cases rather than hiding out until the dust has settled. Hopefully by then we've learned well enough the practices of social distancing and that will still slow the spread. I understand this is mostly new to us so the learning curve is steep. The temporary closures can act two-fold as a measure to both dramatically slow the spread and also become accustomed to life with social distancing. But we can't stay closed until it's over. It's never going to be over. So Trump being optimistic about opening back up sometime in April isn't ludicrous. Hopefully we've adapted enough by then to live with this virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area