Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 AM

81 posts, read 399,027 times

Advertisements

At least it seems that way for office jobs.
I've been looking for work there before we move and haven't found anything decent. Employers paying their people around $10-$13 an hour...that's horrible. Sure, housing is cheaper...but if they don't offer benefits and pay you so little, then i'm just as bad off in Boise as I am in Washington state.

Is there anywhere in boise that offers a decent wage? like say around $14-15 for data entry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 10:28 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,296,649 times
I'm not sure what wages are being offered, however in southeast Idaho it seems that everyone is hiring and you could practically set your own wage.

The boarding kennel I work at is currently hiring above min. wage with benefits and so far we've had to increase our offer twice as we've had no bites.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:26 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,755,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
At least it seems that way for office jobs.
I've been looking for work there before we move and haven't found anything decent. Employers paying their people around $10-$13 an hour...that's horrible. Sure, housing is cheaper...but if they don't offer benefits and pay you so little, then i'm just as bad off in Boise as I am in Washington state.

Is there anywhere in boise that offers a decent wage? like say around $14-15 for data entry?
Yes, that’s the way it appears to me as well, based on the on-line job postings. I would love to take a serious look at Boise with relocation in mind and was planning on going this week, but the job prospects look dismal from where I sit. I would be looking for something like an accounting clerk position. I find it hard to understand why wages remain so low with an unemployment rate that is among the lowest in the US.

I’d love to take a trip up there, but am having a hard time justifying the expense given the long odds of finding a living wage very quickly. Denver’s job boards, on the other hand, are overflowing with interesting opportunities. I lost my enthusiasm for Denver, though, a long time ago. It is definitely not the place it once was. It’s getting harder and harder to find a win – win.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:15 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,795,287 times
Cool Look, the truth is....

good paying jobs are difficult to find in Idaho and even if you get one, it doesn't mean that you will keep it ! Then what will you do ??? Boise is a wonderful place to live , but it is a Right to Work state and jobs and pay STINK for the majority of folks here . I wish it weren't true or that I saw some good paying companies moving here, but so far (2+ yrs) that hasn't happened yet, nor do I expect it to any time soon I'm afraid .

Now I'm not trying to scare anyone from coming to Idaho or Boise . There are a lot of great things about the area and people ! It is truly a wonderful place to live!!! But the low unemployment rate that they speak of is a joke (IMHO )! There are plenty of people who are unemployed that are not counted in the unemployment rate (and currently I'm one of them ). Then you have quite a few folks that are under-employed, and plain old dissatisfied with their employer who would love to find a better job, but alas there are very few available .

I've heard that there are quite a few employers who can't find enough people to fill the under $10 an hour jobs mainly in retail and food service, but that is a problem everywhere . Unfortunately I can't LIVE on those wages ! And at one time, many of the new people coming here went into some aspect of Real Estate which paid above average wages, but that industry has slowed down tremendously in the past year (just like everywhere else in the US) .

So please come and check out our lovely city / state ! But only move here IF you're the type that can find work no matter where you live, or you can work from home, or you will be opening up your own business, or you already have a good job lined up, or you have loads of cash $$$$ ! Otherwise, you may very well be disappointed and need to move again .

I wish you all the Best of Luck in your search for a new home !!!

Warm regards from,

~HDL~

Old 10-23-2007, 09:04 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,917,758 times
There are many, many Boiseans and Idahoan's who have good paying jobs and love their jobs and employers. The Boise job market has a lot of opportunity and there are a lot of good paying jobs, but you have to compete to get them....just like in any other city. All of us who have good paying jobs just don't talk about it I guess. Would you ever see a thread for citizens who have good paying jobs?
Probably not, since people who are dissatisfied generally make their opinions heard. Kind of like that saying...if you are happy you don't tell people, if you are unhappy about something you tell many people.
I can understand the frustration of looking for a good paying job, but Boise is no different than anywhere else. A liveable wage is an issue all over this nation in large cities and small cities.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,218,452 times
Nothing good comes easy and the great jobs aren't going to be handed to you, you will have to do your homework. Boise is a popular place to move and you will be competing with many people who have equal or better skills than yourself.

Most states are Right to Work with the exception of I believe four states in the South so that has no bearing on anything. As mentioned before networking with people is a great resource for finding good jobs. You might have to accept something that may not be as appealing as what you'd like to have, but it will get you over here and then once you become established and start meeting people you will have the opportunity to network. One recruiter suggested to me that you try and get a Boise phone number and even a Boise address if you can. Employers don't always want to work with someone from the outside because they think it could be a hassle.

Everyone wants a higher paying job -stand in line. Not trying to sound harsh, but just trying to be realistic and help people get in the right mind-frame. Seek a recuiter, join a club, and get out there and meet people. Have a game plan and stay focused on the goal. It might not happen overnight, but if you remain positive you might have a better chance of capturing that ideal job. Most people don't usually land every job they apply for-it's very competitive. If you keep that in mind as you're looking, and maintain a realistic outlook you will less likely be disappointed. Don't give up, get out there and fight for what you want. Ok there's my pep talk.

Listed below is an occupational Employment and Wage Report from the Idaho Department of Labor. Do take the time to read the introduction part so you understand how this report works. You might find the information useful in comparing your job where you are currently to what you might expect in Idaho as far as wage/salary. It might also give you some job ideas.

http://lmi.idaho.gov/Portals/13/PDFS...y%20Report.pdf

Ghost Poet- Data entry is on page 28- another idea for you- have you considered looking for work at the United States Postal Office? I seem to recall they open a lot of jobs for data entry around this time for the holidays.

Also check out the home page of Idaho Department of Labor below.

LMI Home

There is a lot of good information on these websites, they list facts not people's opinions. If you are considering the Boise-Metro area the counties you would be interested in are Ada and Canyon.

Also look here:
Workforce & Education (http://www.boisechamber.org/work/index.htm - broken link)

One more thing- Look at the areas largest employers. Click on this and scroll down for a list.

Regional Data (http://www.bvep.org/site-selection/labor-market-data.aspx - broken link)

Old 10-23-2007, 03:38 PM

434 posts, read 3,180,831 times
Most of the good jobs in Idaho are unadvertised and in many cases do not exist yet. Because of the rapid growth in Idaho, some companies will create a new position if the right person comes along. So it doesn't hurt to send a resume to company that looks like a good fit even if they do not have any openings.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:54 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,755,688 times
Syringaloid and Torrie, my conclusion was based on countless hours of factual research and most certainly not on forum opinions.

I’m not sure who you are addressing here, but I find both of your messages a bit irritating and condescending. In your posts we have two OPINIONS that ask us to ignore the FACTS posted in numerous job ads posted on the Monster and Idaho Statesman sites, to name just two of the references I based my viewpoint on. I am not swayed by others’ opinions – especially opinions that seem to be at odds with widely available factual data.

There are indeed big differences between metro areas in all respects, not the least of which is the quantity and quality of job opportunities. Factual research reveals that some of Idaho’s major employers aren’t so major any more. Within the last few days, a Statesman story appeared telling of Micron’s plan to cut hundreds more jobs and we all know what happened with Albertson’s. My recent experience is in the grocery business and I know lots of people who have had to leave Boise as a result.

When you consider the quantity of posted jobs and the wages offered, it doesn’t look good, folks, compared to some other areas. And, yes, of course I have factored in Boise's lower cost of living.

I have no doubt about some of the benefits of Boise living. But it seems clear that earning a living there could be tough - tough(er) than in some other areas. Pie in the sky optimism won’t pay bills.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:47 PM

CrownVic95 sorry you took my post that way- it wasn't meant to be condescending. All I'm trying to do is give people resources to help find jobs and information and offer encouragement.

The websites I offered have nothing to do with my opinion and I never asked you to ignore anything. They are statistics taken by the state and the city. How you want to decipher that information is up to you. A few of us on the forum have mentioned that networking is where the white collar jobs are at- I think Micrguy is one of them that had experienced this, but I can't speak for him. My husband came over here for a white collar job and recently will be moving into another white collar job due to networking so case in point. No pie in the sky here, we did exactly what I've been telling others to try, and it worked for us.

Just trying to help you and others out, give you ideas, make your dreams come true, nothing else, sorry you took it the wrong way. I wish you all the best.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM

More info on networking:

StarTribune.com | Jobs: Networking

Successful job search networking : CollegeRecruiter.com Insights by Career Counselors Blog (http://www.collegerecruiter.com/career-counselors/archives/2007/10/successful_job_search_networki.php - broken link)

Micrguy, my husband got his recent job just by what you suggested- the position was created for him due to the rapid growth in Idaho and the fact he was the right person for the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area