Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 02:42 PM

181 posts, read 338,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmess View Post
Paperbacks will never become obsolete. eBooks may become trendy and popular, but there's still nothing like holding a real book in my hands and using my fingers to turn the pages. And the smell of books! No eBook can ever be able to replace the smell. Don't you just love the distinct smell of new and old books?
Love the smell of old and new books? Glue, chemicals, dust mites, booklice, and mold? To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 02:55 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
I love books and reading and everything about reading. The weight of the book in my hands, turning the pages, the feel of paper that tranmits wisdom, laughter, sadness and story.
I like the way books look in my home. My favorite books grace my book shelves and tell those who enter my home a little bit about me.
For me Kindle will never replace a book.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:06 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
I love to read, addicted to it actually, and still love books....and yet.

Here's a recent example. I was trying to read Stephen King's Under the Dome, at night, in bed, and DARN if that thing wasn't heavy!!! I gave the hardback to my SO when I was finished and said "You may want to download this instead".

Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,288 times
Speaking of reading...I love to go to the library. Sometimes when I have time to kill, I'll just go through the aisles and get books on different subjects and hang out and read.
I like taking the kids too, and have them read with me or now my grandson is actually old enough to be interested in the baby books with the contrasting colors that babies like...so I can start taking him

Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
In all honesty, I can't see why it has to become a choice. All of us who truly love to read will always like the feel of a book. But that doesn't mean that it's necessary to rebel against another form of presentation. It isn't hard on the eyes. It holds hundreds of books which makes it a boon for people who travel extensively. Not having to lug a backpack with all those books on a trip is quite wonderful. Invalids or otherwise housebound folks can get the newest books in under a minute just for the asking. (And the asking price, of course)

When audio books hit the market, they were wonderful for people with limited visual capacity, and yet, they didn't replace the printed publications, did they?

Imagine, a world of textbooks in one compact, convenient, easy-to-carry vehicle, freeing students from the backache engendered by lugging the "real thing" to each class and home and back to school again.

While I may not need every modern invention or technical gadget that is available, some of them do make sense and those I embrace.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
In all honesty, I can't see why it has to become a choice. All of us who truly love to read will always like the feel of a book. But that doesn't mean that it's necessary to rebel against another form of presentation. It isn't hard on the eyes. It holds hundreds of books which makes it a boon for people who travel extensively. Not having to lug a backpack with all those books on a trip is quite wonderful. Invalids or otherwise housebound folks can get the newest books in under a minute just for the asking. (And the asking price, of course)

When audio books hit the market, they were wonderful for people with limited visual capacity, and yet, they didn't replace the printed publications, did they?

Imagine, a world of textbooks in one compact, convenient, easy-to-carry vehicle, freeing students from the backache engendered by lugging the "real thing" to each class and home and back to school again.

While I may not need every modern invention or technical gadget that is available, some of them do make sense and those I embrace.
I agree with much of your post. A local high school is doing the "E-Book" text book this year. I'm all for it as long as facts aren't changed to suit a political belief ( Texas Dept. Of Education).
I doubt I'll ever own one-I don't need any more battery operated gadgets and I just like books.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I agree with much of your post. A local high school is doing the "E-Book" text book this year. I'm all for it as long as facts aren't changed to suit a political belief ( Texas Dept. Of Education).
I doubt I'll ever own one-I don't need any more battery operated gadgets and I just like books.
That's okay, Vaughn...That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:46 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Well, I didn't even have a microwave until 1998 and I never owned a VCR when there were VCRs, so I don't suppose I will ever get an E-reader. I can see that there would be advantages to it, but overall, I just like books.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

100,000 reps to you! I don't get why some people have to make electronic innovations into either issues of snobbery or supreme enlightenment. When a new electronic gadget comes out some feel an obligation to either condemn or embrace it. But neither is necessary. It's there for those who want it. Or not.

I will never get an I-phone or the like but I think they are are wonderful invention. I just do not feel the need for them or the like in my life.

These gadgets are all about choices and what makes one's life easier or more pleasurable. If that doesn't work for some, they do not have to look down on others for choosing (or not choosing) these things.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
100,000 reps to you! I don't get why some people have to make electronic innovations into either issues of snobbery or supreme enlightenment. When a new electronic gadget comes out some feel an obligation to either condemn or embrace it. But neither is necessary. It's there for those who want it. Or not.

I will never get an I-phone or the like but I think they are are wonderful invention. I just do not feel the need for them or the like in my life.

These gadgets are all about choices and what makes one's life easier or more pleasurable. If that doesn't work for some, they do not have to look down on others for choosing (or not choosing) these things.
Some people decide that those who don't embrace the "feel of a book" are infidels.

I have been reading since I was three years old. That's 72 years. (or 504 in dog years) Do I enjoy the feel of a book? You betcha. I've handled thousands of them. Having a Kindle doesn't mean I'll never read a "real" book again. Not all books are available in e-reader version.

I'm with you, Minervah. Lots of stuff out there that amazes me and I'm open to checking it out to see if it has any application to my life. If it doesn't, I'll pass, but realize that other people may have a need or a want for these gizmos and doo-dads. Two of my sons are techno-savvy and I marvel at the electronics that they have. And they have lots. But nothing that I feel will enrich my life or help me with the housework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books